• Ahoy there! Why not join the UK’s largest cruising forum? The Cruise.co.uk forum is the perfect place to meet and interact with likeminded cruisers to have invaluable conversations. Whether you're a veteran cruiser or looking to set sail on the sea for the first time, everyone is welcome on our forum to participate in the hottest conversations in the cruising world. So, what are you waiting for? Join the forum today by clicking here to register!

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Cocktail dress

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Walker, Seascale View Post
    Let's keep an even bigger secret......we actually enjoyed it! (Hide this from Bosscat!;)).
    You weren't with the Really Big Sing?
    Jo.
    am I missing something here? whats wrong with Louis cruises?
    don't want to work, just want to cruise.

Comment

Originally posted by Morton View Post
      Ahh, you see, that's what a husband is for in this house. He does everything. Me? I just have 'The List' and make sure everything on it is packed. I agree with you the holiday starts from shutting the front door. I enjoy it all, including the travel.
      lucky you

Comment

Originally posted by Issyalex, Glasgow View Post
        lucky you
        Thank you Issy. Yes, I am lucky.

Comment

....er, old ships, can seem mismanaged, not a lot to do on board, and safety record not too good, esp. as Sea Diamond sank at Santorini in '07......Jo.
          Jo.

Comment

Nothing really Issy except the words cruise line don't quite ring true. I went on a 3 night 'cruise' (???excursion???) to Egypt & Israel and while I thoroughly enjoyed the experience, more than 3 nights might have been a bit difficult!!! They do the quick turnaround busy busy 2/3 nighters from Cyprus very well for the money they charge! Another interesting fact about Louis is that most Thompson ships are leased from them!

Comment

Originally posted by Walker, Seascale View Post
              ....er, old ships, can seem mismanaged, not a lot to do on board, and safety record not too good, esp. as Sea Diamond sank at Santorini in '07......Jo.
              Oh I see

Comment

Hi All
                Can any of you experienced cruisers tell me if I need a long formal gown for the captains cocktail party on Fred Olsen? I have been lucky in the sales and bought 3 rather good cocktail dresses but am wondering if I need something full lengh. I pack the night before with no list have only had one disaster left all my Husnands shoes behind all he had were desert boots and sandals untill we bought a new pair. It was funny to see him in Tux and brown sandals

Comment

Originally posted by Dartcruiser, dartcruiser View Post
                  Hi All
                  Can any of you experienced cruisers tell me if I need a long formal gown for the captains cocktail party on Fred Olsen? I have been lucky in the sales and bought 3 rather good cocktail dresses but am wondering if I need something full lengh. I pack the night before with no list have only had one disaster left all my Husnands shoes behind all he had were desert boots and sandals untill we bought a new pair. It was funny to see him in Tux and brown sandals
                  Now I have had a lovely chuckle before disappearing off to bed and grateful I am for it too. HOWEVER, I would have had my funny bone tickled even more had he worn his desert boots for the formal do! Do you have any pictures?

Personally, I think your cocktail dresses are just perfect for drinkies with the boss! I too invested in a few standard length cocktail dresses in the sales mostly because I was beginning to feel that I was the only one wearing full length evening dress (of the cocktail as opposed to ball gown variety) I will almost certainly take one long one on my next jaunt but only really because I only bought two short ones! Personally, I think accessories can transform a cocktail dress in to a very formal affair, a sparkling bag, heels, gem studded shrug,elegant wrap, hair jewellery etc etc! Whatever you decide will be right so enjoy!

Comment

Hi All
                    This wasn't on Arcadia to the Canaries, by any chance?? We sat near a couple and the chap appeared on the formal night in just such an 'ensemble' and we were thinking he was just the rebellious type..Carol

Comment

Hi All
                      That's one way to get your own back for not helping you pack :D

Comment

Hi Embarco. Re Evening bag.
                        I think you are worrying too much about this lovely forth coming voyage. just pack your bags and go girl! Evening bags, well it doesn,t have to have anything inside. It could be a pretty lace hankie. ( not paper tissues) a lip stick for after dinner touch ups. A small brush/comb. No money because you wont need it. If I was 30 years younger I may have had a more personal items for women, or something in case I go lucky! Other than that carry it empty. It will still look the part.
                        As for your suitcase take one big enough to carry what you need. There will be room for it somewhere on the ship, if not in your room. A girl can never have too many bags and shoes so remember that. LOL. Maggiemou.
                        Last edited by MAGGIEMOU, CYPRUS; 20th January 2010, 09:07 PM.

Comment

I apologise if this has been asked before, but how many formal nights might i expect on a 14 night Royal Caribbean cruise, and does formal dress extend to children

Comment

There will be 3 formal, 3 smart casual and 8 casual.

Dress can vary sometimes depending on which ship and where you are cruising to. What ages are the children.
                            If young then just a smart pair of trousers with a nice shirt will do for the boys and every girl has a party dress in her wardrobe? If they are a little older, I adapt for boys, the school uniform: black school trousers put with a nice white shirt and a bow tie and black school shoes.
                            If you can give more detail in your question ie what ship, where and ages of children, we can give a more specific answer.

Comment

Originally posted by MAGGIEMOU, CYPRUS View Post
                              It could be a pretty lace hankie. ( not paper tissues)

NO, NO, NO how to spread all kinds of diseases inc. Norovirus ~ disposable tissues, in the bin followed by hand washing in hot water with soap. Never ever real handkerchiefs every time you touch them you are spreading multiplying bacteria all over the inside of the ship.
                              We are all atheists about most of the gods that humanity has ever believed in. Some of us just go one god further.sigpic

Comment

Sorry but I cant use paper tissues. They give me ALLERGIES and asthma so I would be sneezing not stop and have breathing problems. Where If I carry a nice cotton hankie I never need it! Just take it just in case I need it.
                                I have experienced having Novo virus whilst on the QE2. So know what it is like and would not wish to inflict it anyone. I was told by the Doctor that it is airborne so you never know when you may get it, or how. I always take every percaution I can as I have caught it twice in the passed two years. Once on QE2, and once on land whilst in a hotel.

Comment

We use cookies to give you the
                                best experience possible.

By continuing to use our website you
                                agree to our cookie policy

Working...
                                X