• Ahoy there! Why not join the UK’s largest cruising forum? The Cruise.co.uk forum is the perfect place to meet and interact with likeminded cruisers to have invaluable conversations. Whether you're a veteran cruiser or looking to set sail on the sea for the first time, everyone is welcome on our forum to participate in the hottest conversations in the cruising world. So, what are you waiting for? Join the forum today by clicking here to register!

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Having a crisis!! Ladies help?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Having a crisis!! Ladies help?

In a wild and impetuous moment, earlier this year I booked a Cruise on Queen Victoria, for this November. Reason, the food on the QE2, some years ago was absolutely brilliant, have not been able to match it since! We are both lovers of fine food, wines etc.. We spend quite a bit of time in France & have found only a handful of Restaurants who can match that memory.

For that time, on the QE2, I bought long dresses and whilst I 'fitted in', I hated wearing them!. So the Charity Shop was pleased when I got back!

I am good at trouser suits( I wear them for work - all the time) and smart & very smart casual. So am OK with elegant casual on Cunard & Semi Formal ( I think), but 'defeated' by the 'Balls'. Which are: 'Black & White', 'Masquerade' & 'Victoriana'.

I have just spent a fortune on a red, wide legged, floaty trouser suit, for the 'Masquerade Ball' & despite my husband saying 'Wow' - I think the local 'Nearly New' shop might benefit before I go!! I just do NOT feel comfortable in it!

I already have black evening trousers - 'wide and heavy' and 'wide and floaty', any ideas you might have, would be welcomed. I don't do 'Ballgowns' or ' Cocktail Dresses'

I am working away for much of the time before we go! Hence 'Panic'!!

Thanks in anticipation, Lizzie
    Last edited by Lizzie, Lymington; 11th October 2009, 10:24 PM. Reason: Tired!
    Lizzie sigpic

Originally posted by Lizzie, Lymington View Post
    In a wild and impetuous moment, earlier this year I booked a Cruise on Queen Victoria, for this November. Reason, the food on the QE2, some years ago was absolutely brilliant, have not been able to match it since! We are both lovers of fine food, wines etc.. We spend quite a bit of time in France & have found only a handful of Restaurants who can match that memory.

For that time, on the QE2, I bought long dresses and whilst I 'fitted in', I hated wearing them!. So the Charity Shop was pleased when I got back!

I am good at trouser suits( I wear them for work - all the time) and smart & very smart casual. So am OK with elegant casual on Cunard & Semi Formal ( I think), but 'defeated' by the 'Balls'. Which are: 'Black & White', 'Masquerade' & 'Victoriana'.

I have just spent a fortune on a red, wide legged, floaty trouser suit, for the 'Masquerade Ball' & despite my husband saying 'Wow' - I think the local 'Nearly New' shop might benefit before I go!! I just do NOT feel comfortable in it!

I already have black evening trousers - 'wide and heavy' and 'wide and floaty', any ideas you might have, would be welcomed. I don't do 'Ballgowns' or ' Cocktail Dresses'

I am working away for much of the time before we go! Hence 'Panic'!!

Thanks in anticipation, Lizzie
    Good morning Lizzie, I'm not a dress person either if I can help it but I do have them in the back of the wardrobe. I do black,black and for a change navy. Seriously, I find for ease of packing, Joseph Ribkoff evening trouser outfits hard to beat and very reasonably priced. I have a couple which I call 'my cruise' outfits. They're very light and elegant and useful for less glam nights when inter changed with some rather nice silk tops and over shirts. As for ball wear, You already have one outfit. If your husband is anything like mine, he doesn't comment at all on my clothes apart from an occasional 'hmm that's not bad' which is the height of praise. Take it. Wear it and pack it away until the next cruise. He wouldn't say that unless he meant it would he? Can't you bite the bullitt and get another black long dress? I have been to many balls landside and to be frank, the dresses these days are def. more 'long' than 'gowns'.I don't like cocktail dresses, but because of the nature of OH's work, I have them. I always stick a silk one in the case. I can't imagine you panicking, you seem 'so together'. Let's face it Lizzie, it doesn't really matter too much. If you have drop dead elegant clothes which of course you will accessorize to the hilt and wear with great panache, you will be fine. Only you can make yourself feel 'iffy'. I do hope you have a wonderful cruise. J x

Comment

Sequins are very much in at the moment. If you already have some lovely evening trousers, why not get a full sequined top. I saw some at the weekend in Matalan at a silly price - very reasonable. I call it disposoable clothing. Buy it, wear it, chuck it. I have to say they looked really classy and dressy.

Comment

I am worried about the red suit that you don't feel comfortable in, if that was me it would be going back and swopped for something else. The black and white should be straightforward but Victorian? I suppose some feathers in you hair and a fan would be a start. Is your itinerary going anywhere near Venice where you could pick up a cheap mask? or try fancy dress shops as they often sell them. I have got some great things from Ebay, sometimes with the tags still attached and at a fraction of the original cost. Good luck..Carol

Comment

If you are not really into wearing dresses then your best bet would be to stick to the evening trousers and get some fab tops to wear the shops are full of them at the moment ,,have a fab cruise
          life is great :D

Comment

Dear J, Bradbury, Carol & Seasick. Thanks so much for taking time out to reply & for your good wishes. Feeling a little calmer today, although I am usually 'together' J, I wasn't when I wrote this post!! Some very good ideas, I will see if I can take the red outfit back( Doubt it, bought it a month ago!) & apart from the startling colour, after 18 days in France recently, it's also a bit tight! Like the idea of sequins - I do have a black jacket from India with lots of sequins in intricate patterns, might also look for another one. Also the feathers & fan would be a good step towards Victorian. Otherwise it will be 'dressy tops' with the floaty black trousers & as you say J,accessorized to the hilt!! Will be 'hitting the Shops and Ebay, when I next get the chance! Lizzie x
            Last edited by Lizzie, Lymington; 12th October 2009, 07:07 PM. Reason: Missed a bit!
            Lizzie sigpic

Comment

Hi Lizzie

Just to add I agree with the others. I'm a dress girl at heart (even when we go out here), however our last cruise I saw some women dressed in trousers and they looked very elegant. I think the secret is if you feel good then you look good.

Or you could stop at home and I could take your place, now that could be the answer:D Just let me know.

Comment

Thanks Red Wine Girl, had it been last night - you could have gone in my place, lost all perspective!! I do feel good in 'dressy' trousers, pleased you thought they looked elegant on others. Regards Lizzie.
                Lizzie sigpic

Comment

We use cookies to give you the
                best experience possible.

By continuing to use our website you
                agree to our cookie policy

Working...
                X