• Ahoy there! Why not join the UK’s largest cruising forum? The Cruise.co.uk forum is the perfect place to meet and interact with likeminded cruisers to have invaluable conversations. Whether you're a veteran cruiser or looking to set sail on the sea for the first time, everyone is welcome on our forum to participate in the hottest conversations in the cruising world. So, what are you waiting for? Join the forum today by clicking here to register!

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is it better to go over-dressed or under-dressed?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is it better to go over-dressed or under-dressed?

Your right in saying smart casual means different things to different people, I would not wear jeans anywhere for a night out, nice dress pants and an elegant top for me.
    But in answer to the question about under or over dressing, I would say both! if your under dressed or over dressed you would feel uncomfortable either way, If I am ever in that kind of sitiation where they dont even inform you what the dress code is, your always safe with your little black dress, elegant but chic.
    Lynn

Comment

Originally posted by Lynn, Newton le Willows View Post
      Your right in saying smart casual means different things to different people, I would not wear jeans anywhere for a night out, nice dress pants and an elegant top for me.
      But in answer to the question about under or over dressing, I would say both! if your under dressed or over dressed you would feel uncomfortable either way, If I am ever in that kind of sitiation where they dont even inform you what the dress code is, your always safe with your little black dress, elegant but chic.
      Lynn
      I agree. The lbd can take you many places. This do tonight is def. not an lbd occasion and my extremely expensive white jeans hit the mark totally.

Minefield.

Comment

Originally posted by Mrs M View Post
        I agree. The lbd can take you many places. This do tonight is def. not an lbd occasion and my extremely expensive white jeans hit the mark totally.

Minefield.
        Have a nice time Mrs M. I've just come back from leaving three lovely pairs of jeans that I bought in Barcelona in to be shortened a little. However, I was mortified as my twin sister tried them on in the fitting room for me and they were too big in the waist for her while yours truly had to squeeze into them...To answer your question, I've gone over-dressed before and felt a bit uncomfortable - now if in doubt I get into the ubiquitous black trousers and a smart top like you say. I was also in the travel agents today paying for my August cruise on Celebrity and the lady there said 'there was something about me today'. I had my long hair down, casually, instead of up for a change and they noticed the change so sometimes even hair up/down 'dos' can make the difference for the night out too and create a different look.
        Heather

Comment

Originally posted by Mrs M View Post

Minefield.
          I wear pants every single day so I enjoy wearing dresses because its a change for me.

Have a lovely evening and have a glass of champagne for me
          Lynn

Comment

Hi Mrs M. Go girl go! Have a great time and Cheers me dear
            wear the white jeans you will look fab as always, decision now made . MMx

Comment

Originally posted by MAGGIEMOU, CYPRUS View Post
              Hi Mrs M. Go girl go! Have a great time and Cheers me dear
              wear the white jeans you will look fab as always, decision now made . MMx
              Cheers MM, I'll let you know how it went...I'm not driving!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Heather, Holywood Co Down View Post
                Have a nice time Mrs M. I've just come back from leaving three lovely pairs of jeans that I bought in Barcelona in to be shortened a little. However, I was mortified as my twin sister tried them on in the fitting room for me and they were too big in the waist for her while yours truly had to squeeze into them...To answer your question, I've gone over-dressed before and felt a bit uncomfortable - now if in doubt I get into the ubiquitous black trousers and a smart top like you say. I was also in the travel agents today paying for my August cruise on Celebrity and the lady there said 'there was something about me today'. I had my long hair down, casually, instead of up for a change and they noticed the change so sometimes even hair up/down 'dos' can make the difference for the night out too and create a different look.
                Heather
                Absolutely. MM is the girl to answer this one but, I was always under the impression, the older one got, the less one wore one's hair down. Now I'm 'there', my hair stll looks great down and I rarely put it up. Probably because I don't do it very well and it looks as if I've just got up!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Lynn, Newton le Willows View Post
                  I wear pants every single day so I enjoy wearing dresses because its a change for me.

Have a lovely evening and have a glass of champagne for me
                  Lynn
                  Thank you. I was once asked if I actually had legs!!!

Comment

I hate it with a passion when it's not clear what you're meant to wear. A woman might get by in decent jeans and a smart top but should a man wear a suit, jacket , shirt/tie, casual shirt etc.
                    My friend has a good solution. When in doubt she wears a pair of black trousers and a slinky evening top. Then she wears a smart shirt on top and the top is like a camisole. If everyone is dressed up, she just removes the shirt.

Comment

Originally posted by hat776, malta View Post
                      I hate it with a passion when it's not clear what you're meant to wear. A woman might get by in decent jeans and a smart top but should a man wear a suit, jacket , shirt/tie, casual shirt etc.
                      My friend has a good solution. When in doubt she wears a pair of black trousers and a slinky evening top. Then she wears a smart shirt on top and the top is like a camisole. If everyone is dressed up, she just removes the shirt.
                      Chap...great shirt [open necked], super jacket...and stick a tie in his pocket. Then he can take the jacket off...or put the tie on.

Comment

Originally posted by Heather, Holywood Co Down View Post
                        Heather
                        Yes! hair can certainly change how you look and how you feel. Wearing your hair up can make a huge difference to your appearence. It can be elegant or elegant casual. If you put it up and leave it as an untidy up do it can look really good. Or a smart up dp can be very sophisticated.
                        I am dreading all the brides I have to do this year as I guess Kate Middleton will have a lot to answer for. All brides no matter how pretty they are or not will want her look.
                        The thing is it wont work for most people as they wont have her look, and if it is here in Cyprus they are gettng marreid then the weather is a problem. It is hot/ humid and can be very windy so KM hair would be gone in a jiffy. So updo's often work better for a bride. On cruises I can dress my hair myself and do a different hair do eveyday. It can change a plain outfit into a more formal look. There are tons of fancy hairslides, clips/pins and things that all help to get the look. I have a portfolio of hairstyles I have worn and aslo styles I dress on brides. If I knew how to uplaod them on here I would do so.
                        Wearing you hair down is easy but it has to be in great conditon and the colour has to be good along with the precision cut. Then a simple down style looks great come what may.
                        hairstyles 005.jpghairstyles 028.jpghairstyles 023.jpg Wow! managed it! these are some of my brides.
                        Last edited by MAGGIEMOU, CYPRUS; 11th May 2011, 05:46 PM.

Comment

hairstyles 021.jpg[ATTACH][ATTACH]hairstyles 028.jpg[/ATTACH][/ATTACH][ATTACH][ATTACH]hairstyles 044.jpg[/ATTACH][/ATTACH]More hair .
                          Attached Files

Comment

Oh how I dread going to a 'do' & being over or under dressed! Whilst it wouldn't ruin my evening I'd feel a tad uncomfortable Personally I'd rather be over dressed than under. I've also done as others have suggested.. 'bling' top beneath & voila! My passion is shoes so as long as I'm wearing fabby shoes/bag I feel good.

Tarkah

Comment

Originally posted by Tarkah, Scotland View Post
                              Oh how I dread going to a 'do' & being over or under dressed! Whilst it wouldn't ruin my evening I'd feel a tad uncomfortable Personally I'd rather be over dressed than under. I've also done as others have suggested.. 'bling' top beneath & voila! My passion is shoes so as long as I'm wearing fabby shoes/bag I feel good.

Tarkah
                              I am with you on that one. I love shoes as well.
                              Now I have got into the photo mode here are a couple of pairs of my cruise shoes and me with my fancy up do's on a cruises.
                              Attached Files

Comment

We use cookies to give you the
                              best experience possible.

By continuing to use our website you
                              agree to our cookie policy

Working...
                              X