• Ahoy there! Why not join the UK’s largest cruising forum? The Cruise.co.uk forum is the perfect place to meet and interact with likeminded cruisers to have invaluable conversations. Whether you're a veteran cruiser or looking to set sail on the sea for the first time, everyone is welcome on our forum to participate in the hottest conversations in the cruising world. So, what are you waiting for? Join the forum today by clicking here to register!

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Formal Wear

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Formal Wear

I have a question for the gentleman of this board (and the ladies with a OH) regarding formal wear. What do you actually wear on a Formal nights. The reason I ask is DH has his Dinner Suit (or Tux if you prefer) but on reading several posts on the subject it seems that men are opting for just dark suit with tie rather than bow tie.

Can you tell me which you prefer and frankly which one is less likely to make my DH look like a complete spanner!

Sorry to bring the board down to gutter level, but I personally fancy the pants off the old man in his Dinner Suit!! Oh he is 40 if that makes a difference (to wearing the suit, not me fancying him!!)

xx Christine

Originally posted by redwinegirl2, Lake District View Post
    I have a question for the gentleman of this board (and the ladies with a OH) regarding formal wear. What do you actually wear on a Formal nights. The reason I ask is DH has his Dinner Suit (or Tux if you prefer) but on reading several posts on the subject it seems that men are opting for just dark suit with tie rather than bow tie.

Can you tell me which you prefer and frankly which one is less likely to make my DH look like a complete spanner!

Sorry to bring the board down to gutter level, but I personally fancy the pants off the old man in his Dinner Suit!! Oh he is 40 if that makes a difference (to wearing the suit, not me fancying him!!)

xx Christine
    I have to say [she says VERY modestly] that I think we looked one of the best dressed couples last Feb. I don't do 'gowns' on holiday and super evening trouser suits 'suit' me more than a long floaty dress. My OH is used to formal dressing in his job and isn't too hot at the casual look but looks fab in a Dinner suit. I would say Holland America is a more traditional line and most passengers dress for dinner, the gentlemen half and half dinner suit/suit. I couldn't care less what OP wear, I looked good and the OH looked great. Suits me.

Comment

I only take a dinner suit (plus occasionally a spare white tux). I have not taken a 'normal' suit on a cruise for many a year. .....Wilba
      Wilba

Comment

Funny that at the moment it is us ladies answering this question and that is because even Quasimodo looks good in a DJ! I don't know what it is but my significant other somehow loses 2 stone and looks a bit like Daniel Craig (if I don't put on my glasses and squint a bit) the minute he puts on that dinner jacket and bow tie. As you say plenty of men just wear a suit but if you have got it flaunt it. There are fewer and fewer opportunities these days to dress up so I love formal nights were everyone looks so glamorous and suave, bet I'm not the only one!...Carol

Comment

One Guy Answering...

Originally posted by Guy, Ormskirk View Post
          Funny that at the moment it is us ladies answering this question and that is because even Quasimodo looks good in a DJ! I don't know what it is but my significant other somehow loses 2 stone and looks a bit like Daniel Craig (if I don't put on my glasses and squint a bit) the minute he puts on that dinner jacket and bow tie. As you say plenty of men just wear a suit but if you have got it flaunt it. There are fewer and fewer opportunities these days to dress up so I love formal nights were everyone looks so glamorous and suave, bet I'm not the only one!...Carol
          I think it's good to dress up once in a while (ie on formal nights) - I must send the OH to specsavers as she claims I'm pig ugly in any mode of dress:D

Comment

Sorry Wilba, know you are a guy not a gal must have been typing my reply as yours was added. CJC you need someone to appreciate you, I bet you look greatCarol

Comment

Originally posted by redwinegirl2, Lake District View Post

xx Christine

Comment

Phew!

Thank God I've (so far) cruised
                only on tacky,low-class lines like Carnival and Ocean Village
                where I can simply throw on a blazer and call it a day...a night!

Cruise Ships - Profile Ticker

Comment

Originally posted by Aplmac, Barbados View Post
                  And that's why we love you

Comment

Don't know which line your going with, but on the Ruby Princess last month, DH wore Dinner Suit for both formal evenings. (Yes even he looked like 007!) From what I remember majority, from 'tots to oldies', seemed to be in Dinner suit or dark suits (trad. dining room). There were a few who chose not to 'dress up' but no-one seems to mind. Let him wear WHATEVER YOU WANT!! LOL
                    Have a great cruise
                    Tarkah

Comment

Hi RWG2. There is only one way to dress for Formal nights, DJ or, for that special look, a white Tux. I know that the forum will descend on me for this but the icing on the cake is the black patent shoes and a cummerbund. I afford myself a wry smile when I see other chaps, dressed in nice outfits, but spoilt with their large bellies held up by a waist belt with an ornamental silver buckle. Why spoil the ship for a ha'p'orth of tar? Oh, coloured socks, other than black, a definite nono. All this brought to you today by 'Man at Gieves & Hawkes'. Last nights Chianti was superb:all gone.Have a nice day.

Comment

Redcoat Blazers

Originally posted by Aplmac, Barbados View Post

Not a red blazer I trust?

Comment

Originally posted by Solent Richard, Lee on the Solent View Post
                          Hi RWG2. There is only one way to dress for Formal nights, DJ or, for that special look, a white Tux. I know that the forum will descend on me for this but the icing on the cake is the black patent shoes and a cummerbund. I afford myself a wry smile when I see other chaps, dressed in nice outfits, but spoilt with their large bellies held up by a waist belt with an ornamental silver buckle. Why spoil the ship for a ha'p'orth of tar? Oh, coloured socks, other than black, a definite nono. All this brought to you today by 'Man at Gieves & Hawkes'. Last nights Chianti was superb:all gone.Have a nice day.
                          Now PLEASE don't take this the wrong way Richard, but I always associate c'bunds with chaps who are, shall we say, of a certain age and usually slightly corpulent. My OH is very lean and would look, in RWG2's own words, a right spanner in one. I agree shoes are very overlooked which is why my OH has dress shoes which are def. not patent. I would have thought no one needs advice on socks!

Comment

for the definitive guide on dinner suits etc try wwwdotblacktieguidedot com

where us blokes will discover that a red cummerbund is not a good idea unless you are a circus ringmaster!

Comment

Hi

It is upto the individual I always make the effort on formal nights with a dinner jacket, that is one of those things that make a cruise special and why I don't care for the informal cruises. Our last cruise on RCI from Miami was not the same on the formal nights because the US do not believe in dressing in anything else except shorts and XXXXL t-shirts even on formal nights. I don't think they got the cruise thing.

I have bought myself a lighweight suit as my old one was too heavy and took up most of the 23Kg allowence a thing to think of with DJ's

Comment

We use cookies to give you the
                              best experience possible.

By continuing to use our website you
                              agree to our cookie policy

Working...
                              X