• Ahoy there! Why not join the UK’s largest cruising forum? The Cruise.co.uk forum is the perfect place to meet and interact with likeminded cruisers to have invaluable conversations. Whether you're a veteran cruiser or looking to set sail on the sea for the first time, everyone is welcome on our forum to participate in the hottest conversations in the cruising world. So, what are you waiting for? Join the forum today by clicking here to register!

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Post Lockdown Dress

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Post Lockdown Dress

Lockdown is over. Hopefully.

I ordered a pair of shoes online and they came yesterday. Obviously, I tried them on to make sure they were OK and walked around in them, inside, for a bit.

Oh. My. Word. Heels!!!!!

I haven't worn anything higher than my trainers for over a year and I think I'm going to have to get in training so I don't wobble on my next cruise. LIITs are good enough a reason to wobble late at night, I don't need to factor in the added high heel problem.

I decided to try on some of my evening stuff. Fortunately, the weight gain must be in my fingers and toes as most still fit but lockdown has a lot to answer for, sartorially speaking. I am having to make myself dress 'normally' rather than sloppy sweater and leggings/sweats which have been my lockdown uniform.

Anyone else having to practice in their [high/ish] heels, male or female, no discrimination here!

Sadly I inherited my mother's bunions and I really struggle to find shoes I can walk comfortably in, without pain. As I walk just about everywhere, on ordinary days I'm forced wear the same brand and style of flat shoes.

I do like dressing up, however, and so I endure glamorous shoes with heels when I go on cruises. One of the pluses about cruising is that I don't need to hobble more than a short distance back to my cabin at the end of the evening - 'crippled', as my mother used to complain!

I put on weight during lockdown because I did a lot of baking (and subsequent 'testing' of the food). I've managed to lose it all again and I'm pleased my cruise clothes still fit and no longer feel tight.

Comment

I've never felt comfortable in high heels so have always had problems finding 'dressy' shoes that look OK in the evening when on a cruise.

Like you though Mrs M and most people since this pandemic began, I've had no reason to dress up. I've not tried on any evening clothes for months and won't do just yet until I have lost a few more pounds. I've been on a weight kick for a few weeks now and am getting to my goal, so should be in better shape for our first trip away at the end of June.
      Jill

Comment

At home never changed from before,
        Most of the going out even mini shops has been the same as before,

The cruise gear has sat there for 15 months
        Won't bother getting anything new till we hit the US.

A few bits might get promoted to going out in the UK.

Just under 105kg today, stuff will fit could do with dropping back under 100kg
        Might have to start walking to the pub again

Comment

Originally posted by sandraggg, Newcastle View Post
          Sadly I inherited my mother's bunions and I really struggle to find shoes I can walk comfortably in, without pain. As I walk just about everywhere, on ordinary days I'm forced wear the same brand and style of flat shoes.

I do like dressing up, however, and so I endure glamorous shoes with heels when I go on cruises. One of the pluses about cruising is that I don't need to hobble more than a short distance back to my cabin at the end of the evening - 'crippled', as my mother used to complain!

I put on weight during lockdown because I did a lot of baking (and subsequent 'testing' of the food). I've managed to lose it all again and I'm pleased my cruise clothes still fit and no longer feel tight.
          The beauty of wearing [highish] heels on a cruise is, one can take one's shoes off once reaching the accommodation decks or before if the wobble becomes a bit noticeable due to the shoes and not a LIIT effect.

Comment

Originally posted by Mrs M View Post

The beauty of wearing [highish] heels on a cruise is, one can take one's shoes off once reaching the accommodation decks or before if the wobble becomes a bit noticeable due to the shoes and not a LIIT effect.
            Yes, absolutely!

I also take the shoes off whenever I can hide my feet under a table (for example in the dining room), although I have been known then to kick them out of reach, forcing me into an undignified retrieval mission at the end of the meal. Not a good look on a formal night.

Comment

High heels are great for my wife's business, so get in to them ladies, and that helps us go on cruise holidays. She's a podiatrist.

Comment

Originally posted by BigMac, Glasgow View Post
                High heels are great for my wife's business, so get in to them ladies, and that helps us go on cruise holidays. She's a podiatrist.
                A return to occasional high heels for me won't need any podiatry, but I might require physio!

Comment

I have always worn high heels and can cope well with them. And considering many of them are pointed toe, I guess I am lucky not to have a hint of a bunion.

Comment

Originally posted by sandraggg, Newcastle View Post

My wife had her bunions done 10+ years ago and has never looked back. It was nowhere near as painful as many believe and she would heartily recommend it to all in need. It is the advancing years that stop her wearing the high heels of her younger days.

Bunions are frequently followed by hips, knees and then various internal surgeries. Sadly we are all going along the same path, it's just that some are further along it than others.

Comment

Originally posted by JohnR, Chippenham View Post
                      My wife had her bunions done 10+ years ago and has never looked back. It was nowhere near as painful as many believe and she would heartily recommend it to all in need. It is the advancing years that stop her wearing the high heels of her younger days.

Bunions are frequently followed by hips, knees and then various internal surgeries. Sadly we are all going along the same path, it's just that some are further along it than others.
                      I have always been a barefoot person wherever possible, hence I have rather 'nice' feet, that is if you ignore the broken toes!

Can't win can we.

Comment

Originally posted by JohnR, Chippenham View Post

I was feeling quite cheery up to the end of paragraph 1...

... then I read paragraph 2...

Comment

My wife is always ordering shoes on line she has boxes of them some she probably has never worn. But long gone are the days when she wore high heels, now her shoes cannot even have a hint of a heel. Last photo I have of my wife in high heels was on a cruise in 2009, a pair of pointed silver high heel shoes.

When I first met her in the early 1960’s at the age of 16, she was a member of the Lucy Clayton modelling school in London and was always in high heels (normally 4”), for work and pleasure.

Now days as well as the arthritis in her ankles and her flat feet, she puts her walking problems down to the mis use of wearing high heels when young. Very rarely you see young people wearing high heels these days.

I have a wardrobe of smart casual shirts, but cannot remember last time had the opportunity of wearing them, weight has never been a problem.

Delboy

Photo Albums

https://www.flickriver.com/photos/delboyalbums/sets/

or

https://www.flickr.com/photos/delboyalbums/albums

Comment

I ordered my-self some very pretty blingy sandals a couple of weeks ago, but they haven't even been out of the box yet, I need this rain to stop ...............................................Car ol

Comment

In an effort to compensate for OH’s excess of (bulky) shoes he needs for every cruise........I try to take as few and as lightweight as possible.

Hence my everyday Skechers slip ons that weigh a feather and two pairs of favourite evening shoes. Both low heeled in a soft suede with some embellishment on the tops, one black and one dark grey. They go with all my evening stuff which is mostly trousers and dressy tops and a couple of lightweight evening dresses by Roman Originals which I find are ideal for cruisewear.

I can’t see myself needing to shop for new things this year, the wardrobes are already over stuffed!

But then again............

Comment

We use cookies to give you the
                              best experience possible.

By continuing to use our website you
                              agree to our cookie policy

Working...
                              X