• Ahoy there! Why not join the UK’s largest cruising forum? The Cruise.co.uk forum is the perfect place to meet and interact with likeminded cruisers to have invaluable conversations. Whether you're a veteran cruiser or looking to set sail on the sea for the first time, everyone is welcome on our forum to participate in the hottest conversations in the cruising world. So, what are you waiting for? Join the forum today by clicking here to register!

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How do you define resort casual

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How do you define resort casual

Picking up on Wilba's point below

They're taking all the fun out of it. With tipping gradually becoming all inclusive, dress codes virtually none existent, smoking less and less noticeable on cruises, we will have very little to row about. ......Wilba

How do you define, Elegant Casual, Resort Casual, Smart Casual etc.

As a man, it would be

Closed toes shoes with socks, long trousers, collared shirt and possibly a linen jacket but no tie.

For Ladies, the choice is almost endless

John
    Last edited by Haworth, Wokingham; 23rd February 2019, 04:01 PM.

Collared shirt, polo is fine
    Tailored shorts in warm climates.
    Long trousers in cooler climates.
    Denim material is OK,
    Open shoes should be OK, no socks (OK for women, OK for men.)

​​​​​

Comment

Denims are never OK in the evening. Resort casual would possibly include tailored shorts for either gender, but elegant casual would not. Open neck shirts OK, but I prefer a shirt and tie. T-shirts not OK. I really don't understand the objection to making the effort to change for dinner.

Comment

Having cruised on a wide range of lines where the terminology has been Smart Casual, Elegant Casual, Country Club Casual, Resort Casual, etc. etc., there has always been an element of trackie bottoms, builder jeans, ripped jeans, cargo's, flip flops, jesus sandals and every other variant of the word Casual.

Has anyone ever seen a guy allowed into e restaurant in Versace Jeans and the next guy stopped at the door in builders jeans?

I know I haven't.............Wilba
        Wilba

Comment

My evening clothes would be anything that I don't wear on a day to day basis, but only if I'm going out. So mainly a dress and heels, and OH would wear a shirt and chino type trousers .................................Carol

Comment

Originally posted by Haworth, Wokingham View Post

As a man, it would be

Closed toes shoes with socks, long trousers, collared shirt and possibly a linen jacket but no tie

John
            I'm with you there John.

Anything less I would put in the scruffbag category..............Wilba.
            Wilba

Comment

I wonder if the time is coming for me to return to Butlins or even p&O. I don't own a suit but I wouldn't dream of sitting down to an evening meal, be it tea, dinner or supper without a jacket, shirt, tie and smart trousers. I even keep my shoes polished. I believe that denim is something that tradesmen wear when doing their jobs. I don't do denim. Am I now barred?

Comment

Resort casual on a ship puts me in mind of the American designers, I.e. Ralph Lauren, but resort casual in some hotels , doesn’t!

The term can be interpreted in quite a few ways, from downright scruffy, to Calvin Klein etc.

Comment

The dress code to us is either formal or not. If it's not formal then OH will always wear smart trousers and shirt, which no doubt would be perfectly acceptable for any 'casual' code'. My chosen attire for dinner would pass muster with any casual code too. I tend to dress for dinner whatever the code.
                  Jill

Comment

I, too, dress up regardless of how 'casual' the code states. I hate to see people in denim jeans who think they are 'dressed' just because they are clean. The current trend of 'ripped knees' and other parts is ridiculous and the most awful trend I have seen, even worse than girls who clamp the ends of their sleeves in their fists or wear the sleeves too long so it covers their hands. Yuk! I know it is easier for a woman to have a choice in casual and smart casual or evening chic, but there is no excuse for wearing a muscle shirt and pork pie hat as our male table companion did on a Celebrity formal night!

Comment

Originally posted by Haworth, Wokingham View Post
                      Picking up on Wilba's point below

They're taking all the fun out of it. With tipping gradually becoming all inclusive, dress codes virtually none existent, smoking less and less noticeable on cruises, we will have very little to row about. ......Wilba

As a man, it would be

Closed toes shoes with socks, long trousers, collared shirt and possibly a linen jacket but no tie.

For Ladies, the choice is almost endless

John
                      Sounds about right to me.

Comment

For me it means dressy top and trousers or cropped trousers and sandals, for hubby dress trousers and either polo shirt or short sleeved shirt.. hubby never wears jeans on land or at sea.
                        don't want to work, just want to cruise.

Comment

So many codes, poolside, casual, Resort Casual,elegantly casual, smart attire...mind bogglingly a pain and really [apart from inappropriate wear such as swim wear inside etc], fodder for the Dress Code Police .

It all depends upon where you are and how the codes are interpreted [if they're mentioned] in the cruise line blurb.

Resort Casual is up from pool wear and casual, but bearing in mind, Resort Casual aboard a ship for me is [mostly] daytime wear, as far as chaps' [small c.not a capital for R.L.] wear is concerned as long as the clothes [age and size appropriate!!] compliment the shoes, loafers and particularly boats e.g. Sperrys, can be, and often are worn without socks. Polo or casual s/ls collared shirt, with or without light jackets, chinos and shorts [daytime, Bermuda length, not short shorts]. Jeans can be worn during the day too but torn and distressed are too casual to be termed resort casual.

Edit
                          In other words, clothes which would be worn in the evening for dinner in an upmarket US resort hotel where jacket and tie aren't required attire is a good guide.
                          Last edited by Mrs M; 24th February 2019, 08:51 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by cruiser, Larne View Post
                            I, too, dress up regardless of how 'casual' the code states. I hate to see people in denim jeans who think they are 'dressed' just because they are clean. The current trend of 'ripped knees' and other parts is ridiculous and the most awful trend I have seen, even worse than girls who clamp the ends of their sleeves in their fists or wear the sleeves too long so it covers their hands. Yuk! I know it is easier for a woman to have a choice in casual and smart casual or evening chic, but there is no excuse for wearing a muscle shirt and pork pie hat as our male table companion did on a Celebrity formal night!
                            My sons (mid forties) and their friends regard jeans as appropriate wear for smart restaurants. They choose dark colours, well fitting, no teenage style rips, and wear them with a dress shirt and jacket. decent shoes and socks. While I could not imagine my husband wearing that style, they look perfectly well dressed and fit in with most of their age group. Daughters in law often wear jeans as well, in their case with a smart top and high heels. I often wear jeans in the daytime, but couldn't imagine laying out the money for designer jeans for evening wear, although I have been known to wear black jeans to eat out occasionally.
                            I personally don't like the overlong sleeve fashion, but I remember how my parents objected to me wearing mini skirts or hot pants and realize that fashions change and youngsters want to be on trend.

Comment

Many confuse jeans, denim and blue indigo die to mean the same product.
                              Jeans come in multiple materials and colors.
                              Denim fabric is used to make multiple product.
                              Indigo dies are use on multiple products and fabrics.

Comment

We use cookies to give you the
                              best experience possible.

By continuing to use our website you
                              agree to our cookie policy

Working...
                              X