• Ahoy there! Why not join the UK’s largest cruising forum? The Cruise.co.uk forum is the perfect place to meet and interact with likeminded cruisers to have invaluable conversations. Whether you're a veteran cruiser or looking to set sail on the sea for the first time, everyone is welcome on our forum to participate in the hottest conversations in the cruising world. So, what are you waiting for? Join the forum today by clicking here to register!

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The latest fad, apparently

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The latest fad, apparently

It was reported on BBC TV today, so it must be true, that many people are buying new clothes to take on holiday and then leaving then behind when they are due to come home.

I am assuming that these people are mainly “resort” holiday-makers but I ask; does anyone know whether it also applies to the cruising fraternity?

Apparently some clothes are now so cheap that we have further developed the “throw away” society.

It certainly does not apply to me as Ida is always saying, “You’re not wearing that old thing again, are you?” So I ask; is this something you are aware of or is it just the latest news item that will be gone before it’s really had an effect? …..Neil

Originally posted by Neil Down, Southampton View Post
    It was reported on BBC TV today, so it must be true, that many people are buying new clothes to take on holiday and then leaving then behind when they are due to come home.

I am assuming that these people are mainly “resort” holiday-makers but I ask; does anyone know whether it also applies to the cruising fraternity?

Apparently some clothes are now so cheap that we have further developed the “throw away” society.

It certainly does not apply to me as Ida is always saying, “You’re not wearing that old thing again, are you?” So I ask; is this something you are aware of or is it just the latest news item that will be gone before it’s really had an effect? …..Neil
    Old story Neil. I know people who did that on 1975!

Annie

Comment

Friends of ours who travel to Cuba on holiday do leave some clothes behind, but not necessarily brand new ones. They also leave their toiletries behind as the Cuban people can’t get nice stuff or things like deodorants etc. I remember reading online about a woman who was stopped and searched in a Muslim country for having tampons in her pocket. The woman security guard couldn’t believe that western women didn’t need anyone’s permission to use such things. Said author now makes sure she has some of them in her pocket whenever she travels to those countries to be able to give them to women who snap them up.

Take care, Helen

Comment

I took my wife to a Retail Park last week and as per usual I wandered off on my own for an hour.

Went into a Primark.

T Shirts, any colour you like reduced from £2 to £1.80

Shorts £5

Is it any wonder folks dump their dirty washing abroad? It'd hardly worth the expense of electricity, soap powder and wear and tear on the washing machine.

Certainly if you end up buying stuff whilst on holiday, it's not worth the excess baggage risk to bring them home.............Wilba
        Wilba

Comment

I have an elderly American friend who is tiny of stature and can wear girls' knickers. She buys the cheapest she can find in Walmart for cruising and discards them after use. I have left a pair of shoes that I decided were past their best, but never clothes.

Comment

Originally posted by Mason, Altrincham View Post
            Friends of ours who travel to Cuba on holiday do leave some clothes behind, but not necessarily brand new ones. They also leave their toiletries behind as the Cuban people can’t get nice stuff or things like deodorants etc. I remember reading online about a woman who was stopped and searched in a Muslim country for having tampons in her pocket. The woman security guard couldn’t believe that western women didn’t need anyone’s permission to use such things. Said author now makes sure she has some of them in her pocket whenever she travels to those countries to be able to give them to women who snap them up.

Take care, Helen
            Re Cuba, that is what holidaymakers did in the '70s if they visited countries behind the iron curtain.

As I said nothing new.

Annie

Comment

When we used to go to the Gambia many moons ago we always left clothes and shoes and pens, they were snapped up very quickly. Then when we started cruising EVERYTHING came back.....worn or not... ready to go again. After all you never know if you might, just might wear it one day. Carol xxx
              sigpic*Carol M*

Comment

You can get Hanes, Fruit of the loom,... T-shirts and undies for less than a $1 in the US and under £1 in the UK

Cheaper than the laundry for long trips.

Also cheaper than stuff sold as disposable.

Comment

I have left older/past their best clothes and toiletries behind on numerous occasions. I like to buy new things for home and take the older stuff.

Comment

We used to take M&S knickers out to Bulgaria in the early 80,s to leave for the maids. They were over the moon with them, I suppose all sorts of stuff is available now.

I knew an old work mate of mine used to take a suitcase full of jeans and sell them, Made a pretty penny also. Jan.

Comment

Originally posted by jan lowden, sunderland (2) View Post
                      We used to take M&S knickers out to Bulgaria in the early 80,s to leave for the maids. They were over the moon with them, I suppose all sorts of stuff is available now.

I knew an old work mate of mine used to take a suitcase full of jeans and sell them, Made a pretty penny also. Jan.
                      I well remember goes to the USSR back in the early 70's and they were begging us to buy our Levi and Wrangler Jeans for £30 a pair.

If I remember correctly they cost us £5 or £6 in those days.

The ladies were hassled to empty their handbags of cosmetics, used or otherwise, lipsticks in particular were a best seller..............Wilba
                      Wilba

Comment

Originally posted by annie, Glasgow View Post

Re Cuba, that is what holidaymakers did in the '70s if they visited countries behind the iron curtain.

As I said nothing new.

Annie
                        It might not be new to you Annie but it is to me.
                        Jill

Comment

Originally posted by Wilba View Post

I well remember goes to the USSR back in the early 70's and they were begging us to buy our Levi and Wrangler Jeans for £30 a pair.

If I remember correctly they cost us £5 or £6 in those days.

The ladies were hassled to empty their handbags of cosmetics, used or otherwise, lipsticks in particular were a best seller..............Wilba
                          So true Wilba.

I have an Aunt who regularly holidayed in Iron Curtain countries in the '70s and '80s financed by selling suitcase of clothes.

Annie

Comment

OMG You are a mercenary lot aren't you, well some of you anyway. .....Neil

Comment

I've heard of people going to Spain etc. saying it is cheaper to but T-shirts and shorts out there and leave them behind, rather than pay the low-cost airlines hold-baggage fees.
                              See my cruise blog: HERE

Comment

We use cookies to give you the
                              best experience possible.

By continuing to use our website you
                              agree to our cookie policy

Working...
                              X