• Ahoy there! Why not join the UK’s largest cruising forum? The Cruise.co.uk forum is the perfect place to meet and interact with likeminded cruisers to have invaluable conversations. Whether you're a veteran cruiser or looking to set sail on the sea for the first time, everyone is welcome on our forum to participate in the hottest conversations in the cruising world. So, what are you waiting for? Join the forum today by clicking here to register!

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Now these are big waves

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Now these are big waves

this happened many years ago on the North Atlantic on the MV Michel Angelo,

Crikey,that was some wave,pleased i was,ent in that cabin when it hit! Jan.

Comment

Last edited by jimtheoldsalt, felixstowe; 24th February 2014, 10:12 AM.

Comment

Comment

I recall the QE2 once suffered a big dent below her bridge.

However her hull was made of steel and her superstructure made of alluminium.
          See my cruise blog: HERE

Comment

Just checked the records,her top speed on trials was 31.7knots,when she hit the wave in mid Atlantic 2passengers were swept overboard,one crew member died and over 50 people were injured.The fwd.end of the bridge/accommodation was aluminium but was later changed to steel as was that on her sister ship.She was built the same year as the Marco Polo,Jim

Comment

Jim did you watch the TV programme I posted the other day here http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YEHKZfAMyow ?? It seems such waves are not so rare as we think.

Comment

Originally posted by trevor432990, East Sussex View Post
                Jim did you watch the TV programme I posted the other day here http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YEHKZfAMyow ?? It seems such waves are not so rare as we think.
                Not been doing too much watching since looking after Joan ,but have made a note of the website and will look it up,Jim

Comment

Jim, do cruise ships still place cabins right at the front like that these days? I'm thinking of NCL/Louis Majesty, where the damage was on deck 5 forward, although that was a lounge bar. NCL used to shut it in rough seas, but Louis didn't do that, with loss of life. I just wondered with cabins being low and at the front.
                  Jo.

Comment

Originally posted by Jocap, Cumbria View Post
                    Jim, do cruise ships still place cabins right at the front like that these days? I'm thinking of NCL/Louis Majesty, where the damage was on deck 5 forward, although that was a lounge bar. NCL used to shut it in rough seas, but Louis didn't do that, with loss of life. I just wondered with cabins being low and at the front.
                    Yes,I am sure that the Arcadia had cabins up front on D deck,cos they woke everyone up one night when they were going to do a medical,we were 2cabins from the front and we were asked to move,Jim

Comment

We use cookies to give you the
                    best experience possible.

By continuing to use our website you
                    agree to our cookie policy

Working...
                    X