• Ahoy there! Why not join the UK’s largest cruising forum? The Cruise.co.uk forum is the perfect place to meet and interact with likeminded cruisers to have invaluable conversations. Whether you're a veteran cruiser or looking to set sail on the sea for the first time, everyone is welcome on our forum to participate in the hottest conversations in the cruising world. So, what are you waiting for? Join the forum today by clicking here to register!

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Vaping is backed in a Review by Public Health.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Neil Down, Southampton
    started a topic Vaping is backed in a Review by Public Health.

Vaping is backed in a Review by Public Health.

Look how far we have come in the last 9 or so years when we started our protestations against smokers and smoking.

I am changing the start of this thread because I inadvertently put in an incorrect link. The link below is one of the main links from which the BBC took it programmed remarks.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episod...ttes-committee

Basically it deals with the results of several years of study in the use of vaporising, that is the use of E Cigarettes, and the positve things which have come from these studies as against the minimal amount of negatives that were found. ..

Once more my apologies but it is a subject which is well worth airing as it would appear that much of the bad news about vaping was influenced by reports from the Tobacco Industry. .....Neil
    Last edited by Neil Down, Southampton; 6th February 2018, 07:52 PM.

• cornish girl, falmouth
    replied
    Originally posted by jan lowden, sunderland (2) View Post
    Same here Stewart, 60 a day from 16 until 1991, Not 1 ciggie since. Cold turkey, Yes it was hard with the normal pressures of work, Nursing my FIL with brain cancer and bringing up a family, But if you want to do it you can. I always said no one loved a smoke more than me, But purely for health reasons I did it. Jan.
    Same here smoked for years from aged 15, it was hard finding something to do with your hands , I used to go upstairs and play on my sons game player took my mind of off smoking never looked back took some will power I can tell you but what a relief not to dependent on those killers.

I also agree that the NHS has lot more to contend with than issuing Vaping products free on prescription if you can afford the price of a packet of fags these days pay for your own vapers to most young people it is a vanity product and probably encourages them to try cigarettes.CG

Leave a comment:

• Taffy, Wales
    replied
    Looks like Vaping is not that good for you.
    Vaping makes users more likely to catch pneumonia | Daily Mail Online

Taffy

Leave a comment:

• Taffy, Wales
    replied
    Originally posted by PeterM, Southwell View Post
    I stopped 18 months ago using nicotine spray. I still crave a smoke every day, and love the smell of cigarette smoke. Knowing that it would kill me made no difference. Smoking killed my dad. I could start again at any time.
    Hi Peter.
    The craving will get less over time it took about 3 years for my craving to stop being a daily event,I cannot stand the smell of smoke now.Hang on it will get better...Taffy

Leave a comment:

• Old Sea Dog, Stockport
    replied
    I worked in Paris for a short while back in the 1960's. In those days the French government banned the import of all foreign cigarettes. The British and American brands were produced in France under licence and tasted foul, so I started smoking Gauloises and Gitanes. When I returned to the UK I found the only cigarette that could compare with them was Capstan full strength. After a few weeks I developed a persistent cough so I went to our family doctor who referred me for an X-ray. I went to our local hospital, had the X-ray and then waited for the result (expecting them to give me the OK so I could go home). After about half an hour the radiologist approached me and said that there was a 'shadow' on one of my lungs and wanted me to have another X-ray. My heart sank. After the second X-ray the doctor asked me if I smoked and what brands I smoked? I told him and to my relief he said that the first X-ray turned out to be a faulty fogged film and was not a shadow after all, but they took the second one just to confirm everything was OK. He advised me to give up smoking but if I couldn't then switch to a milder brand with filter tips. I took his advice and switched to B&H but gave up my 20 a day habit completely in 1970 by going 'cold turkey'.

If you are serious and want to 'kick the habit' there are no half measures. I found it was an all or nothing choice. You make your decision and stick to it. It's not easy as I can testify. I was like a bear with a sore head for 3 months (short tempered, difficult to live and work with and put weight on). But after 3 months I realised I'd beaten the habit and the craving had disappeared. My weight returned back to normal and my mood became much more relaxed. I could even chase and catch the bus without gasping for breath afterwards.

Cheers OSD

Leave a comment:

• George, Gateshead (3)
    replied
    Originally posted by BinleyBilly, Binley, Coventry View Post
    After several false starts I stopped smoking more than 30 years ago, having smoked 60 Kensitas a day - those were real fags! I still have the half full packet that I carried round in my pocket for more than a year, telling myself that I just wasn't smoking at that particular moment rather than trying to convince myself that I'd actually given up. Now, like many ex smokers, I'm very anti smoking.
    Kensitas ? No a real fag was capstan full strength no tips on them 100% nicotine inhaled

Leave a comment:

• annie, Glasgow
    replied
    Originally posted by BinleyBilly, Binley, Coventry View Post
    After several false starts I stopped smoking more than 30 years ago, having smoked 60 Kensitas a day - those were real fags! I still have the half full packet that I carried round in my pocket for more than a year, telling myself that I just wasn't smoking at that particular moment rather than trying to convince myself that I'd actually given up. Now, like many ex smokers, I'm very anti smoking.
    At least you acknowledge the difficulties.

Nothng like a converted non-smoker

Whatever it takes. If everyone did stop smoking, how much would the rate of income tax have to increase? Time for punitive sugar taxes though.

Annie

Leave a comment:

• BinleyBilly, Binley, Coventry
    replied

Leave a comment:

• Neil Down, Southampton
    replied
    Originally posted by dst87, Falkirk View Post
    It's fairly obvious from anecdotes that some people have managed to kick the habit using eCigs, while others have just continued vaping instead of eCigs... but what's the harm?

It seems like vaping is probably less harmful to the user than tobacco, but even if it's just as harmful surely everyone can agree that's it's much more pleasant to encounter someone puffing on an eCig than on a cigarette? Anecdotally, I think the number of times I walk through a cloud of smoke when walking in the city has reduced in recent years. It makes my experience much more pleasant!

People will do what they want to do. The important thing is for these liquids to be regulated so that people at least know that they're getting what they think they're buying. Clearly the government are doing a lot of work to examine this (and, undoubtedly, the effectiveness of eCigs as an aid to quit smoking) so I'm inclined to believe those studies more than anecdotes.
    The latest figures seem to indicate that vaping is 95% less harmful than cigarette smoke. Now that has to be a winner even if the user carries on with vapes.

Originally posted by PeterM, Southwell View Post
    I stopped 18 months ago using nicotine spray. I still crave a smoke every day, and love the smell of cigarette smoke. Knowing that it would kill me made no difference. Smoking killed my dad. I could start again at any time.
    Give it time, Peter and you will suddenly find yourself saying after walking though a smokey area..."Ugh! How can people really enjoy that." As I say give it time..... .....Neil

Leave a comment:

• PeterM, Southwell
    replied

Leave a comment:

• Wilba
    replied
    Originally posted by jc, liverpool View Post
    Hi Wilba.
    Of course its easy......i did it hundreds of times.
    JC
    You're right JC,

Easy was not the best choice of word, although I was referring to the decision making more so than the physical act of reaching for the ciggie..........Wilba

Leave a comment:

• jc, liverpool
    replied
    Hi Wilba.
    Of course its easy......i did it hundreds of times.
    JC

Leave a comment:

• Babs , Hodd.
    replied
    Originally posted by Wilba View Post
    Sorry Duncan but as an ex 20 a day smoker for 40 years whom after 30 years went onto cigars as I couldn't get enough 'pull' from a little cigarette, I totally agree with Stewart.

Once you convince your brain that smoking will almost certainly kill you, and firmly believe it, the rest is easy.

TBH I have no time for these dummy suckers, weak, weak weak...........Wilba
    Agree that believing smoking will kill you is the main and strongest motivation to quit but disagree that it is easy. As someone else pointed out the habits that accompany smoking take a very long time to go away. I used to reach for my pack of cigarettes almost 3 months after I stopped.

Leave a comment:

• dst87, Falkirk
    replied
    It's fairly obvious from anecdotes that some people have managed to kick the habit using eCigs, while others have just continued vaping instead of eCigs... but what's the harm?

It seems like vaping is probably less harmful to the user than tobacco, but even if it's just as harmful surely everyone can agree that's it's much more pleasant to encounter someone puffing on an eCig than on a cigarette? Anecdotally, I think the number of times I walk through a cloud of smoke when walking in the city has reduced in recent years. It makes my experience much more pleasant!

People will do what they want to do. The important thing is for these liquids to be regulated so that people at least know that they're getting what they think they're buying. Clearly the government are doing a lot of work to examine this (and, undoubtedly, the effectiveness of eCigs as an aid to quit smoking) so I'm inclined to believe those studies more than anecdotes.

Leave a comment:

• redbonnet, Merseyside
    replied
    Originally posted by Wilba View Post
    Being a cynic I just don't believe vaping is the aid to give up smoking that it's made out to be. My belief is that people are using vaping as a substitute, alternative to smoking, and little else.

Projections forecast that the vaping industry will exceed the tobacco industry in a few years time.

If vaping is so successful in eliminating the need to use either, surely the vaping industry should be in decline as more and more people are weaned off both habits.

When we see statistics along the lines of 80-90% of folk give up the need to vape within a few months of giving up tobacco, then I will start to believe the so called merits of vaping.

Until then I remain a sceptic who believes the vapers are just kidding themselves.............Wilba
    I have to agree with this. I was in a local restaurant recently when a lady asked if she could vape. She was told as long as nobody objected. The restaurant wasn’t full and although myself and my friend were not happy we said nothing. However throughout the course of the evening she went outside for a ‘proper’ smoke. I live close to 2 secondary schools, and the number of youngsters I see vaping as they go past has increased alarmingly!
    I grew up in a household of smokers, father, stepmother, step grandfather and I hated it. I vowed that I would never let myself or my home smell like that.

Leave a comment:

We use cookies to give you the
best experience possible.

By continuing to use our website you
agree to our cookie policy

Working...
X