• Ahoy there! Why not join the UK’s largest cruising forum? The Cruise.co.uk forum is the perfect place to meet and interact with likeminded cruisers to have invaluable conversations. Whether you're a veteran cruiser or looking to set sail on the sea for the first time, everyone is welcome on our forum to participate in the hottest conversations in the cruising world. So, what are you waiting for? Join the forum today by clicking here to register!

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Vaping is backed in a Review by Public Health.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by dst87, Falkirk View Post
    It's fairly obvious from anecdotes that some people have managed to kick the habit using eCigs, while others have just continued vaping instead of eCigs... but what's the harm?

It seems like vaping is probably less harmful to the user than tobacco, but even if it's just as harmful surely everyone can agree that's it's much more pleasant to encounter someone puffing on an eCig than on a cigarette? Anecdotally, I think the number of times I walk through a cloud of smoke when walking in the city has reduced in recent years. It makes my experience much more pleasant!

People will do what they want to do. The important thing is for these liquids to be regulated so that people at least know that they're getting what they think they're buying. Clearly the government are doing a lot of work to examine this (and, undoubtedly, the effectiveness of eCigs as an aid to quit smoking) so I'm inclined to believe those studies more than anecdotes.
    The latest figures seem to indicate that vaping is 95% less harmful than cigarette smoke. Now that has to be a winner even if the user carries on with vapes.

Originally posted by PeterM, Southwell View Post
    I stopped 18 months ago using nicotine spray. I still crave a smoke every day, and love the smell of cigarette smoke. Knowing that it would kill me made no difference. Smoking killed my dad. I could start again at any time.
    Give it time, Peter and you will suddenly find yourself saying after walking though a smokey area..."Ugh! How can people really enjoy that." As I say give it time..... .....Neil

Comment

After several false starts I stopped smoking more than 30 years ago, having smoked 60 Kensitas a day - those were real fags! I still have the half full packet that I carried round in my pocket for more than a year, telling myself that I just wasn't smoking at that particular moment rather than trying to convince myself that I'd actually given up. Now, like many ex smokers, I'm very anti smoking.

Comment

Originally posted by BinleyBilly, Binley, Coventry View Post
        After several false starts I stopped smoking more than 30 years ago, having smoked 60 Kensitas a day - those were real fags! I still have the half full packet that I carried round in my pocket for more than a year, telling myself that I just wasn't smoking at that particular moment rather than trying to convince myself that I'd actually given up. Now, like many ex smokers, I'm very anti smoking.
        At least you acknowledge the difficulties.

Nothng like a converted non-smoker

Whatever it takes. If everyone did stop smoking, how much would the rate of income tax have to increase? Time for punitive sugar taxes though.

Annie

Comment

Originally posted by BinleyBilly, Binley, Coventry View Post
          Kensitas ? No a real fag was capstan full strength no tips on them 100% nicotine inhaled

Comment

I worked in Paris for a short while back in the 1960's. In those days the French government banned the import of all foreign cigarettes. The British and American brands were produced in France under licence and tasted foul, so I started smoking Gauloises and Gitanes. When I returned to the UK I found the only cigarette that could compare with them was Capstan full strength. After a few weeks I developed a persistent cough so I went to our family doctor who referred me for an X-ray. I went to our local hospital, had the X-ray and then waited for the result (expecting them to give me the OK so I could go home). After about half an hour the radiologist approached me and said that there was a 'shadow' on one of my lungs and wanted me to have another X-ray. My heart sank. After the second X-ray the doctor asked me if I smoked and what brands I smoked? I told him and to my relief he said that the first X-ray turned out to be a faulty fogged film and was not a shadow after all, but they took the second one just to confirm everything was OK. He advised me to give up smoking but if I couldn't then switch to a milder brand with filter tips. I took his advice and switched to B&H but gave up my 20 a day habit completely in 1970 by going 'cold turkey'.

If you are serious and want to 'kick the habit' there are no half measures. I found it was an all or nothing choice. You make your decision and stick to it. It's not easy as I can testify. I was like a bear with a sore head for 3 months (short tempered, difficult to live and work with and put weight on). But after 3 months I realised I'd beaten the habit and the craving had disappeared. My weight returned back to normal and my mood became much more relaxed. I could even chase and catch the bus without gasping for breath afterwards.

Cheers OSD
            Our cruising days are over now.................

Comment

Originally posted by PeterM, Southwell View Post
              I stopped 18 months ago using nicotine spray. I still crave a smoke every day, and love the smell of cigarette smoke. Knowing that it would kill me made no difference. Smoking killed my dad. I could start again at any time.
              Hi Peter.
              The craving will get less over time it took about 3 years for my craving to stop being a daily event,I cannot stand the smell of smoke now.Hang on it will get better...Taffy
              ​Taffy

Comment

Looks like Vaping is not that good for you.
                Vaping makes users more likely to catch pneumonia | Daily Mail Online

Taffy
                ​Taffy

Comment

Originally posted by jan lowden, sunderland (2) View Post
                  Same here Stewart, 60 a day from 16 until 1991, Not 1 ciggie since. Cold turkey, Yes it was hard with the normal pressures of work, Nursing my FIL with brain cancer and bringing up a family, But if you want to do it you can. I always said no one loved a smoke more than me, But purely for health reasons I did it. Jan.
                  Same here smoked for years from aged 15, it was hard finding something to do with your hands , I used to go upstairs and play on my sons game player took my mind of off smoking never looked back took some will power I can tell you but what a relief not to dependent on those killers.

I also agree that the NHS has lot more to contend with than issuing Vaping products free on prescription if you can afford the price of a packet of fags these days pay for your own vapers to most young people it is a vanity product and probably encourages them to try cigarettes.CG
                  sigpic

Comment

We use cookies to give you the
                  best experience possible.

By continuing to use our website you
                  agree to our cookie policy

Working...
                  X