• Ahoy there! Why not join the UK’s largest cruising forum? The Cruise.co.uk forum is the perfect place to meet and interact with likeminded cruisers to have invaluable conversations. Whether you're a veteran cruiser or looking to set sail on the sea for the first time, everyone is welcome on our forum to participate in the hottest conversations in the cruising world. So, what are you waiting for? Join the forum today by clicking here to register!

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Vaping is backed in a Review by Public Health.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Mrs M View Post
    Thank you.
    Neil did post an incorrect link.

It has been pointed out [by a Professor at the London School of Tropical Medicine] that a study published in the US is ''more cautious'' of these devices. As different studies and experts have such varying thoughts, it's difficult to see the smoke from the fire! Our country seems to be ahead of others when welcoming them and is that good practice, or not?

Most people seem to agree though, more research is needed.

Well done the cold turkeys. Seems the safest method.
    I apologise I did post an incorrect link There are several links from which the BBC articles were taken but basically I believe that the majority of the material comes from

https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episod...ttes-committee

and I think if you use this link and listen to these experts you will see that the NEWS IS STILL GOOD

Again I apologise for an incorrect link and that you for that notification.....Neil

Comment

Originally posted by Neil Down, Southampton View Post
      I apologise I did post an incorrect link There are several links from which the BBC articles were taken but basically I believe that the majority of the material comes from

https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episod...ttes-committee

and I think if you use this link and listen to these experts you will see that the NEWS IS STILL GOOD

Again I apologise for an incorrect link and that you for that notification.....Neil
      Addendum:-

I have now edited the initial post I made so that the link(s) are now more obvious and correct to the best of my knowledge. ....Neil

Comment

IMO I think it’s too early to know if e-cigarettes are harmful or not.

Yes there’s been studies but they cannot predict the long term effects as it’s too early.
        don't want to work, just want to cruise.

Comment

Originally posted by PeterM, Southwell View Post
          Nicotine is more addictive than heroin, apparently.
          Yes, and apparently nicotine creates dependency quicker than heroin to.
          See my cruise blog: HERE

Comment

Originally posted by andyn, kensworth View Post
            Whether you just quit with willpower, chew gum, patches or vape. It has got to be better than smoking and rather than calling them weak dummy suckers, or whatever, we would be better off supporting them, in whatever way they see fit to give up, as long as it works for them.
            Precisely.

Even the punitive lifestyle tax system that Australia imposes on cigarettes does not deter smokers. Whatever works.

Annie

Comment

Originally posted by dst87, Falkirk View Post
              I’m surprised at the lack of empathy shown to those who find it difficult to give up smoking. If it was easy, far fewer people would smoke!

Willpower is fine, but people have many different pressures in their lives including work and family. I’m sure many people would be able to ‘just quit’ if all other pressures were taken away but that’s fairly unrealistic. Of course people can quit successfully cold turkey - great for them - but that’s far from the common experience.

If people can quit using eCigs then I think they’re great to have in the toolbox. I think most people would rather be around someone vaping than smoking.
              Hi Duncan.

I agree with those who say it is will power that makes you give up smoking, But I know two people who used vaping to give it up, they both claimed it helped them.
              I was a 40/50 a day smoker, and tried for years to cut down and give up,I tried Acupuncture which does help, but at the end of the day you have to want to quite,I gave my last few cigs away and went and bought a new car with the money I was spending,It was not easy and took about 2 years for the urge to go away,I struggled to hold a conversation for the first few weeks, but found that Snuff helped(Until your nose bleeds) then just siping cold orange juice help divert the craving,Clear since 1986 but know that one drag will have me back smoking.
              If Vaping helps people give up good luck to them....Taffy
              ​Taffy

Comment

Being a cynic I just don't believe vaping is the aid to give up smoking that it's made out to be. My belief is that people are using vaping as a substitute, alternative to smoking, and little else.

Projections forecast that the vaping industry will exceed the tobacco industry in a few years time.

If vaping is so successful in eliminating the need to use either, surely the vaping industry should be in decline as more and more people are weaned off both habits.

When we see statistics along the lines of 80-90% of folk give up the need to vape within a few months of giving up tobacco, then I will start to believe the so called merits of vaping.

Until then I remain a sceptic who believes the vapers are just kidding themselves.............Wilba
                Wilba

Comment

Wilba, you're absolutely correct.

I know several people who changed from smoking to vaping nearly 5 years ago and still show no signs of giving up.

Ingesting anything into your lungs just cannot be good for you and as has been pointed out previously, musch of the industry is totally unregulated, so who knows what they are sucking in.

Stewart

Comment

Originally posted by BigMac, Glasgow View Post

I know

Ingesting anything into your lungs just cannot be good for you .......

Stewart
                    Agreed.

Time to restrict the number of cars/vehicles on the road??

Annie

Comment

Originally posted by Wilba View Post
                      Being a cynic I just don't believe vaping is the aid to give up smoking that it's made out to be. My belief is that people are using vaping as a substitute, alternative to smoking, and little else.

Projections forecast that the vaping industry will exceed the tobacco industry in a few years time.

If vaping is so successful in eliminating the need to use either, surely the vaping industry should be in decline as more and more people are weaned off both habits.

When we see statistics along the lines of 80-90% of folk give up the need to vape within a few months of giving up tobacco, then I will start to believe the so called merits of vaping.

Until then I remain a sceptic who believes the vapers are just kidding themselves.............Wilba
                      I have to agree with this. I was in a local restaurant recently when a lady asked if she could vape. She was told as long as nobody objected. The restaurant wasn’t full and although myself and my friend were not happy we said nothing. However throughout the course of the evening she went outside for a ‘proper’ smoke. I live close to 2 secondary schools, and the number of youngsters I see vaping as they go past has increased alarmingly!
                      I grew up in a household of smokers, father, stepmother, step grandfather and I hated it. I vowed that I would never let myself or my home smell like that.

Comment

It's fairly obvious from anecdotes that some people have managed to kick the habit using eCigs, while others have just continued vaping instead of eCigs... but what's the harm?

It seems like vaping is probably less harmful to the user than tobacco, but even if it's just as harmful surely everyone can agree that's it's much more pleasant to encounter someone puffing on an eCig than on a cigarette? Anecdotally, I think the number of times I walk through a cloud of smoke when walking in the city has reduced in recent years. It makes my experience much more pleasant!

People will do what they want to do. The important thing is for these liquids to be regulated so that people at least know that they're getting what they think they're buying. Clearly the government are doing a lot of work to examine this (and, undoubtedly, the effectiveness of eCigs as an aid to quit smoking) so I'm inclined to believe those studies more than anecdotes.
                        Duncan S

See my blog!

Comment

Originally posted by Wilba View Post
                          Sorry Duncan but as an ex 20 a day smoker for 40 years whom after 30 years went onto cigars as I couldn't get enough 'pull' from a little cigarette, I totally agree with Stewart.

Once you convince your brain that smoking will almost certainly kill you, and firmly believe it, the rest is easy.

TBH I have no time for these dummy suckers, weak, weak weak...........Wilba
                          Agree that believing smoking will kill you is the main and strongest motivation to quit but disagree that it is easy. As someone else pointed out the habits that accompany smoking take a very long time to go away. I used to reach for my pack of cigarettes almost 3 months after I stopped.

Comment

Hi Wilba.
                            Of course its easy......i did it hundreds of times.
                            JC
                            C P Scott,,,,,"Comment is Free,,but Facts are Sacred"
                            "You are entitled to your opinion. But you are not entitled to your own facts.

Comment

Originally posted by jc, liverpool View Post
                              Hi Wilba.
                              Of course its easy......i did it hundreds of times.
                              JC
                              You're right JC,

Easy was not the best choice of word, although I was referring to the decision making more so than the physical act of reaching for the ciggie..........Wilba
                              Wilba

Comment

I stopped 18 months ago using nicotine spray. I still crave a smoke every day, and love the smell of cigarette smoke. Knowing that it would kill me made no difference. Smoking killed my dad. I could start again at any time.

Comment

We use cookies to give you the
                                best experience possible.

By continuing to use our website you
                                agree to our cookie policy

Working...
                                X