• Ahoy there! Why not join the UK’s largest cruising forum? The Cruise.co.uk forum is the perfect place to meet and interact with likeminded cruisers to have invaluable conversations. Whether you're a veteran cruiser or looking to set sail on the sea for the first time, everyone is welcome on our forum to participate in the hottest conversations in the cruising world. So, what are you waiting for? Join the forum today by clicking here to register!

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Vaping is backed in a Review by Public Health.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I’m surprised at the lack of empathy shown to those who find it difficult to give up smoking. If it was easy, far fewer people would smoke!

Willpower is fine, but people have many different pressures in their lives including work and family. I’m sure many people would be able to ‘just quit’ if all other pressures were taken away but that’s fairly unrealistic. Of course people can quit successfully cold turkey - great for them - but that’s far from the common experience.

If people can quit using eCigs then I think they’re great to have in the toolbox. I think most people would rather be around someone vaping than smoking.
    Duncan S

See my blog!

Comment

I should declare myself as an ex-smoker, although its been over 30 years since I had a puff. I was a 40 a day smoker.

There is only one way to give up.

You must tell everybody of your imminent intentions, then chuck away the half used packet. This symbolically tells the grey matter that it's final. None of this waiting until the packet is finished, because it might finish at an awkward time and you'll find it necessary to buy another and delay quitting.

No patches. No chewing gum. No vapes.

Just quit and change your habits, as that was the biggest problem that I found when at certain times ot places I would reach into my pocket, forgetting that I didn't smoke any more.

After a fortnight I had no cravings whatsoever, and that was after 20+ years on the things.

Stewart

Comment

Originally posted by dst87, Falkirk View Post
        I’m surprised at the lack of empathy shown to those who find it difficult to give up smoking. If it was easy, far fewer people would smoke!

Willpower is fine, but people have many different pressures in their lives including work and family. I’m sure many people would be able to ‘just quit’ if all other pressures were taken away but that’s fairly unrealistic. Of course people can quit successfully cold turkey - great for them - but that’s far from the common experience.

If people can quit using eCigs then I think they’re great to have in the toolbox. I think most people would rather be around someone vaping than smoking.
        Written like a man with experience. It's always easier for others to quit ......Neil

Comment

Same here Stewart, 60 a day from 16 until 1991, Not 1 ciggie since. Cold turkey, Yes it was hard with the normal pressures of work, Nursing my FIL with brain cancer and bringing up a family, But if you want to do it you can. I always said no one loved a smoke more than me, But purely for health reasons I did it. Jan.

Comment

I stopped smoking 25 years ago , When I was young everyone smoked .remember going to the cinema and watching films through a haze of smoke , unbelievable today . When I decided to stop I carried a full packet of cigarettes with me for about a year, When people said to me " how did you do that " I jus t felt that they were my crutch , and as long as they were in my bag I was ok , Probably strange to some people but it worked for me ,

Comment

Originally posted by Babs , Hodd. View Post
              As an ex heavy smoker (35 years in total) I know that it is extremely difficult to stop smoking. I managed it with the help of nicotine patches and a mild tranquiliser each day but even with that help I had a minor breakdown in the process. My son stopped smoking with the help of vaping and he was a 20 a day smoker so for that reason I would endorse vaping as a means to an end.
              My daughter gave up that way too, they have no nicotine in them, so must be better for you, it worked for her, and I'm delighted for her .................................................. ....................................Carol

Comment

Hi all
                I packed in smoking the hard way (5 yrs this April).......a Myocardial Infarction followed by a 5 graft Heart Bypass!!!!Did the trick!!!

Believe it or not,i asked the nurse about Vaping,,,she said "you can have a puff in the bed if you want."
                JC
                Last edited by jc, liverpool; 6th February 2018, 04:56 PM.
                C P Scott,,,,,"Comment is Free,,but Facts are Sacred"
                "You are entitled to your opinion. But you are not entitled to your own facts.

Comment

Was just reading Neil's blog when it came on the BBC news they had this expert ? on who said there was one drug of many that is more harmful than nicotine to cut the name down they call it popcorn lung as it was first found in a popcorn factory if it gets into the lungs it damages the cells with no cure As usual who do we believe or simple answer don't put anything into the lungs except air. One more point do not agree with getting e-cigs on the NHS as where is the extra money coming from.

Comment

Sorry Duncan but as an ex 20 a day smoker for 40 years whom after 30 years went onto cigars as I couldn't get enough 'pull' from a little cigarette, I totally agree with Stewart.

Once you convince your brain that smoking will almost certainly kill you, and firmly believe it, the rest is easy.

TBH I have no time for these dummy suckers, weak, weak weak...........Wilba
                    Wilba

Comment

Originally posted by Wilba View Post
                      Sorry Duncan but as an ex 20 a day smoker for 40 years whom after 30 years went onto cigars as I couldn't get enough 'pull' from a little cigarette, I totally agree with Stewart.

Once you convince your brain that smoking will almost certainly kill you, and firmly believe it, the rest is easy.

TBH I have no time for these dummy suckers, weak, weak weak...........Wilba
                      I'm really happy for you that you gave it up. I don't smoke, though I used to have the odd cig when on a night out at Uni, so I can't fully understand.

That said, I think any tools that are effective in helping someone give up should be encouraged, even if others can quit without the help. Everyone has some sort of weakness!
                      Duncan S

See my blog!

Comment

Has anyone actually looked at the link in Neil's initial post?

Publication date is interesting.

19th August 2015 !

I think I prefer more up to date data.
                        Last edited by Mrs M; 6th February 2018, 05:56 PM. Reason: added second ''I''

Comment

Originally posted by Mrs M View Post
                          Has anyone actually looked at the link in Neil's initial post?

Publication date is interesting.

19th August 2015 !

I think I prefer more up to date data.
                          I wonder if Neil posted the wrong link. There’s an update on the website dated today.

https://www.gov.uk/government/news/p...vidence-review
                          Duncan S

See my blog!

Comment

I wonder if Neil posted the wrong link. There’s an update on the website dated today.

https://www.gov.uk/government/news/p...vidence-review
                            Thank you.
                            Neil did post an incorrect link.

It has been pointed out [by a Professor at the London School of Tropical Medicine] that a study published in the US is ''more cautious'' of these devices. As different studies and experts have such varying thoughts, it's difficult to see the smoke from the fire! Our country seems to be ahead of others when welcoming them and is that good practice, or not?

Most people seem to agree though, more research is needed.

Well done the cold turkeys. Seems the safest method.

Comment

I had no choice when I gave up.
                              6 months in and out of Odstock hospital..as this is mainly the burns unit they frown upon you lighting up.
                              Regards
                              Garfield

Comment

Whether you just quit with willpower, chew gum, patches or vape. It has got to be better than smoking and rather than calling them weak dummy suckers, or whatever, we would be better off supporting them, in whatever way they see fit to give up, as long as it works for them.

Comment

We use cookies to give you the
                                best experience possible.

By continuing to use our website you
                                agree to our cookie policy

Working...
                                X