• Ahoy there! Why not join the UK’s largest cruising forum? The Cruise.co.uk forum is the perfect place to meet and interact with likeminded cruisers to have invaluable conversations. Whether you're a veteran cruiser or looking to set sail on the sea for the first time, everyone is welcome on our forum to participate in the hottest conversations in the cruising world. So, what are you waiting for? Join the forum today by clicking here to register!

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Caribbean Cruise

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Caribbean Cruise

We are thinking of going on a Caribbean cruise with Thomson on the Celebration ship next February. I have cruised before but my husband hasn't. His main concern is will he have to wear a dinner suit ( he doesn't mind wearing one but is unsure how to transport one considering the luggage allowance.)

Also has anyone been on this ship , and what are your thoughts on it.

Thanks

I have not been on the ship but I have cruised the Caribbean many times and have ALWAYS taken at least one DJ and kept within airline luggage restrictions. Never a problem.

Bear in mind day time clothes are at a minimum, shorts, T shirts, flip flops/sandals.

Most people take more than they ever need regardless............Wilba
    Wilba

Comment

There are lots of lightweight dinner suits made from non crease materials available. They are pretty cheap as well!

Comment

Originally posted by Geranium, Hornchurch View Post
        We are thinking of going on a Caribbean cruise with Thomson on the Celebration ship next February. I have cruised before but my husband hasn't. His main concern is will he have to wear a dinner suit ( he doesn't mind wearing one but is unsure how to transport one considering the luggage allowance.)

Also has anyone been on this ship , and what are your thoughts on it.

Thanks
        Hi

Hopefully JC, a Thomson veteran, will read and post.

I have cruised the Caribbean, on other lines, and easily 50% of the gentlemen did not wear a DJ.

Thomson is not as traditional a line as P&O or Cunard so I would leave the DJ at home - JMO. All that distance for what 2 or 3 evenings - not worth it JMO.

Annie

Comment

We cruised in June on ce!ebration out of Dubrovnik and took the dinner suit and plenty of clothes well within our allowance for two week cruise....as Wilba says most of your packing will be very lightweight, shorts t shirts and the like.
          We felt that most did dress formally on gala nights but you can always eat in the buffet if you don't want to dress up!

Comment

As others have said pack a DJ the modern ones are lightweight and do not crease when packed,
            Mine is a lot lighter than my lounge suite,or blazer..Taffy
            ​Taffy

Comment

Just pack as much heavy stuff in your hand luggage (mainly shoes) this will keep the weight down in the main suitcase.

Draw up a list of the days and write an outfit next to each day for daywear and evening wear you will be amazed how much surplus you will have.

Comment

Thank you for all your replies.

Comment

We'd heard negative comment about Thomsom but wanted to try for ourselves. We've been on about 10 cruises and wouldn't go with Thomson again. We went on the Celebration 1 week around Greece and Turkey and if it had been our 1st cruise it would have put us off. We've been to the Caribbean 3 times and really enjoyed it. If you are concerned about carrying extra weight you could ask about hiring a DJ onboard. Most ships offer this service.

Comment

I did the celebration last February. My hubby took a DJ and enjoys wearing one, you can always eat in buffet on formal nights if you do not want to go formal. The celebration is a lot more relaxed than other cruise lines about attire. It is caribbean and so the clothing you require is mainy lightweight.

We had a few problems on this ship but would definately go on it again, but would not use a cabin on the lower decks.

Comment

Although we haven't cruised with Thomson, Drew always takes his kilt outfit for any formal nights. It takes half his weight allowance but still manages enough clothes for the rest of the cruise so a modern lightweight suit should be no problem.
                      Cheers Drew and Linda

Comment

We use cookies to give you the
                      best experience possible.

By continuing to use our website you
                      agree to our cookie policy

Working...
                      X