• Ahoy there! Why not join the UK’s largest cruising forum? The Cruise.co.uk forum is the perfect place to meet and interact with likeminded cruisers to have invaluable conversations. Whether you're a veteran cruiser or looking to set sail on the sea for the first time, everyone is welcome on our forum to participate in the hottest conversations in the cruising world. So, what are you waiting for? Join the forum today by clicking here to register!

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

To tip or not to tip?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Smith7
    started a topic To tip or not to tip?

To tip or not to tip?

I have been doing some research for an up and coming trip in November and although it is not by cruise ship, the information I found on the tipping culture worldwide might be of interest to some of you.

http://www.whototip.net/

• smtcan, Scarborough
    replied
    Originally posted by annie, Glasgow View Post
    I am with Wilba on this one.

I know staff at my local hairdressers who can live off their tips and bank their wages.

This black economy income is untaxed but they are first in line for free public services.

Build the cost of the tip into the price - have we not heard that line before??

Annie

PS I have met many Americans who go along with the system although they are not comfortable with it.
    Tips are taxed in Ontario and have been for many years. My friend who works in a bar in a large downtown hotel told me about when the 'horsemen' (Mounties) came into the hotel and checked the tips on credit card slips. They also estimated the amount paid in cash and told the staff that anyone who did not declare an appropriate amount would be audited. It seemed as if they were checking different types of business to set standard levels. Tips are definitely not black economy here, although I am sure there is more 'wiggle room' than for salaried employees.

Leave a comment:

• Neil Down, Southampton
    replied
    Originally posted by Smith7 View Post
    Thank you Neil,

I wasn't sure about the heading but it has generated some interest so was worth posting.
    A well used or thought out heading is like fly paper... Regards.....

Leave a comment:

• Victoria, Aberystwyth
    replied
    We always tipped the excursion tour guides on our first few cruises but we are more selective now. Some trips are very easy and they have very little to do, and often enjoy the same refreshments as the passengers. Thinking back, some really worked very hard in challenging environments and deserved their tips. For instance, St P, timed entry to Hermitage, keeping the group together, providing detailed commantary. Athens - up to the Acropolis, again keeping the group together in a very busy environment. Also the Vatican. Not easy places.
    Last week, we went up Mount Etna. Nice enough commentary on the bus, refreshments and free time to roam. Easy trip for the guide.

Leave a comment:

• Delboy, Essex
    replied
    My barber charges me £7:50 to cut my hair, I always give the young man £10, what he does with the tip is no concern of mine.

There are certain people I tip such as in restaurants based on a %, other people I tip based on a set amount, for example the coach driver on our coach holidays.

Whether others tip or not does not really bother me same as whether people declare them or not.

Leave a comment:

• annie, Glasgow
    replied
    Originally posted by Wilba View Post
    The workers are not wholly innocent here. They are the one taking on a job then expecting tips of around 20% to fund what their employers should be responsible for.

As I stated earlier, I always tip in a restaurant or cafe, but 10% is my limit wherever in the world, like it or lump it. If ever they felt like challenging me, they would be the ones left red faced with embarrassment, not me.............Wilba
    I am with Wilba on this one.

I know staff at my local hairdressers who can live off their tips and bank their wages.

This black economy income is untaxed but they are first in line for free public services.

Build the cost of the tip into the price - have we not heard that line before??

Annie

PS I have met many Americans who go along with the system although they are not comfortable with it.

Leave a comment:

• Wilba
    replied
    Originally posted by smtcan, Scarborough View Post
    Blame the system, not the workers.
    The workers are not wholly innocent here. They are the one taking on a job then expecting tips of around 20% to fund what their employers should be responsible for.

As I stated earlier, I always tip in a restaurant or cafe, but 10% is my limit wherever in the world, like it or lump it. If ever they felt like challenging me, they would be the ones left red faced with embarrassment, not me.............Wilba

Leave a comment:

• Mrs M
    replied
    I know two people who work at the lower minimum wage for servers. One is a waitress and one a bar tender. They both make far more than the usual minimum wage when tips are added in. They 'tip up' a proportion of their tips to kitchen workers but are still happy with their income. I don't think Canadians are as generous tippers as Americans (on average) and they have to declare tips for income tax, but I can't imagine that they would be interested in changing the system. The mind set in North America is not the same as in UK.
    True, we're not of the same mindset here, but when in Rome and all that!!
    We tip minimum 15% when in the US but then, we go there so often and are often with friends who live there so we know and accept the system.
    Each to their own in this case, as always.

Leave a comment:

• annie, Glasgow
    replied
    Originally posted by Issyalex, Glasgow View Post
    It’s a catch 22. People so would love to challenge the system but won’t incase they loose their jobs, poor paid yes but it’s still a job and jobs give people purpose and pride.
    I wasn't just thinking of the workers.

Annie

Leave a comment:

• smtcan, Scarborough
    replied
    Originally posted by Issyalex, Glasgow View Post
    It’s a catch 22. People so would love to challenge the system but won’t incase they loose their jobs, poor paid yes but it’s still a job and jobs give people purpose and pride.
    I know two people who work at the lower minimum wage for servers. One is a waitress and one a bar tender. They both make far more than the usual minimum wage when tips are added in. They 'tip up' a proportion of their tips to kitchen workers but are still happy with their income. I don't think Canadians are as generous tippers as Americans (on average) and they have to declare tips for income tax, but I can't imagine that they would be interested in changing the system. The mind set in North America is not the same as in UK.

Leave a comment:

• Issyalex, Glasgow
    replied
    Originally posted by annie, Glasgow View Post
    However the system will never change if people don't challenge it??

Annie

Leave a comment:

• annie, Glasgow
    replied
    However the system will never change if people don't challenge it??

Annie

Leave a comment:

• SandyH, Carnforth
    replied
    Just been reading a thread on another cruise forum regarding tipping Royal Caribbean Genies serving Star class guests...some guests commented that they tipped $100USD per day per person that occupied their cabin! Not sure how many cabins they serve? I for one wouldn't tip that considering the cost of the fare, no matter how fabulous the service was. Their job description and job advert was also shown. They do receive a salary from RCCL too. Interesting reading.

Leave a comment:

• smtcan, Scarborough
    replied
    Originally posted by Wilba View Post
    If we were talking about the UK I wholeheartedly agree with you, but my comment was aimed at the US system whereby certain jobs are paid a paltry wage by some of the biggest wealthiest companies who then expect joe public to make up the wage packet just because 'it has always been done that way in the US'.

I don't run with that kind of system..............Wilba

Leave a comment:

• Wilba
    replied
    Also Wilba, I don't think people who work for less than minimum wage are crazy, even if they do rely on tips. I have more respect for people who work than for those who could work but prefer to collect benefits.
    If we were talking about the UK I wholeheartedly agree with you, but my comment was aimed at the US system whereby certain jobs are paid a paltry wage by some of the biggest wealthiest companies who then expect joe public to make up the wage packet just because 'it has always been done that way in the US'.

I don't run with that kind of system..............Wilba

Leave a comment:

We use cookies to give you the
best experience possible.

By continuing to use our website you
agree to our cookie policy

Working...
X