• Ahoy there! Why not join the UK’s largest cruising forum? The Cruise.co.uk forum is the perfect place to meet and interact with likeminded cruisers to have invaluable conversations. Whether you're a veteran cruiser or looking to set sail on the sea for the first time, everyone is welcome on our forum to participate in the hottest conversations in the cruising world. So, what are you waiting for? Join the forum today by clicking here to register!

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

To tip or not to tip?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Wilba View Post
    The workers are not wholly innocent here. They are the one taking on a job then expecting tips of around 20% to fund what their employers should be responsible for.

As I stated earlier, I always tip in a restaurant or cafe, but 10% is my limit wherever in the world, like it or lump it. If ever they felt like challenging me, they would be the ones left red faced with embarrassment, not me.............Wilba
    I am with Wilba on this one.

I know staff at my local hairdressers who can live off their tips and bank their wages.

This black economy income is untaxed but they are first in line for free public services.

Build the cost of the tip into the price - have we not heard that line before??

Annie

PS I have met many Americans who go along with the system although they are not comfortable with it.

Comment

My barber charges me £7:50 to cut my hair, I always give the young man £10, what he does with the tip is no concern of mine.

There are certain people I tip such as in restaurants based on a %, other people I tip based on a set amount, for example the coach driver on our coach holidays.

Whether others tip or not does not really bother me same as whether people declare them or not.
      Delboy

Photo Albums

https://www.flickriver.com/photos/delboyalbums/sets/

or

https://www.flickr.com/photos/delboyalbums/albums

Comment

We always tipped the excursion tour guides on our first few cruises but we are more selective now. Some trips are very easy and they have very little to do, and often enjoy the same refreshments as the passengers. Thinking back, some really worked very hard in challenging environments and deserved their tips. For instance, St P, timed entry to Hermitage, keeping the group together, providing detailed commantary. Athens - up to the Acropolis, again keeping the group together in a very busy environment. Also the Vatican. Not easy places.
        Last week, we went up Mount Etna. Nice enough commentary on the bus, refreshments and free time to roam. Easy trip for the guide.

Comment

Originally posted by Smith7 View Post
          Thank you Neil,

I wasn't sure about the heading but it has generated some interest so was worth posting.
          A well used or thought out heading is like fly paper... Regards.....

Comment

Originally posted by annie, Glasgow View Post
            I am with Wilba on this one.

I know staff at my local hairdressers who can live off their tips and bank their wages.

This black economy income is untaxed but they are first in line for free public services.

Build the cost of the tip into the price - have we not heard that line before??

Annie

PS I have met many Americans who go along with the system although they are not comfortable with it.
            Tips are taxed in Ontario and have been for many years. My friend who works in a bar in a large downtown hotel told me about when the 'horsemen' (Mounties) came into the hotel and checked the tips on credit card slips. They also estimated the amount paid in cash and told the staff that anyone who did not declare an appropriate amount would be audited. It seemed as if they were checking different types of business to set standard levels. Tips are definitely not black economy here, although I am sure there is more 'wiggle room' than for salaried employees.

Comment

We use cookies to give you the
            best experience possible.

By continuing to use our website you
            agree to our cookie policy

Working...
            X