• Ahoy there! Why not join the UK’s largest cruising forum? The Cruise.co.uk forum is the perfect place to meet and interact with likeminded cruisers to have invaluable conversations. Whether you're a veteran cruiser or looking to set sail on the sea for the first time, everyone is welcome on our forum to participate in the hottest conversations in the cruising world. So, what are you waiting for? Join the forum today by clicking here to register!

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

To tip or not to tip?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    #16
    How many tip the porters at Southampton,? my OH always has a couple of poUnds in his pocket for them, when they used to show you to your cabins back along he always gave them a quid, likewise taxi drivers and always a few pounds to the bus driver taking us on the ships tours.

    I think most people who worked in service industries always tip, my husband who sailed with PO and many more companies in the 50's and early 60's where grateful for them,.

    The Americans do not get paid very well in their jobs and work longer hours then us so they also rely on tips . CG
    sigpic

    Comment


      #17
      Originally posted by History Addict, Alfreton View Post
      I've had issues with actually giving tips in hotels in the UK. I've had very embarrassed staff when I've tried to tip them for escorting me to my room and also for room service. I now don't tip because I'd sooner be thought mean than have yet another embarrassing situation.

      I always tip taxi drivers in the UK. I think they work unsociable hours and have to put up with a lot of rubbish late of night so I always think it is nice for them to get an occasional good customer.

      Where I struggle is whether or not to tip for someone delivering a takeaway to the door.
      I always tip someone who delivers a takeaway meal to us, although that doesn't happen much these days because if we can't be bothered to cook we would rather eat out.
      Jill

      Comment


        #18
        Originally posted by cornish girl, falmouth View Post
        How many tip the porters at Southampton,? my OH always has a couple of poUnds in his pocket for them, when they used to show you to your cabins back along he always gave them a quid, likewise taxi drivers and always a few pounds to the bus driver taking us on the ships tours.

        I think most people who worked in service industries always tip, my husband who sailed with PO and many more companies in the 50's and early 60's where grateful for them,.

        The Americans do not get paid very well in their jobs and work longer hours then us so they also rely on tips . CG

        I am always amazed at the number of passengers who fail to tip the driver or the guide on excursions. I always give €5 or $5 to each and take small notes with me for the purpose.

        Comment


          #19
          Jill, you little tinker you, I avoided this thread because my views are fairly well known. How wrong I was to do so. That was far more interesting than your heading suggested and well done you.

          I now feel a little ashamed that I failed to peruse, I should have trusted you. ....Neil

          Comment


            #20
            Originally posted by History Addict, Alfreton View Post
            ......Where I struggle is whether or not to tip for someone delivering a takeaway to the door.

            We always tip delivery people, but I have probably mentioned before that when we had a pizza delivered in Shanghai our son gave the delivery person some notes which included a tip. A few minutes later there was a knock n the door and the young man handed the tip back and said 'too much'.

            Also Wilba, I don't think people who work for less than minimum wage are crazy, even if they do rely on tips. I have more respect for people who work than for those who could work but prefer to collect benefits.

            Comment


              #21
              Originally posted by Neil Down, Southampton View Post
              Jill, you little tinker you, I avoided this thread because my views are fairly well known. How wrong I was to do so. That was far more interesting than your heading suggested and well done you.

              I now feel a little ashamed that I failed to peruse, I should have trusted you. ....Neil
              Thank you Neil,

              I wasn't sure about the heading but it has generated some interest so was worth posting.
              Jill

              Comment


                #22
                Originally posted by smtcan, Scarborough View Post
                Also Wilba, I don't think people who work for less than minimum wage are crazy, even if they do rely on tips. I have more respect for people who work than for those who could work but prefer to collect benefits.
                If we were talking about the UK I wholeheartedly agree with you, but my comment was aimed at the US system whereby certain jobs are paid a paltry wage by some of the biggest wealthiest companies who then expect joe public to make up the wage packet just because 'it has always been done that way in the US'.

                I don't run with that kind of system..............Wilba
                Wilba

                Comment


                  #23
                  Originally posted by Wilba View Post
                  If we were talking about the UK I wholeheartedly agree with you, but my comment was aimed at the US system whereby certain jobs are paid a paltry wage by some of the biggest wealthiest companies who then expect joe public to make up the wage packet just because 'it has always been done that way in the US'.

                  I don't run with that kind of system..............Wilba
                  Blame the system, not the workers.

                  Comment


                    #24
                    Just been reading a thread on another cruise forum regarding tipping Royal Caribbean Genies serving Star class guests...some guests commented that they tipped $100USD per day per person that occupied their cabin! Not sure how many cabins they serve? I for one wouldn't tip that considering the cost of the fare, no matter how fabulous the service was. Their job description and job advert was also shown. They do receive a salary from RCCL too. Interesting reading.

                    Comment


                      #25
                      Originally posted by smtcan, Scarborough View Post
                      Blame the system, not the workers.
                      However the system will never change if people don't challenge it??


                      Annie

                      Comment


                        #26
                        Originally posted by annie, Glasgow View Post
                        However the system will never change if people don't challenge it??


                        Annie
                        It’s a catch 22. People so would love to challenge the system but won’t incase they loose their jobs, poor paid yes but it’s still a job and jobs give people purpose and pride.
                        don't want to work, just want to cruise.

                        Comment


                          #27
                          Originally posted by Issyalex, Glasgow View Post
                          It’s a catch 22. People so would love to challenge the system but won’t incase they loose their jobs, poor paid yes but it’s still a job and jobs give people purpose and pride.
                          I know two people who work at the lower minimum wage for servers. One is a waitress and one a bar tender. They both make far more than the usual minimum wage when tips are added in. They 'tip up' a proportion of their tips to kitchen workers but are still happy with their income. I don't think Canadians are as generous tippers as Americans (on average) and they have to declare tips for income tax, but I can't imagine that they would be interested in changing the system. The mind set in North America is not the same as in UK.

                          Comment


                            #28
                            Originally posted by Issyalex, Glasgow View Post
                            It’s a catch 22. People so would love to challenge the system but won’t incase they loose their jobs, poor paid yes but it’s still a job and jobs give people purpose and pride.
                            I wasn't just thinking of the workers.

                            Annie

                            Comment


                              #29
                              Originally posted by smtcan, Scarborough View Post
                              I know two people who work at the lower minimum wage for servers. One is a waitress and one a bar tender. They both make far more than the usual minimum wage when tips are added in. They 'tip up' a proportion of their tips to kitchen workers but are still happy with their income. I don't think Canadians are as generous tippers as Americans (on average) and they have to declare tips for income tax, but I can't imagine that they would be interested in changing the system. The mind set in North America is not the same as in UK.
                              True, we're not of the same mindset here, but when in Rome and all that!!
                              We tip minimum 15% when in the US but then, we go there so often and are often with friends who live there so we know and accept the system.
                              Each to their own in this case, as always.

                              Comment


                                #30
                                Originally posted by smtcan, Scarborough View Post
                                Blame the system, not the workers.
                                The workers are not wholly innocent here. They are the one taking on a job then expecting tips of around 20% to fund what their employers should be responsible for.

                                As I stated earlier, I always tip in a restaurant or cafe, but 10% is my limit wherever in the world, like it or lump it. If ever they felt like challenging me, they would be the ones left red faced with embarrassment, not me.............Wilba
                                Wilba

                                Comment


                                We use cookies to give you the
                                best experience possible.


                                By continuing to use our website you
                                agree to our cookie policy

                                Working...
                                X