• Ahoy there! Why not join the UK’s largest cruising forum? The Cruise.co.uk forum is the perfect place to meet and interact with likeminded cruisers to have invaluable conversations. Whether you're a veteran cruiser or looking to set sail on the sea for the first time, everyone is welcome on our forum to participate in the hottest conversations in the cruising world. So, what are you waiting for? Join the forum today by clicking here to register!

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

A Guide to Tipping.(Sorry)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wilba
    replied
    Originally posted by Lawnmowerman, Tain View Post
    Well, I didn't know tipping is not expected in China. That's handy. Every day's a school day!

Bill
    I did a couple of cruises with a Far Eastern cruise line in the late '90's and tipping was disallowed, with constant daily reminders to that effect.

The myth that service will suffer in these circumstances was blown away.

The service was without question, the best of the very best.

Quality service is a result of quality training and man management, not the size of the backhander...........Wilba

Leave a comment:

• smtcan, Scarborough
    replied
    Originally posted by annie, Glasgow View Post
    Well something has changed in 2000 tipping was not unusual.

My Chinese SIL tips - I take my lead from her rather than the Daily Mail.

Annie

We have visited China twice. On our first visit, seven years ago, we ordered pizza (after three weeks we wanted a change from Chinese food). The delivery person brought it to the door, and our son had money ready for him, the agreed amount and a tip. He took the money and left. In about ten minutes he came back saying 'too much!' and handed the tip back.

Last year, the culture had changed and tips seemed to be expected. Our guide told us that it was a result of the Olympics, when people from all over the world were in China and many tipped as a matter of course.

Sheila

Leave a comment:

• Norfolkgal, Norwich
    replied
    Just a personal observation - since gratuities have become automatically added to the cruise onboard spend, I feel the standards of service have dropped ( as if they don't need to make the effort) It could of course just be that as cruise lines compete for business they make cuts elsewhere and the standard of staff is one of them.

Leave a comment:

• Lawnmowerman, Tain
    replied

Annie
    I was surprised at that. Can't trust every source of information!

Bill

Leave a comment:

• annie, Glasgow
    replied
    Originally posted by Lawnmowerman, Tain View Post
    Well, I didn't know tipping is not expected in China. That's handy. Every day's a school day!

Bill

Annie

Leave a comment:

• Lawnmowerman, Tain
    replied

Bill

Leave a comment:

• Cooke, Ashby
    replied
    Australians and New Zealanders generally don't tip and it is not xpected. The dishes are for tourists who feel uncomfortable not tipping.

Leave a comment:

• annie, Glasgow
    replied
    Originally posted by Taffy, Wales View Post
    Or a list of lists ?? .

Interesting though how tipping is viewed around the world,Never thought someone would be offended by being given money ..Taffy
    Oh I knew that.

Sadly though I think the tipping culture is now permeating everywhere.

Australia is held up as a bastion against tipping - not so - judging by the tipping bowls at café shops in Australian airports.

When my brother held his Chinese wedding reception (1 of 2), they took over the whole restaurant and gave a hefty tip in advance. That was 1995.

Annie

PS If someone famous for lists threads wants to start another one, I'll cope
    Last edited by annie, Glasgow; 20th February 2015, 11:41 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Taffy, Wales
    replied
    So you should be Taffy BTW I didn't click on the link.

Time for a smoking or dress code thread.

Annie
    Or a list of lists ?? .

Interesting though how tipping is viewed around the world,Never thought someone would be offended by being given money ..Taffy

Leave a comment:

• annie, Glasgow
    replied
    Originally posted by Taffy, Wales View Post
    From todays Mail

A guide to tipping etiquette around the world | Daily Mail Online

Part of the piece has a guide to US tipping you can see where the cruise line get there Tipping rates from...Taffy
    So you should be Taffy BTW I didn't click on the link.

Time for a smoking or dress code thread.

Annie

Leave a comment:

We use cookies to give you the
best experience possible.

By continuing to use our website you
agree to our cookie policy

Working...
X