• Ahoy there! Why not join the UK’s largest cruising forum? The Cruise.co.uk forum is the perfect place to meet and interact with likeminded cruisers to have invaluable conversations. Whether you're a veteran cruiser or looking to set sail on the sea for the first time, everyone is welcome on our forum to participate in the hottest conversations in the cruising world. So, what are you waiting for? Join the forum today by clicking here to register!

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Tipping on Cruise Ships - general overview

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Evangelically

Originally posted by Smith, Crayford View Post
    That's a very interesting point Dave and not something that I had considered.
    My OH has a real problem with the cruise tipping culture and to quote Neil 'finds it embarrassing and demeaning'. He would much rather pay extra for the cruise than have to worry about tips, providing of course, that the extra was going to the staff who presently rely on tips to bump up their meagre salary.
    I don't do Facebook and don't want to start (I spend enough time on here!). Is there another medium whereby I can support the cause?
    Jill

Hi Jill

Keep spreading the views by any manner possible. When on ships and when talking to anyone about cruising matters, it's not going to happen overnight but with constant mentioning it will happen. ..... Regards ....Neil

Comment

Originally posted by Neil Down, Southampton View Post
      Hi Jill

Keep spreading the views by any manner possible. When on ships and when talking to anyone about cruising matters, it's not going to happen overnight but with constant mentioning it will happen. ..... Regards ....Neil
      Well let's hope it's in our lifetime then.
      Jill

Comment

But the people in suites who have the higher grats also have more staff looking after them. You have a cabin steward and head of house keeping also a butler.

$3 more per day seems a good deal to me.

Comment

I notice on the latest deals offered on cruise.co.uk, that P & O are offering 'fantastic' discounts. Is this because word has got around of their mendacious attempt to steal the tips from the crew (who are badly enough paid anyway) & no one is booking with them? Was this tipping policy a try-on by Carnival Corporation, which they have piloted on P & O but is coming unstuck? I hope this is evidence that cruisers are a decent, ethical, lot who are not prepared to co-operate in this blatent rip-off. As for people prepared to go cruising with P & O despite this attack on the income of some of the lowest paid people most of us come into contact with, I hope I don't find myself on a cruise with any of them.

Comment

Originally posted by Kenwasnot the mayor, Islington View Post
            I notice on the latest deals offered on cruise.co.uk, that P & O are offering 'fantastic' discounts. Is this because word has got around of their mendacious attempt to steal the tips from the crew (who are badly enough paid anyway) & no one is booking with them? Was this tipping policy a try-on by Carnival Corporation, which they have piloted on P & O but is coming unstuck? I hope this is evidence that cruisers are a decent, ethical, lot who are not prepared to co-operate in this blatent rip-off. As for people prepared to go cruising with P & O despite this attack on the income of some of the lowest paid people most of us come into contact with, I hope I don't find myself on a cruise with any of them.
            If you found yourself on a cruise with some of the people that you are attacking,what would your reaction be?/

I only cruise with P&o and i will only tip in the traditional way via the brown envelopes at the end of the cruise.

jim+

Comment

Just a thought P&O cruise Australia and Carnival when cruising from Australia do expect tips because the Austrailns will not pay them. Glad that Thomson are now sailing from the Uk, we went in May on atrip to the Fjords and had a wonderful cruise,service was first class. In fact it so good that we give our waiters and cabin stewards,extra because we felt that they deserved it If we went on P&O cruise again we would only tip them that give us a good service. Ivorvann.

Comment

Originally posted by Kenwasnot the mayor, Islington View Post
                I don't think that the fare reduction has anything to do with the tipping policy, on the whole that is working for P & O as I understand it, in that most people allow that new system to stand. There are those who opt to pay tips separately but the income for the crew, it would appear, is better than that which existed before its instigation.

The price drop is because cruise ships need to fill their ships which they are failing to do and you may have noticed that there promotions by most cruise lines to get bookings.

I maintain that P & O missed a great opportunity to change the whole system; they should have done away with suggested tips and raised the initial fare fractionally to be able to ensure that the staff received a fair wage. If then passengers felt they wanted to leave a small, yes small tip to someone who had be brilliant or had gone out of their way to help then we would have the thing that most British would regard as a proper tipping situation. .....Neil

Comment

Thanks to Neil re his post #112. It seems that all the cruise companies are discounting their cruises, due to the economic situation. I have recently spoken to some friends who have recently cruised with P&O, and they have said that there were a lot of cruisers complaining about the new tipping system, and the new pensiluar club that P&O have introduced. They told that some of these cruisers had the tips from being deducted from their accounts. I can not say whether this true ornot. Perhaps Neil may know beterr than I do. Thanks. Ivorvann.

Comment

Originally posted by ivorvann, Rochdale View Post
                    Thanks to Neil re his post #112. It seems that all the cruise companies are discounting their cruises, due to the economic situation. I have recently spoken to some friends who have recently cruised with P&O, and they have said that there were a lot of cruisers complaining about the new tipping system, and the new pensiluar club that P&O have introduced. They told that some of these cruisers had the tips from being deducted from their accounts. I can not say whether this true ornot. Perhaps Neil may know beterr than I do. Thanks. Ivorvann.
                    Ivorvann, thanks for your response and for the concilliatory tone. I am sure that to a degree you have some things right. Yes, there are people who dislike this new system and have the auto-tips stopped but from what I have heard this is a minority of passengers and of those that do stop the auto-deduction many go on to pay the recommended amount. The result of this is that the overall income from tips is better that it used to be. This may seem like a contradiction and we know from the posts on here that many P & O passengers have taken umbrage at the new system but it would appear to be a win for P & O even though it is, in my opinion, not a huge one.

It would also appear that the staff, even though there is a risk of these tips being deducted should passengers "balck mark" them are also happy with the new system because it has increased their income. I think that is also an indicator that more is now coming in from this new system than was being taken by the last one.

We, the outsiders, can not prove anything but listening to what has been said gives a big indication that P & O are npt likely to change it. That is a shame and we can but hope that they will bite the bullet sometime. Regards. .....Neil

Comment

Originally posted by Neil Down, Southampton View Post
                      I maintain that P & O missed a great opportunity to change the whole system; they should have done away with suggested tips and raised the initial fare fractionally to be able to ensure that the staff received a fair wage. If then passengers felt they wanted to leave a small, yes small tip to someone who had be brilliant or had gone out of their way to help then we would have the thing that most British would regard as a proper tipping situation. .....Neil
                      I agree with you Neil. Last year, on Regen,t (no tipping expected) we tipped our butler because he had been brilliant (aren't they all?) and our stewardess who had helped him to decorate our suite for our Ruby Wedding Anniversary. They both seemed genuinely surprised. Judith

Comment

Originally posted by Cooke, Ashby View Post
                        I agree with you Neil. Last year, on Regen,t (no tipping expected) we tipped our butler because he had been brilliant (aren't they all?) and our stewardess who had helped him to decorate our suite for our Ruby Wedding Anniversary. They both seemed genuinely surprised. Judith
                        Same here last week on Regent Seven Seas Navigator.

Gratuities were included but it was a pleasure to pass on an additional reward to the staff who had looked after us so well.

It's only money after all and not a great deal when compared to what we pay for our cruises.

Comment

Originally posted by jimtheoldsalt, felixstowe View Post
                          If you found yourself on a cruise with some of the people that you are attacking,what would your reaction be?/

I only cruise with P&o and i will only tip in the traditional way via the brown envelopes at the end of the cruise.

jim+
                          Ask them what they thought of the policy.

Comment

We use cookies to give you the
                          best experience possible.

By continuing to use our website you
                          agree to our cookie policy

Working...
                          X