• Ahoy there! Why not join the UK’s largest cruising forum? The Cruise.co.uk forum is the perfect place to meet and interact with likeminded cruisers to have invaluable conversations. Whether you're a veteran cruiser or looking to set sail on the sea for the first time, everyone is welcome on our forum to participate in the hottest conversations in the cruising world. So, what are you waiting for? Join the forum today by clicking here to register!

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Princess Cruises Tipping Guidelines

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Celebrity will cancel tipping charges already made, any time in the first half of a cruise-maybe more. There is not going to be any end to this controversy- dropping tips will only increase the basic fare, we are going to have to pay one way or another.for my part I prefer tp choose where the money goes.
    Pedrom

Comment

Yes, that is the point

Originally posted by Pedrom View Post
      Celebrity will cancel tipping charges already made, any time in the first half of a cruise-maybe more. There is not going to be any end to this controversy- dropping tips will only increase the basic fare, we are going to have to pay one way or another.for my part I prefer tp choose where the money goes.
      Pedrom
      Yes, it will increase the basic cost but it will even out what everyone pays because at the moment many people pay little or nothing in the way of tips thus making it a very uneven playing field. To a degree those who pay the suggested amount are supporting those who don't and those who don't are becoming more in number than the system can stand.

The current system is not fit for purpose in this day and age and should be scrapped. The cruise lines are procrastinating but at some time must give in and recognise that the only way forward is to get rid of this archaic, broken, unfair system and create something which is acceptable to all. ......Neil

Comment

Originally posted by Neil Down, Southampton View Post
        Yes, it will increase the basic cost but it will even out what everyone pays because at the moment many people pay little or nothing in the way of tips thus making it a very uneven playing field. To a degree those who pay the suggested amount are supporting those who don't and those who don't are becoming more in number than the system can stand.

The current system is not fit for purpose in this day and age and should be scrapped. The cruise lines are procrastinating but at some time must give in and recognise that the only way forward is to get rid of this archaic, broken, unfair system and create something which is acceptable to all. ......Neil
        Neil,

I find your comments a little preposterous and lacking in qualification. How do you know that 'many people pay little or nothing' or that the numbers are 'more in numbers than the system can stand' or that the system is 'not fit for purpose'.

What you really mean is that you disagree with the current system and will present your thoughts as facts to substantiate your case.

When you say the system is not fit for purpose you should remember that you are not necessarily privy to its true purpose. You, like me, think that its purpose is to collect revenue to subsidise the staff wages. We choose to ignore that the 'Line' create, modify, manage, administer etc, their systems and that includes the contracts of their employees. It would be foolish to say that it is not fit for purpose without having a full understanding of the complete system.

I'm not saying that I disagree with you more that you should talk factually not simply present your thoughts as facts. If we had the facts perhaps we may all have a different opinion.
        sigpic

Comment

Not fit for purpose

Originally posted by VinnyTurner, Dukinfield View Post
          Neil,

I find your comments a little preposterous and lacking in qualification. How do you know that 'many people pay little or nothing' or that the numbers are 'more in numbers than the system can stand' or that the system is 'not fit for purpose'.

What you really mean is that you disagree with the current system and will present your thoughts as facts to substantiate your case.

When you say the system is not fit for purpose you should remember that you are not necessarily privy to its true purpose. You, like me, think that its purpose is to collect revenue to subsidise the staff wages. We choose to ignore that the 'Line' create, modify, manage, administer etc, their systems and that includes the contracts of their employees. It would be foolish to say that it is not fit for purpose without having a full understanding of the complete system.

I'm not saying that I disagree with you more that you should talk factually not simply present your thoughts as facts. If we had the facts perhaps we may all have a different opinion.

Comment

Thanks for the qualification Neil. My grasp of the English language has never been one of my strengths.

I do accept what you are saying in terms of your conversations with those on 'the inside' however, do you not find it rather enlightening that they (your contacts etc) actively acknowledge that their systems, that were, it appears, designed to help us, the paying passenger, top up the wages of their crew, actually believe that this is acceptable in this 'day and age'!! I'm astonished that they could hold such a view that if they keep tweeking their systems to make it more difficult for passengers to avoid paying their 'descretionary' policies that this would 'some how' make it all ok. They do not appear to understand the meaning of the word 'descretionary'. Surely this is the only element that needs to be changed, ie. it should be mandatory. However, perhaps where those sharp eyed 'bean counters' come into their own. Perhaps they have realised that if they make the necessary change to mandatory then purhaps they will find it even more difficult to fill the ever increasing number of berths? Perhaps I'm wrong but I suspect that those who have access to all the figures (That is the cruiselines accountants and even then we will never know if they have all the figures, such as those tips paid in person in cash for example) will have considered many different scenarios and modelled the potential outcome and realised that 'descretionary' is perhaps the most balanced approach.
            Last edited by VinnyTurner, Dukinfield; 12th July 2010, 02:53 PM. Reason: spelling
            sigpic

Comment

Who makes the rules?

Originally posted by VinnyTurner, Dukinfield View Post
              Thanks for the qualification Neil. My grasp of the English language has never been one of my strengths.

I do accept what you are saying in terms of your conversations with those on 'the inside' however, do you not find it rather enlightening that they (your contacts etc) actively acknowledge that their systems, that were, it appears, designed to help us, the paying passenger, top up the wages of their crew, actually believe that this is acceptable in this 'day and age'!! I'm astonished that they could hold such a view that if they keep tweeking their systems to make it more difficult for passengers to avoid paying their 'descretionary' policies that this would 'some how' make it all ok. They do not appear to understand the meaning of the word 'descretionary'. Surely this is the only element that needs to be changed, ie. it should be mandatory. However, perhaps where those sharp eyed 'bean counters' come into their own. Perhaps they have realised that if they make the necessary change to mandatory then purhaps they will find it even more difficult to fill the ever increasing number of berths? Perhaps I'm wrong but I suspect that those who have access to all the figures (That is the cruiselines accountants and even then we will never know if they have all the figures, such as those tips paid in person in cash for example) will have considered many different scenarios and modelled the potential outcome and realised that 'descretionary' is perhaps the most balanced approach.
              You, dear boy, whether by purpose or by chance have hit the crux of the matter.

I don't believe that I have ever spoken knowingly to a Bean Counter, I have talked to many who are ruled by their pronouncements and who are often appalled by what they have to do. I will say no more about that.

The viewpoint we have expounded on here is well known to many in the industry and some even say they would recommend it for the future but the whole shebang is often run on the whim of the BCs. ....Neil

Comment

Neil well said I think you sum up the feeling in general on this side of the Atlantic taking in to consideration the different cultures involved. America is a young country and they are still learning. As we still are as well, but it sometimes seems that they are a little bit behind in the evolutionary cycle. Hopefully they will catch up in the not too distant future
                Bob

Comment

Surely if more and more people are removing gratuities then this points to a drop in the standard of service (Princess is one for sure) by making it compulsory will lead to less passengers and dearer cruises.

On our P & O cruise tipping was simple we tipped those who served us well and not those who remained sullen. The acual ammount was 50 % more than our Princess cruise.
                  Cruising is like;

Being in The Garden of Eating

Comment

Not necessarily

Originally posted by tenpin, Basingstoke View Post
                    Surely if more and more people are removing gratuities then this points to a drop in the standard of service (Princess is one for sure) by making it compulsory will lead to less passengers and dearer cruises.

I don't think that it necessarily follows that people are removing their gratuities because of a fall in standards. I am fairly convinced, as I have said more than once, that it is because newcomers do not understand the need to tip and because many people are encouraged by seemingly low prices to cruise and feel that the extra involved in tipping is too much and because, to be honest, some people are just tight.
                    By including them in the headline / initial price people have a much beter idea of the cost of a cruise.

On our P & O cruise tipping was simple we tipped those who served us well and not those who remained sullen. The acual ammount was 50 % more than our Princess cruise.
                    I must have been lucky for in all the cruises we have done I can only remember two "sullen waiters" . .....Neil

Comment

Originally posted by Neil Down, Southampton View Post
                      I must have been lucky for in all the cruises we have done I can only remember two "sullen waiters" . .....Neil

Lucky you, guess you stay in your cabin all day like my near neighbour.
                      Cruising is like;

Being in The Garden of Eating

Comment

I was once told that some ships have lists posted up for the crew of the names and cabin numbers of those passengers that have had the tip removed from their account. I wonder why? I shudder to think!!! Or am I just being paranoid?
                        Adrienne

Comment

Right on both occasions

Originally posted by mar45, Poolw View Post
                          I was once told that some ships have lists posted up for the crew of the names and cabin numbers of those passengers that have had the tip removed from their account. I wonder why? I shudder to think!!! Or am I just being paranoid?
                          1. Yes, you are right, most ships have a list of those who have not agreed to have tips added to their OBC or have not paid them with their cruise price.

2. Yes, you are right, you are being paranoid. There are many reasons why the list goes up and I will let you consider the reasons in your own time. I will start you off with; so that they know who will require envelopes on their beds on the penultimate night. So stop shuddering and think on. ....Neil

Comment

Hi Thanks for that Neil, but I do think that those who have them removed should be made aware that the crew are informed. It beats me why there is so much hostility to these being charged. When you consider all the people involved in looking after you whilst on the ship and the hard work and long hours that are entailed I think that $10 for every 24 hours of "care" is quite amazing. As well as those people who prefer to tip the staff personally I'm quite sure there are just as many, if not more, that would not leave anything. I myself have come across quite a few of these who think it's great to "get away" without leaving anybody a tip. Perhaps Neil paranoia is not such a bad thing. It just might make some people think twice!!
                            Adrienne

Comment

We use cookies to give you the
                            best experience possible.

By continuing to use our website you
                            agree to our cookie policy

Working...
                            X