• Ahoy there! Why not join the UK’s largest cruising forum? The Cruise.co.uk forum is the perfect place to meet and interact with likeminded cruisers to have invaluable conversations. Whether you're a veteran cruiser or looking to set sail on the sea for the first time, everyone is welcome on our forum to participate in the hottest conversations in the cruising world. So, what are you waiting for? Join the forum today by clicking here to register!

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Celebrity Cruises Tipping Policy

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Gerrym, Essex
    Sorry Wilba, not correct.

We have been on Celebrity 4 times and each time we go to the Pursers office on day one and request they remove automatic gratuities. Always been done with a smile and has never been a problem. We have never recieved the letter you speak about but that's perhaps because it never applies to us.

Cheers

Gerry

I don't know how recently you cruised Celebrity but times they are a changin'.........On two recent cruises I heard people were deffered at the desk and told to come back at the end of cruise and if the service was not up to standard to reconsider their actions............Wilba
    Wilba

Comment

That's going back a while AussieOne! No, thats one of the casualties of the new, more pedestrianised Bournemouth. I remember the Criterion, one of my first drinking stops once I was legal! Unfortunately it was allowed to get run down and got a bad reputation. All clothes shops at that side of town now. You wouldn't recognise Bournemouth these days, not all changes for the good though.

Comment

2 in the last year, 2 older.
        2 in last 4 months..........beat 'cha.
        Wilba

Comment

Ah, but how do you know my 2 in the last year were in fact not both in March?

Might have beat 'cha!

Nah! I won!
          Wilba

Comment

Returning to the heading of this thread the Celebrity brochure for 2010 is very clear in saying " If you haven't pre-paid your service charges, for your convenience, we will automatically add a service charge for restaurant and stateroom service to your onboard SeaPass account".

Interestingly, the current on board Guest Ticket Booklet says much the same except for the critical "If you haven't pre-paid your service charges".

Why leave these words out of the Guest Ticket Booklet? Not a mention of pre-paid gratuities. At the least it makes for confusion.

Perhaps it is something for those who have prepaid gratuities to keep a close eye on to ensure they are not charged twice.

Comment

We went on the Summit this year and auto tips were new to us, although Celebrity was'nt.

I thought the service may have declined because of it! Thankfully it had'nt and I was more then happy to pay the auto tips. What did suprise me was how many people still gave extra. We were on a back to back and had two different tables for eight. Both weeks all our table companions tipped extra including the wine waiter.

Comment

Originally posted by Patience32, Devon View Post
                We went on the Summit this year and auto tips were new to us, although Celebrity was'nt.

I thought the service may have declined because of it! Thankfully it had'nt and I was more then happy to pay the auto tips. What did suprise me was how many people still gave extra. We were on a back to back and had two different tables for eight. Both weeks all our table companions tipped extra including the wine waiter.

This is getting ridiculous Patience. I like Celebrity cruises because the service is a little better than the other lines I have cruised with. I am quite happy to pay gratuities in whatever form they come but there is a limit. The levels recommended or imposed by the cruise lines are quite sufficient in my opinion and to see people tipping on top of this makes you wonder where it will stop. On our last Celebrity cruise of 14 nights, my wife and I paid $336 in gratuities plus 15% on drinks etc., which includes the wine waiter.

If anybody wants to throw their money around, they are perfectly entitled to but that should not make anyone feel guilty that they are not tipping extra.

It reinforces Neil Down's assertion that the price of the cruise should be increased to cover proper staff wages and to stop this practice of adding considerable sums to your bill for tips and gratuities.

Comment

Yes I agree it is getting ridiculous and very confusing !

Like yourselves we went for two weeks and our tips were around $380 plus 15% on all of our drinks. That to me seems plenty and I did feel slightly guilty for not tipping extra. The auto tipping was convenient but not if you are expected to tip on top !

I am almost tempted to remove them next time and go back to the traditional way although I think that will be made harder in the future.

I also agree they should just put the cost up to cover wages etc . I'm sure I was paying the same for cruises 15 years ago as I am now.

Comment

Nifty what pub would you reckomend in bournemouth ? some where i dont have to tip lol.
                    Johndog this is the first time ive asked about the old cry

Comment

I am on the eclipse next year with my wife and two children and there is no chance of them coming in to the dinning room they do there own thing so i will not be giving any tips for them but do not object to putting tips in a gratuite box in a self service areas .
                      Last edited by HAPPY CRUISER, LIVERPOOL; 27th August 2010, 09:46 AM.

Comment

We use cookies to give you the
                      best experience possible.

By continuing to use our website you
                      agree to our cookie policy

Working...
                      X