• Ahoy there! Why not join the UK’s largest cruising forum? The Cruise.co.uk forum is the perfect place to meet and interact with likeminded cruisers to have invaluable conversations. Whether you're a veteran cruiser or looking to set sail on the sea for the first time, everyone is welcome on our forum to participate in the hottest conversations in the cruising world. So, what are you waiting for? Join the forum today by clicking here to register!

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Gratuities! Who charges what? 2011 Update!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Gratuities! Who charges what? 2011 Update!

Gratuities Jan 2011 - Who charges what?

What are your thoughts?

Any pleasant/nasty surprises?

Robinson Cruisoe, Mrs
    Cruises.co.uk Community Manager

Please note: I am currently on maternity leave. Should you have any admin queries, please send a PM to Nisha at sea . Thanks

Robinson Cruisoe, Mrs
    Cruises.co.uk Community Manager

Thanks for that chart RC - very interesting information. I wonder how much our members add when they are served drinks on P & O cruise ships - would you consider 10% appropriate? Is 15% too much or do you think that tips are only for the well-breached to pay?

Comment

Yes a very useful chart. NCL and MSC are pretty high considering that they are NOT a 'premium' brand like 'Celebrity' or 'Cunard', however they do often charge low fares.

It's all 'swings and roundabouts' really.
      See my cruise blog: HERE

Comment

Originally posted by Hampshire Thorn, Fareham View Post
        Thanks for that chart RC - very interesting information. I wonder how much our members add when they are served drinks on P & O cruise ships - would you consider 10% appropriate? Is 15% too much or do you think that tips are only for the well-breached to pay?
        Hi - on P&O you simply don't tip per drink. There's no facility so to do other than giving cash, and of course people don't routinely carry cash.

Lots of people will tip a favourite barman towards the end of the cruise, but there is no 'per-drink' tipping.

Comment

I like the chart. gives a good general guide to tipping so there should be no nasty suprises. We now could do with a similar chart that deals with the Spanish VAT charges. No one seems to know when these charges apply. Vinny
          sigpic

Comment

Hi Thanks for posting this information - one query how did the person arrive at the conclusion that P&O were the cheapest for tips when 4 of the cruiselines included tips in the fare?

Comment

Originally posted by VinnyTurner, Dukinfield View Post
              I like the chart. gives a good general guide to tipping so there should be no nasty suprises. We now could do with a similar chart that deals with the Spanish VAT charges. No one seems to know when these charges apply. Vinny
              Sadly Vinny it will only be read by the majority of us who are in the know.

The first timer will only find out the hard way.

Maybe they should make it a regular centre page spread in certain Sunday papers.
              Wilba

Comment

Is that because a well-breeched person has a massive hole in his pocket where all the gratuities fall out?

Dictionary - Definition of breeched
                Money in the pocket: the swell is well breeched

Dictionary - Definition of breached
                Make a gap in and break through
                Last edited by Pete, Caerphilly; 12th January 2011, 02:49 PM.
                Pete

sigpic
                If I can't be SKIING then CRUISING is the next best thing

Comment

The P&O drinks price includes a commission (or tip) for the waiter so no other tip is expected. However, you can always tip your favorite barman, should you wish, at the end of the cruise if you have had excellent service.
                  Brian

Comment

Hi Mrs RC, is this to be a part of the new brochure? would be useful

BTW thought I'd read somewhere that RCI were increasing their gratuities?
                    Helen

the keeper Loobyloo, Hugo and Tinkerbell (the cats) and The Cluckingtons (the chickens)

Comment

Originally posted by Sophiesnores, Basingstoke View Post

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Sophiesnores, Basingstoke View Post

I think you'll find they have gone from $9.50 & $11.50 to $9.75 & $12
                        Wilba

Comment

Originally posted by Wilba View Post
                          I think you'll find they have gone from $9.50 & $11.50 to $9.75 & $12
                          Wilba,

I thought they were $3.5 for both waiter and cabin, $2.75 for assistant and $.75 for head waiter.

Vinny
                          sigpic

Comment

Comment

Tips on Royal Caribean are quite voluntary, the only exception being when My Time Dining is taken.Drinks purchased include a 15% tip.It has always been my policy to give the Room Steward a nominal $10 on the first night therefore ensuring good service and security of my personal items throughout the cruise.On the last night to then follow up with a substancial amount in appreciation.This formula has proven effect in other services such as the Dining room when a table change is requested.

Comment

We use cookies to give you the
                              best experience possible.

By continuing to use our website you
                              agree to our cookie policy

Working...
                              X