• Ahoy there! Why not join the UK’s largest cruising forum? The Cruise.co.uk forum is the perfect place to meet and interact with likeminded cruisers to have invaluable conversations. Whether you're a veteran cruiser or looking to set sail on the sea for the first time, everyone is welcome on our forum to participate in the hottest conversations in the cruising world. So, what are you waiting for? Join the forum today by clicking here to register!

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

RCI Wine List May 2012

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

RCI Wine List May 2012

Here is a link to a sky drive slide show of the complete May 2012 Wine list

https://skydrive.live.com/?cid=1cdc3...2A4C6D9%211139

Pete
    Pete

sigpic
    If I can't be SKIING then CRUISING is the next best thing

can you post this again your link to your website do's not work meny thanks mick

Comment

thanks for your wine list it gives you a good insight do you have any bar prices pity they have not got a tesco on board these prices seem to be a ripoff but thats royal caribbean meny thanks

Comment

can you post this again your link to your website do's not work meny thanks mick

It worked for me , but anyway here it is again. Hope this works for you. IF it doesn't let me know

https://skydrive.live.com/?cid=1cdc3...1139&sc=photos
        Last edited by Pete, Caerphilly; 5th July 2012, 06:14 AM.
        Pete

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by mick, congleton View Post
          thanks for your wine list it gives you a good insight do you have any bar prices pity they have not got a tesco on board these prices seem to be a ripoff but thats royal caribbean meny thanks
          Unfortunately I haven't got a current list. An oversight I hope to rectify in the next few weeks, So if you are cruising in Sept or later I should be able to post some current drinks prices for you. If you are going before then "Have a Great Cruise"
          Pete

sigpic

Comment

Wine Packages

Hi Pete

I wondered if you knew how the wine packages worked as I am trying to work out what the saving would be. I'm assuming that the purchase price includes the 15% gratuity, and (as we are sailing from Malaga) we would avoid the 8% Spanish tax.

Therefore if I don't take a package and I buy one of the bottles from the Diamond Package in the restaurant at (say) $40 it will cost me $49.68. If my US$ get converted back into £ at 1.5 then it costs me £33.12.

If I buy the 5 bottle package then price is £28.34 / bottle and so I save £4.78. If however if there is no gratuity included then this would increase the cost to £32.59 virtually the same price as the package, and if the 8% tax is added on top then it goes up to £35.20.

It seems to me that the savings on the packages are not really worth the effort unless you know that you are going to only pick the most expensive ones from the list. (In my view a bit daft to just pick something to "get your money's worth"!). However, I thought I'd check in case I'm missing something.
            Last edited by Islander, Quendale; 9th September 2012, 07:57 AM.

Comment

Why not wait until you board so you can check out the current prices and whether the 8% Spanish Tax is applicable?

I cruise with RCI fairly often and this is one cruiseline where the savings on a wine package as opposed to single purchases are worthwhile............Wilba
              Wilba

Comment

Originally posted by Islander, Quendale View Post
                Hi Pete

I wondered if you knew how the wine packages worked as I am trying to work out what the saving would be. I'm assuming that the purchase price includes the 15% gratuity, and (as we are sailing from Malaga) we would avoid the 8% Spanish tax.

Therefore if I don't take a package and I buy one of the bottles from the Diamond Package in the restaurant at (say) $40 it will cost me $49.68. If my US$ get converted back into £ at 1.5 then it costs me £33.12.

If I buy the 5 bottle package then price is £28.34 / bottle and so I save £4.78. If however if there is no gratuity included then this would increase the cost to £32.59 virtually the same price as the package, and if the 8% tax is added on top then it goes up to £35.20.

It seems to me that the savings on the packages are not really worth the effort unless you know that you are going to only pick the most expensive ones from the list. (In my view a bit daft to just pick something to "get your money's worth"!). However, I thought I'd check in case I'm missing something.
                Here's a copy of a post I put up on the thread below

http://www.cruises.co.uk/1020-royal_...eleased-2.html

Obviously any savings are enhanced by not having to pay the Spanish VAT

Hi, was checking in today on-line and had a look at the drinks packages. I don't drink that much, probably a couple of beers in the evening, so a package wouldn't be cost efficient. The wife doesn't drink that much either, maybe a couple of glasses of wine. I noticed that they do like 7 or 10 bottles of wine packages. Firstly, can we just order one of these (say 7 bottle) between us and have a bottle per night at dinner, or would we both need to buy 7 bottles each? I'm unsure, as it's not like an all-inc drinks package!

Secondly, for example, the 7 bottle gold wine package is £127 (plus 15%), if pre-booked online, which isn't exhorbitant ... However, is it likely to be cheaper or more expensive ordering on the ship?

Any thoughts/advice would be welcome

Thanks.

i've created a platinum wine package with the current dollar prices on, (from the current wine list I was given in April this year on Splendour). I've done this as i'm going on Splendour later in the summer and am about to order a platinum package for myself.

The cheapest wine on the list is $31 the most expensive is $48

The current wine package prices (today) for the platinum package are

5 bottles = £102.30 ($159)
                7 bottles = £139.50 ($216)
                10 bottles = £189.10 ($293)
                12 bottles = £213.90 ($332)

Using £1 = $1.55

So taking the price for 7 bottles

The cost of 7 of the cheapest wine ($31) is $217, you just win $1

the cost of 7 of the most expensive wine ($48) is $336, a significant win $120

These calculations are before adding on the 15% grats.

I've done the same sums for all the other packages and the sums are very similar, ie choosing the cheapest wine on the list there is very little between the package and ordering at the table from the wine list; choosing the most expensive and there are significant gains to be made. And of course there are gains to be made with a mix and match approach to your choices, the amount of gain will depend on those choices.

Last edited by Pete, Caerphilly; 26th June 2012 at 09:59 PM.

Pete

Pete

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Wilba View Post
                  Why not wait until you board so you can check out the current prices and whether the 8% Spanish Tax is applicable?
                  That's not a bad idea - it's fun with the amount of planning that you can now do with the forum and other internet resources.

Originally posted by ;
                  Here's a copy of a post I put up on the thread below
                  Apologies for taking the easy way out and not searching other threads first. If I had then I would have got the answer (I think)

Originally posted by ;
                  just back from IOTS cruise it was fab! bought the platinum 12 package before sailing and was charged in sterling on my cc with no 15% grats added. it was well worth it, nice choice of wines, eg Kendall Jackson chardonnay is $45 dollars on wine menu. Also you can have it delivered to your room on room service free of charge, which I did a few times so we could enjoy a drink on the balcony.
                  So the 7 bottle diamond package is £188.93.

The 7 most expensive bottles come to $360 (using Pete's wine list) or £240 (at 1.50) which becomes £298.08 after gratuities and Spanish VAT, saving £110. Averaging the first 14 comes to £215 which becomes £267 after gratuities and Spanish VAT, saving £80.

I also hadn't realised that you could get the bottles delivered to your stateroom. I'd thought about buying a couple of bottles as gifts for this purpose but the package works out cheaper.

Having said all that if I wait until we get on board the only disadvantage would be a (possible) strengthening of the US$ and the fact that Spanish VAT could be additional, but then 8% on £188.93 is only £15 so hardly the end of the world.

Thanks for all your help.
                  Last edited by Islander, Quendale; 9th September 2012, 10:30 AM.

Comment

We use cookies to give you the
                  best experience possible.

By continuing to use our website you
                  agree to our cookie policy

Working...
                  X