• Ahoy there! Why not join the UK’s largest cruising forum? The Cruise.co.uk forum is the perfect place to meet and interact with likeminded cruisers to have invaluable conversations. Whether you're a veteran cruiser or looking to set sail on the sea for the first time, everyone is welcome on our forum to participate in the hottest conversations in the cruising world. So, what are you waiting for? Join the forum today by clicking here to register!

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Disappointment with suite

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Disappointment with suite

My husband and I recently had our first Royal Caribbean experience and had decided to have a Grand Suite and enjoy our cruise in style - and comfort. The suite was lovely and big, well furnished with a super bathroom. However, when we stepped out on to the nice big balcony to our horror we noticed a huge overhang from the deck above sticking out. It made our cabin dark a lot of the time and the sun never reached our balcony at any time during our cruise. Standing on the balcony felt like standing in a big hangar or iron shed - it was horrible. We didn't like gazing up at this protrusion, especially the rust and peeling paint. Just wondering is any other cruisers have found this? We have cruised with 2 other lines before this and never had this problem so wouldn't even have thought to ask about it.

Which ship

It would have been good to know which ship you were on, RCI have so many.
    You will also notice that the overhang is one of the aspects of a cruise that many do check out on this site and on others. Sorry if that sounds like a "smart a** comment but it is meant with the best of intentions. ....Neil

Comment

Hi there, only joined this yesterday but now glad to know about it. Appreciate your comments and now I know to check for certain things next time. As I said I've been on 2 other cruise lines and never had the problem, so didn't think to check such a thing. It was Brilliance of the Seas. Still finding my way round this site at the moment.

Thanks again. C.

Comment

You're welcome

Originally posted by Caroline, Newmarket View Post
        Hi there, only joined this yesterday but now glad to know about it. Appreciate your comments and now I know to check for certain things next time. As I said I've been on 2 other cruise lines and never had the problem, so didn't think to check such a thing. It was Brilliance of the Seas. Still finding my way round this site at the moment.

Thanks again. C.
        I am assuming that you have been on other cruises but just in case you haven't here are some of the other things worth thinging about as far as cabins are concerned:
        Some balcony cabins can be looked down at from decks, floor windows, and railed areas above.
        The Cabins beneath the Pool area, and cafeteria areas can be subject to early morning noise as the chairs are moved around.
        The cabins immediately above entertainment areas such as theatres can be noisy at times and annoyingly so in the late evening.
        The cabins overlooking the rear of the ship although well sought after can have large smuts falling on the balconies at times and anything white can be ruined by these and you could have to brush them off chairs before you sit.
        The most forward cabins can suffer from the noise of the anchor chains early in the morning when the ship reaches an area where it is not docked.
        Cabins next to or even close to laundrettes should be avoided because of people talking and making unnecessaary noise early in the morning and late at night. The same can apply to the surgery although there aren't many cabins situated there as a rule.
        There are probably some other spots as well which yourself ot others may like to point out. ....Neil

Comment

This is all extremely useful to know, Neil. I mujst admit it hadn't occured to me that there could be drawbacks to balcony cabins. We have finally booked one for next year after years of inside cabins. From what I can see of it (I have identified the actual cabin on photos) it looks ok. Fingers crossed. What a shame, Caroline, that your Grand Suite experience was spoiled by permanent shade .

Comment

Hi Caroline,
            We book a grand suite each year,each time we have looked at the freedom class ships with RCCL the balcony looks like a budgy cage! That is my reason for not cruising the larger ships. The radiance class ships with RCCL dont have the overhangs. I would have been very upset too. My favorite place on the ship is the aft over looking the waves and sipping champagne. Ohh role on 2nd July! We are sailing on Brilliance of the seas.

Sharry

Comment

Originally posted by Caroline, Newmarket View Post
              My husband and I recently had our first Royal Caribbean experience and had decided to have a Grand Suite and enjoy our cruise in style - and comfort. The suite was lovely and big, well furnished with a super bathroom. However, when we stepped out on to the nice big balcony to our horror we noticed a huge overhang from the deck above sticking out. It made our cabin dark a lot of the time and the sun never reached our balcony at any time during our cruise. Standing on the balcony felt like standing in a big hangar or iron shed - it was horrible. We didn't like gazing up at this protrusion, especially the rust and peeling paint. Just wondering is any other cruisers have found this? We have cruised with 2 other lines before this and never had this problem so wouldn't even have thought to ask about it.

Just returned from a trip on "Explorer" (Voyager Class) where we had a Grand suite which was great. No real overhang and plenty of sunshine on the balcony when it shone. Must say the "Gold Card" privileges were worth having. Particularly the Concierge club and all that free booze as well as the VIP area by the pool, a god send when it was a sea day with a poolside BBQ for lunch. No trailing around to find somewhere to sit. The other privilege of VIP seats for the spectacular Ice Show instead of queing to try and get tickets was fantastic especially as we saw it twice.

There were loads of other freebies and privileges to be had which we certainly made use of. All in all well worth the extra as it was a cruise to celebrate our birthdays which happen just before and just after the cruise
              Last edited by Pete, Caerphilly; 15th June 2010, 09:18 PM.
              Pete

sigpic
              If I can't be SKIING then CRUISING is the next best thing

Comment

Originally posted by Pete, Caerphilly View Post
                Just returned from a trip on "Explorer" (Voyager Class) where we had a Grand suite which was great. No real overhang and plenty of sunshine on the balcony when it shone. Must say the "Gold Card" privileges were worth having. Particularly the Concierge club and all that free booze as well as the VIP area by the pool, a god send when it was a sea day with a poolside BBQ for lunch. No trailing around to find somewhere to sit. The other privilege of VIP seats for the spectacular Ice Show instead of queing to try and get tickets was fantastic especially as we saw it twice.

There were loads of other freebies and privileges to be had which we certainly made use of. All in all well worth the extra as it was a cruise to celebrate our birthdays which happen just before and just after the cruise
                Mmmm ! VIP area by the pool & VIP seats at the Shows in the evening ? So that would be a sort of 'out of bounds' then?

And people go on and on about those who like to travel in 'Cunard Grills' :D

Good for you. You paid for it and so you should enjoy it !

Comment

Originally posted by paul, inkpen View Post
                  Mmmm ! VIP area by the pool & VIP seats at the Shows in the evening ? So that would be a sort of 'out of bounds' then?

And people go on and on about those who like to travel in 'Cunard Grills' :D

Good for you. You paid for it and so you should enjoy it !
                  Here's what you get

Pete

sigpic
                  If I can't be SKIING then CRUISING is the next best thing

Comment

We use cookies to give you the
                  best experience possible.

By continuing to use our website you
                  agree to our cookie policy

Working...
                  X