• Ahoy there! Why not join the UK’s largest cruising forum? The Cruise.co.uk forum is the perfect place to meet and interact with likeminded cruisers to have invaluable conversations. Whether you're a veteran cruiser or looking to set sail on the sea for the first time, everyone is welcome on our forum to participate in the hottest conversations in the cruising world. So, what are you waiting for? Join the forum today by clicking here to register!

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Your view on drinks prices.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hi all
    I can never understand these complaints about filling the glass with ice..
    If I have Vodka and Tonic,,,,,I say one lump of ice,,,I get one lump of ice.Always ask for can of Tonic Light,never let them pour it.
    If I want a Jamesons,,I ask for one lump of ice,in a small glass they usually ask if I want ice,,ask for it in a highball glass you will get ice.

Btw,I can get 5 drinks from one small can of tonic.
    I have a SiL who drinks B +.C,,she fills the glass to the top with Coke,,,,,she can't stand the taste of Bacardi.....der!!

Grey Goose vodka,neat or with a thimble full of tonic,,,,,,Loverly!!! And cheap as chips on P&O
    JC
    Last edited by jc, liverpool; 2nd February 2016, 02:41 PM.
    C P Scott,,,,,"Comment is Free,,but Facts are Sacred"
    "You are entitled to your opinion. But you are not entitled to your own facts.

Comment

Originally posted by jc, liverpool View Post
      Hi all
      I can never understand these complaints about filling the glass with ice..
      If I have Vodka and Tonic,,,,,I say one lump of ice,,,I get one lump of ice.Always ask for can of Tonic Light,never let them pour it.
      If I want a Jamesons,,I ask for one lump of ice,in a small glass they usually ask if I want ice,,ask for it in a highball glass you will get ice.

Btw,I can get 5 drinks from one small can of tonic.
      I have a SiL who drinks B +.C,,she fills the glass to the top with Coke,,,,,should can't stand the taste of

Grey Goose vodka,neat or with a thimble full of tonic,,,,,,Loverly!!! And cheap as chips on P&O
      JC
      Hi JC

Not all cruise lines are the same

NCL will not serve you a can of a mixer as part of the UBP. However if you order separately your spirit, ice and mixer in different glasses - you are all set to go. A lot of glasses on the tables though.

Annie

Comment

Originally posted by annie, Glasgow View Post
        On my last cruise, NCL. they attempted to drown everything in ice. Any spirits I always ordered neat and I ordered a glass of ice. Eventually all my drinking companions did the same.

Annie
        When we owned free-houses ice was the best money maker we had, second was lime added to lager and third draught mixers but ice outstripped them all. .....Neil

Comment

Originally posted by annie, Glasgow View Post
          Hi JC

Not all cruise lines are the same

NCL will not serve you a can of a mixer as part of the UBP. However if you order separately your spirit, ice and mixer in different glasses - you are all set to go. A lot of glasses on the tables though.

Annie
          Hi Annie.
          Poor show by NCL,,,,,,as a diabetic I want to be sure I am getting Diet Tonic,,I can do that with a can or bottle,,,never know with draught.
          Diet Coke is common on draught,,Tonic isn't.
          Many times in the past Bar Managers on Thomson used to buy Diet Tonic ashore just for me,,,,Thomson still don't have Diet tonic on draught,,,but no problem with cans.
          I don't think P&O have draught Diet Tonic,,,they use small cans.Same with Celebrity.
          JC
          C P Scott,,,,,"Comment is Free,,but Facts are Sacred"
          "You are entitled to your opinion. But you are not entitled to your own facts.

Comment

Originally posted by jc, liverpool View Post
            Hi Annie.
            Poor show by NCL,,,,,,as a diabetic I want to be sure I am getting Diet Tonic,,I can do that with a can or bottle,,,never know with draught.
            Diet Coke is common on draught,,Tonic isn't.
            Many times in the past Bar Managers on Thomson used to buy Diet Tonic ashore just for me,,,,Thomson still don't have Diet tonic on draught,,,but no problem with cans.
            I don't think P&O have draught Diet Tonic,,,they use small cans.Same with Celebrity.
            JC
            Hi JC

I think you could buy a can of a mixer - maybe $2 + 18% gratuity + tax. They have to cover the cost of these UBPs which I think had an upper limit of $16 per drink. Their cocktails were truly awful.

One of our drinking group was diabetic but she drink Remy Martin neat most of the time. Thinking about it, none of us used a lot of mixers in our drinks.

Annie

Comment

Anyone got the gratuity figures for bar drinks on p&o?do they charge 15% on top of bar drinks and wine at the table?
              Jim

Comment

Wot!no advice come along folks,

Comment

Originally posted by jimtheoldsalt, felixstowe View Post
                  Wot!no advice come along folks,
                  Jim

I have never sailed P&O but I am sure I have read there is no mandatory gratuity.

Annie

Comment

On P&O what you see is what you pay.

What proportion of the price (if any) is gratuity as opposed to profit is anyone's guess.
                    If you can read this - thank a teacher
                    If you are reading this in English - thank a soldier

Comment

Annie & Steve,many thanks for your replies,just the info i was after,not on the AZURA oil Sept.but best get prepared.We have booked an outside cabin up on the lido deck,first time that we have not had a balcony,
                      jim

Comment

Jim, last week on Britannia we were very surprised at how reasonable the drinks were. The mocktail of the day £1.95, really nice bottles of wine £18 ish. Beers around the £4 mark and comparable to pub prices and no added charge. We took a bottle of gin on board with us as I enjoy the odd one when getting ready to go out but the spirit prices are very reasonable as well...Carol

Comment

MY local is a spoons so our "drinks" prices going out are generally reasonable.
                          Think change from £5 whatever 2 drinks we have.

Did a night out in Oxford,

Drinks on ships and the packages don't seem quite so bad now.

Comment

Jim.. take on board a drink or two; some take a box of wine and a bottle of spirits; put it in your hand luggage. You can also bring back some alcohol from the ports, but they like it to be in moderation. We've had no trouble buying Spanish brandy and Italian limoncello and wines.
                            Jo.

Comment

This has been really useful - I'm off on P and O next month and had questions re: drinks prices and gratuities, all of which appeared to be answered here. Thank you!

Comment

We use cookies to give you the
                              best experience possible.

By continuing to use our website you
                              agree to our cookie policy

Working...
                              X