• Ahoy there! Why not join the UK’s largest cruising forum? The Cruise.co.uk forum is the perfect place to meet and interact with likeminded cruisers to have invaluable conversations. Whether you're a veteran cruiser or looking to set sail on the sea for the first time, everyone is welcome on our forum to participate in the hottest conversations in the cruising world. So, what are you waiting for? Join the forum today by clicking here to register!

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Your view on drinks prices.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Your view on drinks prices.

We recently returned from Cunard QV cruise sailing date 30th November, what we have noticed is a steady increase in drinks prices, as we usually cruise with Cunard twice a year.
    Some may argue that they are no more expensive than city center bars and pubs, however the reason I open this up for debate is what was evident on our last cruise as opposed to previous cruises is that Cunard on a daily basis had happy hour and other reduced drinks prices events.
    We dont mind paying a fair price, and are not even big drinkers, but where will it stop.
    Happy hour is usually introduced to generate customers to their bars which is an indicator that people were more careful than usual, including us I might add.
    Cunard allow people to bring a bottle of wine to drink in the cabin which we take advantage of, but during our cruise there were announcements as people were drinking their own wine on the decks (I dont agree with this as many cruise lines do not allow people to bring drink onboard at all)
    We have mentioned the steady increase in drinks prices to the questionaire at the end of the cruise but still the prices increase.
    In fairness to Cunard with falling cruise fares something has to give but there has to be a balance, it could be more harmful as people will be more reluctant to buy thus affecting profits,
    Alternately charging a reasonable price would surely generate more profit as people would be more willing to purchase.

Interesting.I would agree about price and there being a diminishing point,if drinks were cheaper I'm sure in some cases revenue would increase.However,I think cruise companies see it as an income generator and you are a captive audience.I would argue the same model with cruise ship photos.Increasingly, those who pay for drinks are paying more to offset those with drinks included (not a model on Cunard,I know but becoming more common).
    Another thing I would flag up is why do most lines give discount to loyal passengers in shops onboard but not on drinks?Even 5% would be welcome.
    I also think things like the wine packages are ridiculous, should be more flexibility not everyone wants to drink a bottle a night which most packages seem to assume.For some, that's fine, but offer packages for the more modest drinker too,especially now with the revised alcohol guidelines (which I have no intention of following on holiday!)

Comment

We have quite a 'dry' time on Cunard, making the wine spread over two nights for example and only having one pre dinner drink or cocktail and on a longer cruise I would definitely take something for the cabin.

To me, the prices of the wines for the cheapest housewine are just too high and I do resent the 15% Service charge on everything. Having said that, the pre dinner drinks were beautifully served and came with some very nice nibbles...

We drink a lot more on P&O where the prices are very reasonable - and where we often have some good OBC - and where drinks do not have this commission added on.

Maybe better for our health though, lol??? ;)

Comment

We sail with AI companies so don't have to consider costs on board. The more I read about rising prices, the more reluctant I am to return to PAYG.

Comment

We cruise with Cunard for the odd week or three a year and I haven't noticed any significant increases in the price of wine and although I can't comment on the bar prices as I never look at the bar 'menu' [g&t or 'Tea' for me], no comment on price hikes has been made by my husband.

Comment

I agree PO prices don't seem to rise and are very competitive even the bottles of wine we have at the table they don't deem to rise, Cunard's price is dearer according to my OH, but I still like their Bellini'sCG
            sigpic

Comment

The best bar & wine prices are on P&O although they do seem to be increasing over a matter of months from one cruise to the next. We cruised on the Azura in March and paid 90p for a britvic mixer. Cruised again in October on the Ventura and the prices had increased to £1. Similar increases had also been applied to the wines and cocktails. This may not seem much on a single drink but applied to the revenue taken at the bar over a 2 weeks cruise goes into the thousands. As far as comparing P&O prices to the normal pub prices it all depends what part of the UK you come from.

Comment

P & O give discount on all on board spend (drinks included) under their loyalty programme.
                Originally posted by philhar, wallasey View Post
                Interesting.I would agree about price and there being a diminishing point,if drinks were cheaper I'm sure in some cases revenue would increase.However,I think cruise companies see it as an income generator and you are a captive audience.I would argue the same model with cruise ship photos.Increasingly, those who pay for drinks are paying more to offset those with drinks included (not a model on Cunard,I know but becoming more common).
                Another thing I would flag up is why do most lines give discount to loyal passengers in shops onboard but not on drinks?Even 5% would be welcome.
                I also think things like the wine packages are ridiculous, should be more flexibility not everyone wants to drink a bottle a night which most packages seem to assume.For some, that's fine, but offer packages for the more modest drinker too,especially now with the revised alcohol guidelines (which I have no intention of following on holiday!)

Comment

Over the last few years almost all the cruises we have taken have been either AI or Celebrity with a drinks package included in the overall price (they are never free, just part of the fare).

I dont like reviewing a bill and seeing lots of charges for soft drinks, bottles of water, coffee etc as well as a few glasses of wine, so we will stick with these options

Comment

P&O drinks prices are far more reasonable than Cunards and don't carry the 15% service charge. The drinks are the same, the service is the same and in fact there is very little difference in the overall cruise experience, apart fom the higher prices charged for Cunard!

Comment

Originally posted by Babs , Hodd. View Post
                      P & O give discount on all on board spend (drinks included) under their loyalty programme.
                      Good point well made.Most lines only do discount in the shops for loyal passengers.I last went on P&O in 2012 and that was the year they changed the scheme,I think, only got discount in the shop

Comment

I find the prices on most of the American ships a little steep, however I believe the prices on P & O, FO, Cunard, Thomson, etc, (ie, those lines catering more to the British market) to be reasonable.
                        Cruising my way through life!

Sue

Comment

Originally posted by Babs , Hodd. View Post
                          Not all Babs. You don't get discount on your OBC. So if you only manage to spend your OBC then the discount does not apply.

Comment

I wonder how long before everyone goes for the drink packages. The bar staff on an NCL cruise we did recently said it was easier for them as they didn't have to print out 2 receipts and get one signed. Also it was less hassle at guest services. NCL & RCI seem to be heading that way,RCI recently put drink prices up by 40% & have started offering their basic package in the cruise price with the oppportunity to upgrade once on ship.
                            Easier for staff, less staff required.
                            All on packages, start charging for special drinks.
                            I can see where this is all heading.

Comment

NCL have a very expensive all drinks package, that keeps on getting increased by them. The ultimate being $69 pp per day, plus 15% service unless pre bought.

Comment

We use cookies to give you the
                              best experience possible.

By continuing to use our website you
                              agree to our cookie policy

Working...
                              X