• Ahoy there! Why not join the UK’s largest cruising forum? The Cruise.co.uk forum is the perfect place to meet and interact with likeminded cruisers to have invaluable conversations. Whether you're a veteran cruiser or looking to set sail on the sea for the first time, everyone is welcome on our forum to participate in the hottest conversations in the cruising world. So, what are you waiting for? Join the forum today by clicking here to register!

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Drink Packages- Are They Good Or Bad?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Drink Packages- Are They Good Or Bad?

Hi I was just reading a few opinions on the availability of “free” all inclusive drink packages. I got the impression that many seasoned travellers see them as a bad thing on the 3 or 4 star lines, they assume it will “lower” the tone of the ship with people drinking to excess and creating a rowdy environment. However, many others sailing on the 5 or 6 star lines think these packages are for the better. Do you think that the more a person is willing to spend on the initial boarding fare, the more unlikely they are to “misuse” alcoholic beverages?
    Last edited by JOHN B SLOOP, Newcastle-upon-Tyne; 21st December 2012, 02:16 PM.

Originally posted by JOHN B SLOOP, Newcastle-upon-Tyne View Post
    Hi I was just reading a few opinions on the availability of “free” all inclusive drink packages. I got the impression that many seasoned travellers see them as a bad thing on the 3 or 4 star lines, they assume it will “lower” the tone of the ship with people drinking to excess and creating a rowdy environment. However, many others sailing on the 5 or 6 star lines think these packages are for the better. Do you think that the more a person is willing to spend on the initial boarding fare, the more unlikely they are not “misuse” alcoholic beverages?
    Hi John
    I think you have that the wrong way round.
    I have not heard many complaints on here from those who sail on the 3/4* lines,that do offer A/I packages.
    The complaints seem to come from those who sail on 5/6* lines,who may now offer A/I packages.

I don't think 'spend' comes into it,,,the richest can 'misuse' alcohol,just the same as the poorest.
    JC
    C P Scott,,,,,"Comment is Free,,but Facts are Sacred"
    "You are entitled to your opinion. But you are not entitled to your own facts.

Comment

If you like a "good drink" without worrying about the costs they are ok, in my opinion.
      Have been lucky enough to have been on 2 Thomson cruises with an A.I. for booking early.
      On both ships I never witnessed any "rowdiness" and for us they were well worth it when I totted up what it would have cost us.

On Thomson again next Summer and we have the A.I.

Different strokes for different folks I suppose.

Comment

Originally posted by jc, liverpool View Post

I don't think 'spend' comes into it,,,the richest can 'misuse' alcohol,just the same as the poorest.
        JC
        Quite right JC, even "posh folk" can be "p*ss heads".

Comment

Originally posted by jc, liverpool View Post
          Hi John
          I think you have that the wrong way round.
          I have not heard many complaints on here from those who sail on the 3/4* lines,that do offer A/I packages.
          The complaints seem to come from those who sail on 5/6* lines,who may now offer A/I packages.

JC
          Hi It may be my more critical ratings of the cruise lines which has led to the confusion and I will try to rectify the situation. A few people expressed doubts about the all inclusive offer on Celebrity which I now rate as only 3.5 star (maybe I would have given it 4 star rating in the past). Azamara I rate as a 4.5 star line and many of the passengers on my last cruise on this line in November were pleased it was becoming "all inclusive" they thought it would move it up almost into the luxury end of the cruise market and many passengers on Crystal welcomed it's move to an all inclusive status, it being the only line in the 5 star plus rating not to include alcoholic beverages in the boarding fare.
          Last edited by JOHN B SLOOP, Newcastle-upon-Tyne; 21st December 2012, 02:52 PM.

Comment

We noticed that a lot of fellow passengers (including ourselves) took the drinks packages on our most recent cruise on Royal Caribbean and we did not see anybody misbehave because of it. However, on a Ventura cruise last year, when no packages were available and drinks were relatively cheap, we saw a lot of drunken and unpleasant behaviour. I personally don't think the price of drinks or packages has any influence on people's behaviour and they will get drunk and obnoxious if that's what they want to do.

Comment

I don't have a lot of experience of all-inclusive. The last time I stayed in an AI hotel, I did see people drinking a lot, but there was no rowdy behaviour.
              2018-
              Queen Victoria - Mediterranean Explorer

2019 -
              NCL Getaway - Norway and Iceland
              Adventure of the Seas - Fall Foliage

2020 -
              Jewel of the Seas - Abu Dhabi & Dubai
              Magellan - Panama Canal

Comment

Drinks packages are good because you can budget for your cruise better and there shouldn't be any last minute shocks when you get your ship bill. As for change of behaviour on an all-inclusive ship I have not witnessed any myself but I must admit when I went on my very first cruise (many moons ago) I went with Thomson Cruises and they had two ships at the time one was AI and the other not, for peace of mind (as it was my first time) I chose the non AI ship and had a great time. Mind you probably would have been OK on the other as well.

Comment

bad from a value point of view!

In reality, I bet few people who buy a drinks package are actually in profit by the end of the cruise. Even breaking even would be quite an achievement for most.

Originally posted by trevor432990, East Sussex View Post
                  Drinks packages are good because you can budget for your cruise better...
                  Trevor, I am capable of budgeting without buying a drinks package!
                  See my cruise blog: HERE

Comment

I think you need to differenciate between the cruise lines that are automatically A/I such as Azamara, Seabourn, Silverseas, Regent Seven Seas etc against those that offer an A/I package as an extra. Those that travel with the companies mentioned accept that 'Drink' is just part of the package. Those that purchase an A/I package usually do so as they find it better value due to the amount they drink. I have never seen any rowdyism due to drink, however, over the reservation of sunbeds, thats a different story!!
                    Last edited by Fossil1, London; 21st December 2012, 03:47 PM. Reason: spelling
                    Fossil1

Comment

Sorry Malcolm but I disagree, on my last MSC cruise I saved £120 over the 11 nights trip by purchasing my drinks package but much depends on the drinks costs + %gratuities added by the cruise line. Glad you can budget, and so can I, but it is easier when you don't have to worry about this aspect of expenditure.

Comment

Originally posted by JOHN B SLOOP, Newcastle-upon-Tyne View Post
                        Hi It may be my more critical ratings of the cruise lines which has led to the confusion and I will try to rectify the situation. A few people expressed doubts about the all inclusive offer on Celebrity which I now rate as only 3.5 star (maybe I would have given it 4 star rating in the past). Azamara I rate as a 4.5 star line and many of the passengers on my last cruise on this line in November were pleased it was becoming "all inclusive" they thought it would move it up almost into the luxury end of the cruise market and many passengers on Crystal welcomed it's move to an all inclusive status, it being the only line in the 5 star plus rating not to include alcoholic beverages in the boarding fare.
                        Thanks John
                        JC

Comment

Originally posted by Fossil1, London View Post
                          I think you need to differentiate between the cruise lines that are automatically A/I such as Azamara, Seabourn, Silver Seas, Regent Seven Seas etc against those that offer an A/I package as an extra. Those that travel with the companies mentioned accept that 'Drink' is just part of the package. Those that purchase an A/I package usually do so as they find it better value due to the amount they drink. I have never seen any rowdyism due to drink, however, over the reservation of sunbeds, that's a different story!!
                          Hi Fossil
                          And that really is the nub of it,,,,Choice!!
                          On my Thomson cruises i have heard people say,who got it free "I wouldn't get the benefit if i payed for it"
                          I have also heard people who never had it say "I wish i had bought the A/I".

I always get A/I,either free,discounted or full price.
                          8 drinks a day are nothing,if you include speciality coffee,cans of Coke etc.

Its the way the travel industry is going,,,people want all inclusive packages.
                          They are answering their customers demands.

I don't book A/I on land holidays,because usually you get the local cheapest undrinkable lager and spirits,and you stick in the hotel to get your moneys worth,and miss out on the local night life (Bars not Disco clubs).
                          But on a ship,,,well,you are on a ship,,,no local bars!!!

I can't understand why people would object,if it was optional as a supplement.
                          JC

Comment

Having a cruise which is all inclusive as part of the overall package is fine but using it to promote a cheap package ? is sending out the wrong message.What is wrong in reducing the headline price and giving people the choice.Celebrity are promoting their Southampton cruises next year with their Classic Alcohol package included.The headline price has increased so what about those many passenges who would not drink much or indeed not drink at all that would seem to penalise them.

Comment

I am not really a drinker if I have 10 drinks a year that is about my lot and my wife does not drink at all. I really don't mind if people drink or don't drink as long as they are friendly. There is a minority as with most things were some people go to excess and are nasty with it, I stepped in once on RCI when someone worse for wear was abusive to a gent who must have been in his seventies.

The packages that some line offer seem to be good value, that is unless you add everything up and are determined to be in profit by drinking heavily every second of the day rather than enjoy your holiday.

I personally find cruising one of the cheapest holiday's around because of what is already included, however not sure i'd say the same if I had to contend with a heafty bar billeach time.

Comment

We use cookies to give you the
                              best experience possible.

By continuing to use our website you
                              agree to our cookie policy

Working...
                              X