• Ahoy there! Why not join the UK’s largest cruising forum? The Cruise.co.uk forum is the perfect place to meet and interact with likeminded cruisers to have invaluable conversations. Whether you're a veteran cruiser or looking to set sail on the sea for the first time, everyone is welcome on our forum to participate in the hottest conversations in the cruising world. So, what are you waiting for? Join the forum today by clicking here to register!

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

NCL's drinks menu!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Quote : I think one starts to genuinely wonder just how little the crew are paid, when the gratuities are increased both daily and then as a percentage of drinks value. Almost like saying they are working on commission only? I don't want to sound negative but the 'extras' are starting to consume planning budgets and intrude on what should be a relaxed total event.]

Although this forum is about drinks prices the extras do have a call on your wallet.
    I have posted on this subject on many previous occasions and there is nothing yet that I have seen that will make me change my mind.
    [ Downturn? What downturn? Cruise giant Carnival posts a $1.8 billion profit for year ]
    This is a recent headline, which confirms what I have said for years, that cruise staff could be better paid by their cruise line employers, although in my view they are paid better than many people realize,
    The cruise companies are using their passengers to subsidise the ships wages bill, and as far as I am concerned gratuities should not be pre-paid before having received the service, they are in fact, for service over and above the norm!
    Gratuities should be given at the end of the cruise in the envelopes provided, to all who you consider worthy.
    Although I can see that pre paying gratuities is a stress free way out for people who find that verbally thanking your waiter or steward, and shaking them by the hand while giving them an envelope embarrassing, although I myself can not see anything embarrassing in personally thanking the staff that have looked after you during your cruise and with whom you have also probably become friendly.
    In my view the more gratuities are pre paid the easier it is for the cruise companies to keep upping them by a few percent each year, its big business and passengers are subsidising it, in extras paid over and above the quoted cruise price.

Comment

Originally posted by PropShaft, Colne View Post
      Hi Tex, The more expensive Canadian Club is the Classic, which while usually being the same strength as the regular Canadian Club, it will probably be 5 - 6 or even ten years older than the regular, and therefore considered more smooth, and due a little extra premium.
      They usually call it whiskey with an e' as many of the firey pretenders are called whiskey, although in my view the only true whisky or (scoch) comes from Scotland.
      Hi
      The Irish say the true whiskey comes from Ireland.
      My favourite is Jamesons (smooth,,,)
      JC
      C P Scott,,,,,"Comment is Free,,but Facts are Sacred"
      "You are entitled to your opinion. But you are not entitled to your own facts.

Comment

These menus are in the process of being replaced, but will be done as they wear out so as not to needlessly waste paper. I can confirm that the standard gratuity automatically added to drinks bills is 15%.

Comment

Originally posted by NCLInsider, UK View Post
          These menus are in the process of being replaced, but will be done as they wear out so as not to needlessly waste paper. I can confirm that the standard gratuity automatically added to drinks bills is 15%.
          THANK YOU FOR THAT! At last an answer to this question. This makes a big difference to my (petty) feelings-
          Jo.
          Jo.

Comment

15% is normal for most cruise lines, unless you are on Azamara which is 18%

I might point out that some waiter service is not worth the mandatory 15% gratuity being quite poor, but it is added non the less.

Comment

....reach for can, pull ring, pour into glass and shove across bar, total time 39 secs?
              Jo.
              Jo.

Comment

39 secs, if it were always so Jo, in my experience its > take order, > walk round lounge and take more orders > give orders to bar staff > go and take more orders > fill tray from bar and deliver orders as last taken first served > a 10 min wait is more the norm and even longer in the theatre.
                Also if you walk up to the empty bar and request your drinks the staff tell you to sit down to be served, and as the staff have no idea that at home we buy and drink measured pints, they just serve a glass of beer, that is far to cold for English beer, and which is usually presented with a big collar, ( in effect a price rise ) and so we are short changed again :mad:
                And for such prompt service a 15% charge is added to the bill

Comment

Thank you for the drinks menu but do they do a wine package and what is included in that please.

Comment

Hmmm- PropShaft- I see your point!
                    I'm thinking about the times I wandered into the Great Outdoors after a stroll round e.g. Civi, with no-one else on board because of the mad Rome dash, leant on the bar and requested a lager.....yes, that one there'll do nicely, thanks, and hardly settled on both feet before it was poured and shoved across.
                    I don't really care, 'cos I like NCL very much, and am willing to put up with the quirks for the freestyle.
                    Jo.
                    Jo.

Comment

We use cookies to give you the
                    best experience possible.

By continuing to use our website you
                    agree to our cookie policy

Working...
                    X