• Ahoy there! Why not join the UK’s largest cruising forum? The Cruise.co.uk forum is the perfect place to meet and interact with likeminded cruisers to have invaluable conversations. Whether you're a veteran cruiser or looking to set sail on the sea for the first time, everyone is welcome on our forum to participate in the hottest conversations in the cruising world. So, what are you waiting for? Join the forum today by clicking here to register!

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

NCL's drinks menu!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Did anyone notice not 15% but 17% will be added on these lists?
    Michael

Comment

That's for waiter service. Makes me want a Dark 'n Stormy....

Comment

Originally posted by Michael F, London, UK View Post
        Did anyone notice not 15% but 17% will be added on these lists?
        Michael
        As gratuities went up from $10 to $12 on Jan 1st this year, if tips on a can of coke across the bar have really gone up by 2%, then that's 2 rises this year. After having had a recent P&O trip with few complaints, it's things like that which make me wonder about the wisdom of my 3rd NCL cruise, next year. It may be cheap to begin with, but annoying when things like this creep in.- IRRITATING, in fact!- Jo.
        Jo.

Comment

I think one starts to genuinely wonder just how little the crew are paid, when the gratuities are increased both daily and then as a percentage of drinks value. Almost like saying they are working on commision only? I don't want to sound negative but the 'extras' are starting to consume planning budgets and intrude on what should be a relaxed total event.
          Michael

Comment

Michael- I'm sure that they do work on commision only- but that's for management to sort out, not us.
            We've had to have a serious discussion at home about the irritation we feel over these back door increases. Normally we budget into our US ships the gratuities and tips, and count it in as the over all cost. Why this final 2% is causing so much grief to us, I'm not sure.......Being taken for a ride, perhaps, or being taken for fools?
            We've the perfect cruise of 7 days from Venice to some of our favourite Greek Islands booked on Gem next year, at a very low, Latitudes price: our own flights; gratuities paid up front. We like the ships, we like the line and the freedom, and are looking forward to it. It's just....irritating!
            Perhaps that now NCL is a junior member on this site, they may be able to explain.- Jo.
            Jo.

Comment

NCL bar staff are paid comission only so it is in their interests to sell a drink to you. I rarely drink alcohol, the odd one maybe 5 or 6 times a year but I do drink diet coke, a lot of diet coke, maybe 3 or 4 cans a day when on holiday. I will order a drink on deck and pay the extra but I also take 24 cans on board with us too and keep them in my room. Great for when I am thirsty after an excusion or for sipping on my balcony watching the scenery pass. Having said that I find the prices very little more than I last paid in a pub, another place I rarely visit since the smoking ban!

It was 15% when I cruised Alaska in the summer of this year. Is this a recent increase?

Comment

Jo.

Comment

Comment

I start to wonder if we are all missing the point here including myself....
                    All staff on a cruise should be getting paid! Gratuities are that, a kind of bonus payment to say 'tahnk you' rather than 'we will add it'. The problem lies with, if you think service is not as you expected and you don't agree, you can expect some kind of 'attitude' and if the crew detect it before you leave you will feel uneasy.
                    I want to go on a cruise and think that at the end I'm being dealt with fairly. I want to know all charges (and as the UK government) including stealth taxes I'm going to pay before I sail. I really do not want to be in a situation where I'm hard sold items I really do not want. I also want to relax and actually enjoy what I have paid for.
                    These days it appears that ship operators are after one thing and that's cash - okay they are commercial operators. However I feel many are on the 'extract everything we can' trail and I dislike that plus it's so unfair. You increase profit normally on increased sales and that means at the base level. When operators start to increase prices for the fact their business is failing is not my concern. Having said that I do not expect to be the one on the receiving end of it.
                    Michael

Comment

Jo.

Comment

I asked a recent reviewer on the site if tips were 17%, and he said yes.
                        Not a happy bunny with 2 rises this year.
                        Still weighing up what to do.
                        What's the reasoning behind it, NCL UK Junior Member?
                        Jo.
                        Jo.

Comment

Well you know what the man says to 'Harrison' on the advert. In fact they have some great adverts ... as I look at my reading glasses and think of A man called 'Duckworth' on 'Corrie' - (yes) complete with tape! LOL

Michael

Comment

Originally posted by Cruise Addict, Wolverhampton View Post
                            The drinks menu on NCL ships - smoothies, shots, wines, beers, martinis and more!
                            On page 6 Canadian Club is quoted twice with 2 different prices, I wonder what one they use, or is the cheaper one the ordinary CC and the dearer one 100% proof which can be bought and I would probably say is similar to malt whisky(not that I drink whisky!!) a lot smoother. Does anyone know?

Comment

Hi Tex, The more expensive Canadian Club is the Classic, which while usually being the same strength as the regular Canadian Club, it will probably be 5 - 6 or even ten years older than the regular, and therefore considered more smooth, and due a little extra premium.
                              They usually call it whiskey with an e' as many of the firey pretenders are called whiskey, although in my view the only true whisky or (scoch) comes from Scotland.

Comment

We use cookies to give you the
                              best experience possible.

By continuing to use our website you
                              agree to our cookie policy

Working...
                              X