• Ahoy there! Why not join the UK’s largest cruising forum? The Cruise.co.uk forum is the perfect place to meet and interact with likeminded cruisers to have invaluable conversations. Whether you're a veteran cruiser or looking to set sail on the sea for the first time, everyone is welcome on our forum to participate in the hottest conversations in the cruising world. So, what are you waiting for? Join the forum today by clicking here to register!

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

RC Independence of the Seas: Med Treasures Cruise 14th August 2012

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

RC Independence of the Seas: Med Treasures Cruise 14th August 2012

Hi,
    We are going on the above cruise to celebrate jointly ;-our 25th Wedding Anniversary, our eldest son's 21st and our youngest son's 18th birthday, which all occur within 4 weeks of each other!!
    It's our first time 'cruising' and would really welcome any advice or any contact from anyone else going on this particular cruise. We were so excited once we had booked, but after reading somewhat mixed reviews, I am beginning to worry and hope we have 'done the right thing to celebrate all of the above!' Hence having read negative comments such as;- RC being 'a money making machine', very expensive shore excursions,tender/shuttle prices, prices of drinks/drink packages etc- we are feeling slightly uneasy at the moment!! I know cruising isn't a cheap holiday and expect to spend, however this cruise has cost 'a small fortune' already, so I am slightly apprehensive!!
    Would welcome any feedback-thanks

Dont worry, you will have fantastic time, and theres plenty to do for all ages. From rock climbing, flowrider, crazy golf, to ice skating and ballroom dancing. All those things are free to do. The only thing we found a litte expensive was the alcohol, but only because in england its so cheap.but a two pint can of fosters was $7 ,we had one can and to glasses a night, we dont drink much! We spent far far less thn we ever thought, infact we spent so little, when we cme home we booked another.the excursions are a litte expensive, we didnt do any, not because of the cost, just we were happy to go and explore by our selves. One thing i would recommend to make it special, for your celebrations , is to book a meal at 'chops' on board, its a $30 extra charge per person, but it was fantastic, a really special time, well worth it. Youll have a great time.Dont forget, its your holiday, spend as much or as little as you want. The foods paid for, the entertainments paid for. Non alcoholic drinks paid for. Saunas, steam rooms, gym, swimming, golf, rock climbing, flowrider, running track, hot tubs, shows, clubs, cinema, paid for. So theres plenty to do before you need to worry about paying for anything. Have you prepaid tips?
    Last edited by dazzer68, braunton; 17th April 2012, 08:35 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by angieb, walsall View Post
      Hi,
      We are going on the above cruise to celebrate jointly ;-our 25th Wedding Anniversary, our eldest son's 21st and our youngest son's 18th birthday, which all occur within 4 weeks of each other!!
      It's our first time 'cruising' and would really welcome any advice or any contact from anyone else going on this particular cruise. We were so excited once we had booked, but after reading somewhat mixed reviews, I am beginning to worry and hope we have 'done the right thing to celebrate all of the above!' Hence having read negative comments such as;- RC being 'a money making machine', very expensive shore excursions,tender/shuttle prices, prices of drinks/drink packages etc- we are feeling slightly uneasy at the moment!! I know cruising isn't a cheap holiday and expect to spend, however this cruise has cost 'a small fortune' already, so I am slightly apprehensive!!
      Would welcome any feedback-thanks
      Hi, cruising has never been cheaper, so don't believe all the hype.

Excursions have always been overpriced on all cruise lines since cruising began, but taxis and tour operators are eagerly awaiting at every port.

There are no tender charges and shuttle charges around $5 or $6 per person, should you need them, there are often alternatives.

Drink prices by the glass are double the measure you are used to in a pub or bar and the packages work well if you drink 'a lot'.

If cruising was the 'rip off' the minority would have you believe, it would not be the worlds number one holiday destination it now proclaims..........Wilba
      Wilba

Comment

Originally posted by angieb, walsall View Post
        RC being 'a money making machine', very expensive shore excursions,tender/shuttle prices, prices of drinks/drink packages etc- we are feeling slightly uneasy at the moment!!
        Cruising is generally excellent value. Book 4-5 star hotel and all you will get is a room and maybe an included breakfast, if you are lucky. On a cruise you get unlimited food, your accommodation, free entertainment and travel to interesting places. A maid or steward will even visit your room twice a day.

Yes, all the major cruise lines (and minor ones) are "money making" machines. They need to pay for their multi-billion dollar ships. All lines have a whole host of extras that you can buy. However in all cases you DO NOT have to spend too much extra. If you gamble heavenly, drink like a fish, frequent the Spa regularly, hit the on-board shops and book all of the excursions, you will need a second mortgage. However, if you do stuff in moderation, you will be fine.

For example, if you enjoy the main dining room food, there is no need to pay for the alternative options!

Do some research into which ports are best suited for excursions and which can be explored on foot or by bus/train/tram/taxi. Using the local transport can save you a small fortune. You may find that there is more to see and do on the ship than in some of the ports?

Don't miss the production shows (song and dance) and the ice show (not just for kids). They are excellent and free.
        Last edited by Malcolm, Essex; 17th April 2012, 09:06 PM.
        See my cruise blog: HERE

Comment

one good point its very safe, we were in a force 11 storm one k per hour below force 12, there was one bit where it tilted then tilted again before righting itself but the ship was rock solid in the storm.
          the shuttle prices were either free or cheap, did not do the trips these seemed very expensive, service and rooms first class,room service free too. our first cruise with another company was dreadful but RCL was generly good will go again at some stage with them. [there was loads of stuff there for kids so if you want a kid riot free time avoid school holidays]...enojoy your cruise david

Comment

We did the med treasures last year and had a fantastic time, take no notice of bad reviews as you will enjoy yourselve`s im sure, As has been said the drinks prices are a little expensive but if you take into account of all the free entertainment and lovely food and the fantastic shows its a cheap holiday that you will never forget, make sure you book chops grill for a restaurant experiance you won`t forget! Enjoy...

Comment

You have nothing to worry about, I have just returned from a cruise round the canaries on this ship, and you will be amazed, the ship is stunning, and everything about it is quality, enjoy every minute of it I did, and now cant wait to go on another cruise, as for the drink prices, I bought the drink package and reckon i was about break even with it, I drink Bacardi and coke which is $6.25, my friends drank southern comfort and lemonade which was $6.50, the cocktails range from $6-10,, if you want to know anything else just ask me..have a great cruise

Comment

Hi dazzer68, braunton,
                Many thanks for your reply! Sorry for the delay (had internet problems this end!!)Very informative-thank you. We have prepaid our tips, just gathering as much information about the cruise as we can so we can really enjoy it without worrying about money!!.
                Originally posted by dazzer68, braunton View Post
                Dont worry, you will have fantastic time, and theres plenty to do for all ages. From rock climbing, flowrider, crazy golf, to ice skating and ballroom dancing. All those things are free to do. The only thing we found a litte expensive was the alcohol, but only because in england its so cheap.but a two pint can of fosters was $7 ,we had one can and to glasses a night, we dont drink much! We spent far far less thn we ever thought, infact we spent so little, when we cme home we booked another.the excursions are a litte expensive, we didnt do any, not because of the cost, just we were happy to go and explore by our selves. One thing i would recommend to make it special, for your celebrations , is to book a meal at 'chops' on board, its a $30 extra charge per person, but it was fantastic, a really special time, well worth it. Youll have a great time.Dont forget, its your holiday, spend as much or as little as you want. The foods paid for, the entertainments paid for. Non alcoholic drinks paid for. Saunas, steam rooms, gym, swimming, golf, rock climbing, flowrider, running track, hot tubs, shows, clubs, cinema, paid for. So theres plenty to do before you need to worry about paying for anything. Have you prepaid tips?

Comment

Hi dazzer68, braunton,
                  Many thanks for your reply! Sorry for the delay (had internet problems this end!!)Very informative-thank you. We have prepaid our tips, just gathering as much information about the cruise as we can so we can really enjoy it without worrying about money!!.

Comment

Hi Wilba,

Many thanks for your reply! Sorry for the delay (had internet problems this end!!)Very informative-thank you. We are just gathering as much information about the cruise as we can so we can really enjoy it without worrying about money!!. Thanks

Comment

Hi Malcolm,
                      Many thanks for your reply! Sorry for the delay (had internet problems this end!!)Very informative-thank you. Just gathering as much information about the cruise as we can so we can really enjoy it without worrying about money!! We aren't heavy drinkers (our sons may disagree, they like a drink or two!) and we don't gamble, but will probably have a 'flutter' just for the experience. Just planning our excusions now and would appreciate any advice on these. Many thanks

Comment

Hi David,

Many thanks for your reply! Sorry for the delay (had internet problems this end!!). We are just gathering as much information about the cruise as we can so we can really enjoy it without worrying about money!! Thanks again

Comment

Hi Richard,
                          Many thanks for your reply! Sorry for the delay (had internet problems this end!!)Very informative-thank you. We are just gathering as much information about the cruise as we can so we can really enjoy it without worrying about money!! Just researching shore excusions now! I'm not so worried, we aren't heavy drinkers so we wont be buying the drinks packages and we have set aside a budget for our drinks! Beginning to feel excited!!

Comment

Hi Bruce,

Many thanks for your reply! Sorry for the delay (had internet problems this end!!)Very informative-thank you. We are just gathering as much information about the cruise as we can so we can really enjoy it without worrying about money!! Don't think we will be purchasing the drinks packages-4 adults! Too expensive! But we have set aside a budget for our drinks and I'm going to limit the lads sea pass account (not to be mean-just sensible). Just researching shore excusions now! many thanks

Comment

We use cookies to give you the
                            best experience possible.

By continuing to use our website you
                            agree to our cookie policy

Working...
                            X