• Ahoy there! Why not join the UK’s largest cruising forum? The Cruise.co.uk forum is the perfect place to meet and interact with likeminded cruisers to have invaluable conversations. Whether you're a veteran cruiser or looking to set sail on the sea for the first time, everyone is welcome on our forum to participate in the hottest conversations in the cruising world. So, what are you waiting for? Join the forum today by clicking here to register!

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What to do on a cruise?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by carol, welwyn garden city View Post
    When I first started cruising, I went to a couple of the talks, then at the end you realise, that they weren't really trying to help you at all, they just wanted you to sign up to things which cost a lot of money. People must do, or they wouldn't bother with the talks!

I've had a couple of massages, which have been lovely, but they always end with a push to get you to buy products!...............Carol

I agree Carol. The worst talks are the ones about the ports of call. All they want to do is sell you excursions.

Comment

When my Husband and I first started cruising we went to the Walk in Comfort with good feet - think it was sold as people with back problems would find it helpful. As we both suffer with back problems now and then, we went and gave it a try - what a con!

They were trying to sell you inner soles for your shoes to get you to walk differently, supposedly to help your back, but it took about an hour of hard sell, before the punch line...

Now we avoid all that sort of thing, like the plague. I usually go to the Port talks, even if they are trying to sell excursions as it sometimes throws up some useful info, but sometimes the speaker gives such wrong information, you have to wonder. Google is usually more helpful.

Comment

Islandgirl

That was my very point!

I am led to understand that Biomechanics is an extremely complex discipline which involves a lot more than just fallen arches. I very much doubt if any of these "experts" have their Post Grad Degrees or qualifications.

Comment

Originally posted by BigMac, Glasgow View Post
          Islandgirl

That was my very point!

I am led to understand that Biomechanics is an extremely complex discipline which involves a lot more than just fallen arches. I very much doubt if any of these "experts" have their Post Grad Degrees or qualifications.
          Having had a year of APOS Therapy, I totally agree with you. There is no way I would expect spa staff to have the level of medical knowledge required to give a true biomechanical assessment, never mind orthotics/treatment etc.

Comment

I know an anti-aging liquid that REALLY WORKS!

If I drink enough beer all women look younger!

However in the morning I feel older.
            See my cruise blog: HERE

Comment

I have been to some very good port talks, although I rarely book ship excursions.

Cunard wanted 95$ for an excursion to the Rijksmuseum, the main difference was a guided tour. I bought a ticket at the terminal for 17.50 euro and got the tram for 5.60 euro. I didn't do a guided tour, just wandered around on my own, but I doubt if I had booked one that it would all have cost anything like 95$.

Originally posted by Little Red Rouster, Lancaster View Post
              I agree Carol. The worst talks are the ones about the ports of call. All they want to do is sell you excursions.
              2018-
              Queen Victoria - Mediterranean Explorer

2019 -
              NCL Getaway - Norway and Iceland
              Adventure of the Seas - Fall Foliage

2020 -
              Jewel of the Seas - Abu Dhabi & Dubai
              Magellan - Panama Canal

Comment

I went to one of the 10 years younger seminars. It turned out to be for Botox. We were sailing across a rather choppy Bay of Biscay at the time. The thought of the needle slipping into the wrong place didn't seem to deter some people from signing up. I really don't think a cruise ship is a suitable place for medical procedures. What money making scheme will they come up with next, maybe whip your gall bladder out, or a new hip on a longer cruise.

Comment

Like other members you go to these sales pitches when you are a new cruiser then after that you avoid them like the plague. We enjoy the guest lecturers, trivia and art/craft classes (if available). On our last cruise, Harmony TA, our very active roll call group organise lots of activities for members and all run by the members (I gave beading classes). There was so much to do that we couldn't do it all and had some serious pruning to do. Best activity was the Scavenger Hunt - never had so much fun!
                  Cheers Drew and Linda

Comment

I was reading quietly in Le Club on Oceana when some of the spa girls came in and began to move the chairs around. I didn't move and they just carried on, and then found myself caught in a pamper party! I moved quickly to the side but was quite surprised to see so many ladies turn up. They seemed to be having fun, and one lucky lady had her hair styled. I don't know how many signed up to treatments though.

Comment

My OH and my friends wife went to a make-up seminar on the Reflection a couple of years ago. The girl who was conducting the demonstration picked out 6 'volunteers' for the demonstration. My OH and her friend were included. The first woman chosen had the snuffles. Two days later my OH and all the other women who had taken part in the demo broke out with colds. It turned out that the girl who'd conducted the demo had used the same makeup brush on all the ladies. Any professional makeup artist who's worth their salt would know that's a big no no! She'd just spread the virus. It makes you wonder about their qualifications.
                      Our cruising days are over now.................

Comment

We use cookies to give you the
                      best experience possible.

By continuing to use our website you
                      agree to our cookie policy

Working...
                      X