• Ahoy there! Why not join the UK’s largest cruising forum? The Cruise.co.uk forum is the perfect place to meet and interact with likeminded cruisers to have invaluable conversations. Whether you're a veteran cruiser or looking to set sail on the sea for the first time, everyone is welcome on our forum to participate in the hottest conversations in the cruising world. So, what are you waiting for? Join the forum today by clicking here to register!

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

where have the mini fridges gone?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

where have the mini fridges gone?

Thomson Spirit and Marco Polo seem to have done away with the mini fridges in staterooms.

Spirit only had non-alcoholic drinks on top of the drawer.I had eyedrops which were supposed to be kept in a fridge. At Reception, we were told the only fridge on board was in reception,and we could leave them there and i would have to go down every night before bedtime to use them. The other option was that our ice bucket would be filled twice daily, but the cubes melted very quickly,and by the end of the week, the drops would not drip from the bottle. When we transferred to our hotel for the following week, there was a pharmacy opposite,and when i showed my prescription, the lady produced the identical item, adding that they did not have to be stored in a fridge,like the ones we have in the UK. The price used to be 31 Euros, but had recently been reduced to 11 Euros. (The drops are to keep the level of eye pressure at a low level.)

We have recently found out that Marco Polo offers the possibility of storing medications in their Medical Centre, so it seems they too have removed the fridges.

Does anyone know why this might be?

(The drops are to keep the level of eye pressure at a low level.)
    Depends what causes your hypertension and what you are using.

I started on Lumigan(Bimatoprost) then moved over to Xalatan(latanoprost) neither needed to be refrigerated during the use period.

I also changed to single dose rather than the multi use bottle which made storage and safety from contamination much easier..

I had high IOP and got my drop issues solved by having SLT(one of the Laser options), no more drops.

Comment

I suppose it comes down to, "How many people purchase from the Mini Bar?"

If the fridges are not earning money, cruise lines will add it to the cost cutting portfolio.............Wilba
      Wilba

Comment

Originally posted by Mariers2, Rushden View Post
        Thomson Spirit and Marco Polo seem to have done away with the mini fridges in staterooms.

Spirit only had non-alcoholic drinks on top of the drawer.I had eyedrops which were supposed to be kept in a fridge. At Reception, we were told the only fridge on board was in reception,and we could leave them there and i would have to go down every night before bedtime to use them. The other option was that our ice bucket would be filled twice daily, but the cubes melted very quickly,and by the end of the week, the drops would not drip from the bottle. When we transferred to our hotel for the following week, there was a pharmacy opposite,and when i showed my prescription, the lady produced the identical item, adding that they did not have to be stored in a fridge,like the ones we have in the UK. The price used to be 31 Euros, but had recently been reduced to 11 Euros. (The drops are to keep the level of eye pressure at a low level.)

We have recently found out that Marco Polo offers the possibility of storing medications in their Medical Centre, so it seems they too have removed the fridges.

Does anyone know why this might be?
        I don't know but probably cost or workload related. We booked a Thomson holiday and upgraded to an unobstructed stateroom with a fridge as it was a Med. cruise and I had medicines to store. Surprise, surprise, no fridge and a whacking great lifeboat outside our "unobstructed window". Complained to customer services only to be told that there were no spare cabins that met our requirements and Planet Cruise hadn't asked for an unobstructed cabin with a fridge. After getting home we complained to PC and had to ask for the recording of the booking before they admitted that they'd got it wrong and gave us a £150 voucher for our next cruise with them, which they then reneged on so we missed the chance to book the same cruise with another company. Still got the voucher for £150.

Comment

I don't think that Marco Polo have ever had fridges except in their high grade cabins

Comment

We use cookies to give you the
          best experience possible.

By continuing to use our website you
          agree to our cookie policy

Working...
          X