• Ahoy there! Why not join the UK’s largest cruising forum? The Cruise.co.uk forum is the perfect place to meet and interact with likeminded cruisers to have invaluable conversations. Whether you're a veteran cruiser or looking to set sail on the sea for the first time, everyone is welcome on our forum to participate in the hottest conversations in the cruising world. So, what are you waiting for? Join the forum today by clicking here to register!

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Best Suites in the Ocean

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jimmy the One & Only
    started a topic Best Suites in the Ocean

Best Suites in the Ocean

You pay extra for suite thinking you will be getting the ultimate luxury experience. I think we will all agree you stateroom is the perfect retreat after a busy day at shore. But do you really get what you pay for?

Below is a comparisons of all the extra perks you get, which are not available in a standard stateroom

Please note the information provided is based on the lead in Suite staterooms and benefits will vary for all other staterooms.

Have you ever stayed in a suite during your cruise? How did the suite experience compare to when you stayed in a standard stateroom?

• IsabelBroad, Milton Keynes
    replied
    Suites P&O & RC

We've cruised twice on Azura (P&O) and Ind. of the Seas (RC).

P&O had far better priority embarkation than RC - we were on board Azura within 10 mins of entering the arrivals area. We were guided by a member of staff throgh each step of the process and it was a great way to board.

The suites themselves (entry level, but with all suite perks) were pretty similar although on Azura the bathroom was split into a toilet & sink, bath/shower arrangement which worked really well. Storage seemed similar but on IotS they laid it out better so it was far easier to get to the clothes.

Concierge Lounge on IotS was great, with free canapes and alcohol every night from 5pm til after 8pm. This was far better than the single plate of canapes delivered by the concierge to our room on Azura - although the concierge lounge on IotS was without windows so there was no great view.

Priority seating for the theatre on IotS was great. On IotS we were invited, with frequent cruisers, to a special ice show at which they served complimentary drinks. Nice touch.

So the suites weren't a massive differentiator although next time I'd look for a line with a concierge lounge as this was far better than being visited by our concierge every day.

Leave a comment:

• Mrsb, Essex
    replied
    We have not had a suite on Azura, but have on other P&O ships. All P&O ships offer:

In suite dining served by the butler
    Priority embarkation
    Priority disembarkation
    Priority tenders

Val

Leave a comment:

• Jimmy the One & Only
    replied
    Good Afternoon All,

I did mention in my post that the comparison is based on the lead in suites. Therefore some of benefits that are being mentioned are only available on the higher category suites.

I will take your comments onboard and do another comparison for the higher category suites.

Jimmy the One & Only

Leave a comment:

• ilovesunshine, east yorks
    replied
    the Q2 looks fantastic. We have been in a Q4 on QV and it was not as flash as this although we did enjoy most of the same perks, I think. We have just booked a grand suite on RCI Liberty of the seas, it will be interesting to see how it compares with Cunard although obviously we wont have ethe grills dining experience. Has anyone been in a grand suite I would be interested to hear details. I have heard that the standard cabins no longer provide decent toiletries so hope we get something ok to use in the suite. The reserved theatre seats will be useful, I think Cunard should provide somthing similar. We found the Canapes delivered to our suite every evening quite boring and not as good as the first time we sailed with them.

Leave a comment:

• Guy, Ormskirk
    replied
    Just had a Marquee suite on Freds Boudicca and my OH appreciated the complimentary decanters of Gin, Whisky and Brandy.

Carol, we were once next to a suite which had a Grand Piano and the occupants did a very good interpretation of chopsticks, but that was the range of their repertoire..Carol

Leave a comment:

• bobbybuoy, peterborough
    replied
    Originally posted by Calgray, Yorkshire View Post
    They all look fab. But to be quite honest, so long as we had a balcony, a comfy bed and be able to join in some great company in the MDR. and the bars. We would be happy.
    A top notch suite (If we could afford it, and we cannot) Would be wasted on just us two. If we had a big family to join in and share the privacy ..fair enough.
    But if you can afford it .... ENJOY!
    I know what you mean Carol. If I had a suite like that I would feel I had to spend considerable time in it to make the cost worthwhile. Then I would be sitting in my suite wondering what's going on out and about in the rest of the ship so I'd have to get out there and see. Then I'd be thinking I ought to be making the best of my suite having paid all that money so I'd want to go back. I'd be in and out like a fiddler's elbow knowing me. Just as well I can't afford one.

Bob

Leave a comment:

• Calgray, Yorkshire
    replied
    They all look fab. But to be quite honest, so long as we had a balcony, a comfy bed and be able to join in some great company in the MDR. and the bars. We would be happy.
    A top notch suite (If we could afford it, and we cannot) Would be wasted on just us two. If we had a big family to join in and share the privacy ..fair enough.
    But if you can afford it .... ENJOY!

Leave a comment:

• Leslie, London
    replied
    I agree Pete.............!

Leave a comment:

• Pete, Caerphilly
    replied
    Originally posted by Solent Richard, Lee on the Solent View Post
    No pictures Pete?

Try these from a Cunard Q2 - Oh, and the 'booze' is 24 hours....

...and all the boxes ticked except reservation of main theatre seating.
    The Cunard Suite looks fabulous and maybe one day.....................................Ahh!! ........if I win the pools

I actually think the title of the thread is a total misnomer, as most of the Suites mentioned are the entry grade or one grade above that.

Perhaps Jimmytheoneandonly should reconsider his title. It would be a real matter of conjecture as to what constitutes the Best Suite in the Ocean.. The largest , I believe ,goes to the Garden Villa on some of the NCL ships which are over 5,000 square feet but saying that sheer size doesn't make them the best afloat.

Maybe people should state what they believe is the Best Suite on the ocean and we could come up with a short list of say 5 which could then be the subject of a poll. What do you think?

Pete
    Last edited by Pete, Caerphilly; 12th January 2012, 06:50 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Leslie, London
    replied
    We had a Q5 on Queen Vic in July 2011 and a Premier Suite on Fred's Balmoral in December 2011. Previously, on Oceon Village we had inside, outside with obstructed view, balcony and suite. So I think we have tried them all. However, I agree that the table is, dare I say, misleading. For example, Fred clearly states that suite benefits (called 'suite dreams') only apply to grades 'Superior Suite' and above. Similar with Cunard; a Q ueens grade would tick far more boxes.

Do I think the extra is worth it? Yes I do, providing it is not 'brochure price'!

Leave a comment:

• Solent Richard, Lee on the Solent
    replied
    Originally posted by Pete, Caerphilly View Post
    You're not comparing like with like. A MSC YC1 is comparable to an RCI Grand suite. On the MSC ships with a Yacht Club (Fantasia Class)then RCI Junior suite is equivalent to the Grade 12 Suite with Balcony.(Not sure how the other suites in the table, on other cruise lines, compare!!)
    Then You get Ticks in these boxes

SPECIAL TREATS
    Access to Exclusive areas ......YES

STATEROOM EXTRAS

Lounge area .......................YES

EATS AND TREATS

Stateroom mini bar ..............YES
    In Suite Dining .....................YES
    Canapés delivered ................YES

THOUGHTFUL TOUCHES

Fresh flower arrangement.......YES
    Welcome drink on-board .......YES
    Plush Robes and Slippers .....YES
    Personalised Stationary.........YES

ARRIVALS AND DEPARTURES

Priority Boarding ...................YES
    Priority departure .................YES
    Priority boarding of tenders .....YES

ADDITIONAL EXTRAS

Access to Dedicated areas Theatre and Ice Shows
    Access to dedicated areas for sun loungers
    COMPLIMENTARY DRINKS FROM 5:00 to 8:00 every night

Now you can see the Benefits of A Grand Suite, in particular the FREE BOOZE!!!!

Pete
    No pictures Pete?

Try these from a Cunard Q2 - Oh, and the 'booze' is 24 hours....

...and all the boxes ticked except reservation of main theatre seating.

Leave a comment:

• Solent Richard, Lee on the Solent
    replied
    We need our resident expert on Suites to join this debate.

Where the devil is P G of A?

Leave a comment:

• Pete, Caerphilly
    replied
    You're not comparing like with like. A MSC YC1 is comparable to an RCI Grand suite. On the MSC ships with a Yacht Club (Fantasia Class)then RCI Junior suite is equivalent to the Grade 12 Suite with Balcony.(Not sure how the other suites in the table, on other cruise lines, compare!!)
    Then You get Ticks in these boxes

SPECIAL TREATS
    Access to Exclusive areas ......YES

STATEROOM EXTRAS

Lounge area .......................YES

EATS AND TREATS

Stateroom mini bar ..............YES
    In Suite Dining .....................YES
    Canapés delivered ................YES

THOUGHTFUL TOUCHES

Fresh flower arrangement.......YES
    Welcome drink on-board .......YES
    Plush Robes and Slippers .....YES
    Personalised Stationary.........YES

ARRIVALS AND DEPARTURES

Priority Boarding ...................YES
    Priority departure .................YES
    Priority boarding of tenders .....YES

ADDITIONAL EXTRAS

Access to Dedicated areas Theatre and Ice Shows
    Access to dedicated areas for sun loungers
    COMPLIMENTARY DRINKS FROM 5:00 to 8:00 every night

Now you can see the Benefits of A Grand Suite, in particular the FREE BOOZE!!!!

Pete
    Last edited by Pete, Caerphilly; 12th January 2012, 11:25 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Mrs M
    replied
    Originally posted by Alan, Newcastle-upon-Tyne View Post
    Hi I agree with your assessment of the largest Cunard Queen's Grill suite but it is only half the size of the largest Garden Villa suit on NCL.
    Here's a link to the best suites afloat:
    Best Suites at Sea - Cruises - Cruise Critic
    I've been lucky enough to go to drinks parties in a Q1 [not QM]...and it was amazing. Better than that, the others must be stupendous...shame I don't think I'll ever get to see them.

Leave a comment:

We use cookies to give you the
best experience possible.

By continuing to use our website you
agree to our cookie policy

Working...
X