• Ahoy there! Why not join the UK’s largest cruising forum? The Cruise.co.uk forum is the perfect place to meet and interact with likeminded cruisers to have invaluable conversations. Whether you're a veteran cruiser or looking to set sail on the sea for the first time, everyone is welcome on our forum to participate in the hottest conversations in the cruising world. So, what are you waiting for? Join the forum today by clicking here to register!

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Does Size Matter?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Does Size Matter?

When you go on a cruise do you always book the same grade of cabin? Do you think the size of the cabin is important?

The table below shows the size of the cabins for all the major cruise lines. The sizes are based on the lowest grade in that category.

The latest Celebrity Cruises ships; Solstice class are the largest inside cabins at sea coming in at a minimum of 183 square feet. There is a large difference with the smallest cabins over 60 square feet smaller which are on the Ocean Countess at 118 square feet. in that space you could fit 4 single beds! It could be said that the older smaller ships would inevitably have smaller cabins but the latest large ship from NCL with their innovative cabins, Epic comes in as the second smallest.

Suite on the Costa Favolosa

Superior Suite on the Balmoral

Fred Olsens Balmoral has the smallest suite at just 200 square feet, which is surprising as they have bigger inside cabins than a lot of other ships. Costa’s Favolasa has the biggest suite at 463 square feet. In 263 square feet of extra space that you would get on the Favolosa you could fit 16 single beds!!

Do you find that you need to be careful when booking a cabin for 4 people or requesting a cot as it may be a tight squeeze?
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Sailaway Sue; 26th September 2011, 12:32 PM.

We find that it isn't so much the size of the cabin but more how well laid out it is and how much storage space there is. The balcony cabins on Eclipse, for example, have virtually no drawer space and few flat surfaces to put things on whereas the outside cabins on Fred Olsen ships are tiny in comparison but have loads of flat surfaces and drawer space. I can happily live in either space.
    Cruising my way through life!

Sue

Comment

Downgrading with style.

We spashed out for a suite on Costa Serena for our 25th, wow it certainly spoilt us for the normal balcony cabins, but after taking a real cheap cruise on the Magica this July in an outside as far forward as you can get we found it spot on for size, plenty of storage nicely laid out and about £2000 cheaper.

That paid for the wifes wine & beauty spa bill.
      Last edited by tenpin, Basingstoke; 26th September 2011, 09:08 AM. Reason: added heading
      Cruising is like;

Being in The Garden of Eating

Comment

MV Discovery outside cabin with portholes is 135 sq ft but well laid out. Lots of storage.

Comment

Sue, so disappointed that you have left off the list the "R" ships, Azamara and Oceania, have them. ....Neil

Comment

we just book the cabin that we can afford, usually an inside. as long as the cabin has enough storage space and is clean that is good enough for us. however if we had the money then we would book a cabin with a balcony or even a suite but I just have to win the lottery for that.
            don't want to work, just want to cruise.

Comment

It all depends sometimes it's inside , sometimes outside and occasionally a balcony, the layout makes a big difference also.CG
              sigpic

Comment

I must say we like a decent sized cabin, but the last one I booked, on Victoria, I booked for the position and the balcony. We weren't disappointed!

Comment

Originally posted by History Addict, Alfreton View Post
                  We find that it isn't so much the size of the cabin but more how well laid out it is and how much storage space there is. The balcony cabins on Eclipse, for example, have virtually no drawer space and few flat surfaces to put things on whereas the outside cabins on Fred Olsen ships are tiny in comparison but have loads of flat surfaces and drawer space. I can happily live in either space.
                  I agree - the layout of the cabin is crucial. I no longer request twin cabin beds to be turned into a double because, instead of a wide space between the beds you can end up with a very narrow space on each side of the "double".
                  (Sharing a single bed can be very cosy)!

Comment

We use cookies to give you the
                  best experience possible.

By continuing to use our website you
                  agree to our cookie policy

Working...
                  X