• Ahoy there! Why not join the UK’s largest cruising forum? The Cruise.co.uk forum is the perfect place to meet and interact with likeminded cruisers to have invaluable conversations. Whether you're a veteran cruiser or looking to set sail on the sea for the first time, everyone is welcome on our forum to participate in the hottest conversations in the cruising world. So, what are you waiting for? Join the forum today by clicking here to register!

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Barcelona

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Barcelona

We are due to call at Barcelona in a couple of weeks time. I wonder, will it be safe to walk up Las Rambles in view of the current large scale demonstrations called with little notice?

Originally posted by JohnR, Chippenham View Post
    We are due to call at Barcelona in a couple of weeks time. I wonder, will it be safe to walk up Las Rambles in view of the current large scale demonstrations called with little notice?
    If this is your first visit to Barcelona, I understand why you would want to walk up Las Ramblas. However, there are many enjoyable walks in Barcelona avoiding Las Ramblas.

I was in the city two weeks ago and there was a very visible presence of police armed with machine guns. I made the decision to avoid Las Ramblas and walked over the bridge at the yacht harbour to Port Vell, with its many restaurants and shops. On the day I visited, there was a food and jazz festival next to the water and I spent several hours enjoying the atmosphere. The police were walking about in the crowds, moving people on, but I didn’t personally witness any problems.

My daughter and family fly to Barcelona tomorrow for the half term holiday and I have to admit I am a bit concerned about their safety.

Enjoy your day whatever you choose to do.

Comment

Ramblas/gothic never seen as save as it was yesterday

Comment

There are always policia present along La Ramblers, including armed policia. Well there was in 2011 when I took these photos.

Obviously avoid the area if demonstrations are announced, especially the Columbus Monument area near the port end of La Ramblers and the Placa Catalunya at the far end, mainly because it would be extremely crowded.

There are many other areas to enjoy within walking distance of the Port avoiding La Ramblas, as has already been said the yacht Harbour is one of them.

Personally I would be more worried about the pick pockets, than I would the Catalonia problems along La Ramblas

Two thirds of the photos in this album were taken from an open top bus ride around Barcelona.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/delboy...7626076521015/

Last edited by Delboy, Essex; 22nd October 2017, 01:24 PM.
        Delboy

Photo Albums

https://www.flickriver.com/photos/delboyalbums/sets/

or

https://www.flickr.com/photos/delboyalbums/albums

Comment

It's a year since we last visited Barcelona but I still recall very clearly the seething crowds, noise of heavy traffic and the general grubbiness of the area as we walked up Las Ramblas. We turned off as soon as possible into the quieter streets and came across a very pleasant large square which was much more peaceful. Consequently I have been put off returning there as a cruise port so it is good to hear of alternative areas to walk, away from the main drag. We had the done the Ho-Ho buses routes on a previous visit.

Comment

When we were there last week we had no issues - the only sign of the issue was the number of flags in the windows and on balconies, but they are always there.

We enjoyed a couple of hours in the gothic/cathederal area. On previous visits we have visited Montjuic with the castle and walked down via the Olympic Village to the area around the old bull ring (now a shopping mall). From there the D20 bus takes you back to the bottom of the Ramblas.

On our visit last week there were 6 cruise ships in port so there were more cruisers than demonstrators.

Cheers

Tony B

Comment

About 3 weeks ago on BBC4, the Art Lovers Guide toured around Barcelona discovering the hidden gems it has to offer. If you're able, try and watch it on catch up TV.

Cheers OSD
              Our cruising days are over now.................

Comment

If you are looking to avoid the main tourist area in Barcelona, don't forget there is a beach area too which is a pleasant walk beyond the marina from where the ship's shuttle bus drops you off.
                Cruising my way through life!

Sue

Comment

On our first visit to Barcelona, we used the open top HoHo buses. There 3/4 different colour coded routes to take and we were able to change routes at certain points.

It's a great way to see what Barcelona has to offer and gives you the choice of staying on the bus if you don't want to walk around the different attractions.
                  Jill

Comment

Originally posted by All at sea, Yorks View Post
                    It's a year since we last visited Barcelona but I still recall very clearly the seething crowds, noise of heavy traffic and the general grubbiness of the area as we walked up Las Ramblas. We turned off as soon as possible into the quieter streets and came across a very pleasant large square which was much more peaceful. Consequently I have been put off returning there as a cruise port so it is good to hear of alternative areas to walk, away from the main drag. We had the done the Ho-Ho buses routes on a previous visit.
                    I wonder if that square was the Placa Reial, just to the right of La Rambla where I took these two photos.

On the same side you also have Pla de la Seu with its Gothic Cathedral, one of the most beautiful gothic building in Barcelona, Not to be confused with Sagrada Família.

Photo curtesy Wikipedia.

Delboy

Photo Albums

https://www.flickriver.com/photos/delboyalbums/sets/

or

https://www.flickr.com/photos/delboyalbums/albums

Comment

Lovely pictures Delboy, thanks for sharing. Yes that was the square, surrounded by elegant buildings and I even have a photo of that fancy lamp post! Lol

Comment

Originally posted by Smith7 View Post
                        On our first visit to Barcelona, we used the open top HoHo buses. There 3/4 different colour coded routes to take and we were able to change routes at certain points.

It's a great way to see what Barcelona has to offer and gives you the choice of staying on the bus if you don't want to walk around the different attractions.
                        I have to agree with you Gill but with one exception. It used to be a good way of seeing the city but now because of the horrendous traffic congestion Barcelona is experiencing, I wouldn't recommend them at present. Last year we took one that should have taken an hour but we were stuck in jams most of the time and it ended up taking well over two hours. Barcelona is a victim of it's own success as a tourist attraction but now there are too many of them and it's causing problems.

Cheers OSD
                        Our cruising days are over now.................

Comment

Originally posted by Old Sea Dog, Stockport View Post
                          I have to agree with you Gill but with one exception. It used to be a good way of seeing the city but now because of the horrendous traffic congestion Barcelona is experiencing, I wouldn't recommend them at present. Last year we took one that should have taken an hour but we were stuck in jams most of the time and it ended up taking well over two hours. Barcelona is a victim of it's own success as a tourist attraction but now there are too many of them and it's causing problems.

Cheers OSD
                          Fair enough OSD. It was 11 years ago that we used the HoHo buses, before we started cruising.
                          Jill

Comment

Thanks to all for your comments/suggestions. Will see how things play out on the day. We do like to walk in the streets of the "old quarter" where ever we go just to get a feel of the sights and sounds of the place.

For those visiting Barcelona and have never been there, the Poble Espanyol (Spanish Village) is well worth a visit. Buildings in the architectural styles from all over Spain in a very attractive village setting.

Comment

It's not put us off, we're due there about the 15th November (cant remember the exact date off the top of my head) I've booked us a wine tasking near the santa maria del mare church and we'll be walking there from Las Ramblas

Comment

We use cookies to give you the
                              best experience possible.

By continuing to use our website you
                              agree to our cookie policy

Working...
                              X