• Ahoy there! Why not join the UK’s largest cruising forum? The Cruise.co.uk forum is the perfect place to meet and interact with likeminded cruisers to have invaluable conversations. Whether you're a veteran cruiser or looking to set sail on the sea for the first time, everyone is welcome on our forum to participate in the hottest conversations in the cruising world. So, what are you waiting for? Join the forum today by clicking here to register!

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Taxi sharing

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Taxi sharing

Because most cruise lines do not provide free shuttle buses from boat to town it seams to be sensible to share a taxi thus saving money and time. But its difficult to find sharers without holding up a board!!! How about the ship providing a taxi line for those who wish to share?

NARDOUX

We have sometimes got off the ship and while standing in a line waiting for a bus started chatting with passengers and asking do they want to share.

It worked brilliantly in Bruge we shared with another couple and the taxi offered to pick us all up at a designated time and place.

I can't see the cruise lines organising taxi's they want us to take an excursion or the shuttle. I can't see what is in it for them apart from passengers appreciating it of course...Carol

Comment

Lesley and I did this in Dubrovnik. It was obvious who was heading to the taxi rank, so we ended up just asking another couple if they wanted to share. I'd imagine most people would be up for it.

Same happened on the way back to the port. That said there were a lot of singles/couples getting taxis on their own, which I found a little frustration given the length of the queue.

As Carol said, cruise lines are keen to push their expensive port transfers so I doubt they'll ever start advertising the services of a local taxi company. Well... unless they can sell it as a luxury private transfer and slap on a 200%+ markup!
      Duncan S

See my blog!

Comment

I think in some countries the taxi cannot off the sharing service you have to get together first.

So you don't see the vans like you do in US airports and ports offering ride shares

crazy when you have people queuing to go to the same place and have no baggage so sharing is easy and quick.

Comment

We've done this a few times via Roll Call site.

Once from London to Soton and a couple of times private tours in people carriers (vans).

Stewart

Comment

I have organised shared taxi transfers particularly airport runs with others on a roll call. I always choose a company that require no upfront payment and make it clear to others that its a shared fare if one couple doesn't show. So far we have been very lucky and not encountered any problems.

Comment

We use cookies to give you the
            best experience possible.

By continuing to use our website you
            agree to our cookie policy

Working...
            X