• Ahoy there! Why not join the UK’s largest cruising forum? The Cruise.co.uk forum is the perfect place to meet and interact with likeminded cruisers to have invaluable conversations. Whether you're a veteran cruiser or looking to set sail on the sea for the first time, everyone is welcome on our forum to participate in the hottest conversations in the cruising world. So, what are you waiting for? Join the forum today by clicking here to register!

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Well there is a suprise!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Well there is a suprise!

Britannia, the new P and O ship will have irons and ironing boards in the cabin. Only in the superior deluxe balconies and above but I bet a lot of passengers will welcome them. My concern would be people leaving them on but you can buy irons that cut off after a period of inactivity so presumably that is what will be available.

How long before other lines follow suit I wonder...Carol

Personally I wouldnt want them in my cabin.

More clutter to stow away where storage space is paramount.

I always dump the kettle (if there is one) and the accompanying tray of bits in a corner of the room, remove the hairdryer from the drawer to make room for make up and empty the fridge of all the unwanted room service bottles to make way for my shore bought bottles of water. So another piece of unnecessary equipment to get in my way.

I am all for the shared services of an ironing room though.

Comment

Hopefully we will get some feedback once members have sailed on her. If they are clever they could have a board that folds down from a wardrobe door, not sure about the iron though. I have rarely ironed on a cruise but the number of people who try to smuggle them on board suggests they will be welcomed by some...Carol

Comment

I'd be happy to have one. As for the board it could come discreetly out of a drawer. The one in my kitchen does lol.

Comment

Hi there Carol.
          I have a feeling that P&O already have irons & ironing boards in suites, (although having never stayed in that category of cabin I can't say for definite). The irons in the launderettes are operated on a timer so cannot be left on by mistake for very long.

And can I just say that I personally hope that the day never comes when passengers are allowed to bring on board their own irons.

Comment

Thanks Pippa, thought I had found out something innovative..

I don't suppose they will ever relax the ban on untested equipment though and quite rightly so..Carol

Comment

I wouldn't want an iron on holiday, even in a suite. Creases drop out of most things hung in the bathroom.

Comment

Well I'm glad I have an ordinary balcony cabin then, I do enough ironing before I go and when I return, I don't want to do it when I'm away!
                .................................................. .................................................. ...............................Carol

Comment

I often stay in hotels with irons etc and never use them - why would I use them on a cruise??

My largest laundry bill on a cruise has been 25USD - I can live with that.

Annie

Comment

Originally posted by Guy, Ormskirk View Post
                    Thanks Pippa, thought I had found out something innovative..

I don't suppose they will ever relax the ban on untested equipment though and quite rightly so..Carol
                    Well if they're rolling them out to superior deluxe cabins, then that is a new feature. The only time we've ever stayed in one of those was back in 2010 on Ventura. I'm trying hard to remember the cabin features but I don't think that there was an iron in our room. If there had been one it would have saved me the long walk down the corridor to the launderette! lol
                    Last edited by Pippa, Kernow; 27th December 2014, 07:57 PM.

Comment

I agree Carol, I love washing but hate ironing so no ironing when on a cruise is an added bonus. Cooke is correct in saying that creases drop out of most things if placed in a steamy bathroom.
                      Oriana
                      Oceana
                      Ventura
                      Queen Mary 2
                      Queen Victoria
                      Queen Elizabeth

Comment

Whatever next a Dyson and shower cleaning kit.
                        Hope our cruise experience gets a bit better than ironing and pressing for entertainment..Taffy
                        ​Taffy

Comment

I think it's a useful addition. Shirts can always get creased when packed, and I'd rather be able to iron something last-minute in my room than have to drag myself to the laundry room or wait for a laundry service.

I've seen some very space-saving boards that, when stowed, take up no room at all. I reckon they could find a hidden bit of dead space for the iron. As for safety concerns I've seen a few hotel irons with an egg-timer style contraption that will only power them for a short period, so this should minimise risk.
                          Duncan S

See my blog!

Comment

Originally posted by dst87, Falkirk View Post
                            I think it's a useful addition. Shirts can always get creased when packed, and I'd rather be able to iron something last-minute in my room than have to drag myself to the laundry room or wait for a laundry service.

I've seen some very space-saving boards that, when stowed, take up no room at all. I reckon they could find a hidden bit of dead space for the iron. As for safety concerns I've seen a few hotel irons with an egg-timer style contraption that will only power them for a short period, so this should minimise risk.
                            Hi Duncan

That is where you men are at a disadvantage

I always pack clothes with fabrics that survive my packing and as others suggest hang them in the bathroom and let the creases disappear

Annie

Comment

Originally posted by Cooke, Ashby View Post
                              I wouldn't want an iron on holiday, even in a suite. Creases drop out of most things hung in the bathroom.
                              If I could afford a suite, I would be expecting to hand the ironing over to the Butler to do anyway. So whats the point of the iron in top grade suites?

Comment

We use cookies to give you the
                              best experience possible.

By continuing to use our website you
                              agree to our cookie policy

Working...
                              X