• Ahoy there! Why not join the UK’s largest cruising forum? The Cruise.co.uk forum is the perfect place to meet and interact with likeminded cruisers to have invaluable conversations. Whether you're a veteran cruiser or looking to set sail on the sea for the first time, everyone is welcome on our forum to participate in the hottest conversations in the cruising world. So, what are you waiting for? Join the forum today by clicking here to register!

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Stressed by packing

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Stressed by packing

I have read so many posts here and at CC with endless list of what to take. I didn't come here before my one and only previous cruise, so consequently, I just packed as I would for most other holidays. Some warm weather clothing, I wore clothes that were warm and cosy to leave and return to very cold UK and just removed layers, as and when. Not sure why because I don't like dressing up, after many years of having to, but I packed a couple of dressy type tops that were suitable for evenings and a long black skirt.

Carried things like cameras, binoculars, torch, hats, scarves, lotions and potions and currency. That was it. Oh, 3 pairs of shoes. Husband took his dinner suit.

All fine. I worked on the assumption that if I didn't have something I could probably buy it somewhere.

The journey was from UK to Philadelphia, beginning with an overnight stop at a Heathrow Hotel.

Philadelphia to Las Vegas. Three nights there, then to San Pedro at Los Angeles for our cruise to the Hawaiian Islands. An overnight stay then at Los Angeles before flights home.

No problems with packed items no problems with packing and unpacking and packing again.

All different now though. This time I have reams of paper covering my desk, list upon list of things to take. Why oh why did I not rely on my own common sense again.

My home is bursting at the seams with stuff that might never be used. I have had to buy plastic boxes to store it in until I have time to decide what to do with it all. My latest purchase yesterday was Teva sandals. I read about them at CC. Had to have them. They are ideal for many things, including snorkelling, trekking etc. I have ajob to walk.

Good sense has prevailed at last and the Teva sandals amongst other things are being packed up ready to take to the Post Office.

I don't have a balcony door, but I bought some bungies, just in case. I have receptacles to stick in the shower room to hold my shampoo, a laundry hamper, over door shoe thingy, duct tape.................................. Forgot to mention, my disinfect wipes to clean every nook and cranny in the cabin as soon as I arrive. I could go on and on.............

Don't have time though, I need to pack and stop stressing.

I do not need jewellery to match each outfit, or shoes to match everything, or nail polishes and lipsticks and hair ornaments and matching bags.

I'm going on a cruise so I shall take clothes that will cover this extremely cuddly ageing body of mine and comfy shoes, a kindle and a real book, medication, camera, and money.

I have written this for all the ladies ( and men) who are worried about what to take. I am 65 so I think I have a good idea. It is not in my nature to judge anyone by appearance, I like to conform but in my way.

I once turned up to a do in silver lurex from head to toe and glittery diamante jewellery because I had been told that that was the dress code for the evening. No one remembered to tell me that the dress code changed to Wild West bar room.

There was a sharp intake of breath as I arrived followed by my usual smile. I managed to convince myself that everyone but me was wrong and had a fabulous evening.

It is so easy to lose our sense of perspective over what is, after all, a wonderful holiday. We are privileged to be able to have these holidays and i for one need to remmeber this and continue to be true to myself.

Ok, it was a rant, but you don't have to read it and I feel better now.

Liz

Hello Liz

There is a saying ' Take half the clothes and twice the money ' but we females never seem to resist packing a few extra things.

If it makes you feel any better a group of friends and I arrived wearing short nighties at a pyjama party that was not until the following night . Not our mistake , it was a joke by a member of the crew !

Have a Happy Cruise!
    Christiaan

Comment

I just have to say i would much rather be packing to go on holiday, than packing to come home. Things never go back in the suit case properly and the thought that the holiday is over doesn't help either............................................ ........Carol

Comment

Hi Liz,

Had to laugh at the thought of you turning up in silver lurex to a wild west night how funny!! I have to admit that i am getting a little stressed myself for my forthcoming cruise aboard Azura, Formal, Semi-Formal, Smart Casual Arrrrghhhhhhhhhhh!!! We have only cruised once before and that was with Ocean Village so no dressing up, why is it the Men (well my other half anyway) just do not get stressed about it at all!! I am sorting frocks, jewellery, hair accessories, shoes and bags etc etc etc for myself and my daughter but as you say its only a holiday and although i will do my very best to conform to the dress codes i am sure i will not be comdemed to the corridors of hell for the rest of my life if we get something wrong (There again having read some of the posts on here from various cruisers maybe i will!! Ah well at least it will be warm)!!

Comment

Originally posted by carol, welwyn garden city View Post
          I just have to say i would much rather be packing to go on holiday, than packing to come home. Things never go back in the suit case properly and the thought that the holiday is over doesn't help either............................................ ........Carol
          I reckon it's easier to pack on the way home. The majority of the paperback books are discarded and clothes packed, mostly without worrying about creasing. Far easier!

Comment

Originally posted by Mrs M View Post
            I reckon it's easier to pack on the way home. The majority of the paperback books are discarded and clothes packed, mostly without worrying about creasing. Far easier!
            And the guys have an even easier way of unpacking when you arrive home. Simply stand next to the laundry basket and tip it all out!!

Comment

Originally posted by Bradbury, Coventry View Post
              And the guys have an even easier way of unpacking when you arrive home. Simply stand next to the laundry basket and tip it all out!!
              Funny that...must be wired into the DNA on the Y chromosome.

Comment

Hi Lashie,
                We will have lots of fun and once I am dressed I don't give any thought to my appearance afterwards. I always try to put others at their ease and in doing so I ease myself too.
                It will be wonderful. We can all add a little bit of make up and some earrings to make most outfits look nice especially if you are not huge, like me.

Yes the packing to come home is so easy.

Comment

Originally posted by Bradbury, Coventry View Post
                  What !!! you actually have a guy who unpacks
                  Jo

Comment

You sound just like myself at the moment. I have to pack for 16 weeks and I am now starting to think why am I doing this. I shall have to start writing lists soon for each suitcase and a list of what I need and haven't yet bought such as spare shoe laces, soap powder etc. Once I have paid my final payment and got my visas and jabs then I will start to really panic. Can't see me packing the night before as there's so much to pack. I've been known to pack on the day I leave for the ship sometimes. Anyway have a great cruise and let us all know how it went.
                    EDNA

Comment

Originally posted by Dancing Queen, Chesterfield View Post
                      What !!! you actually have a guy who unpacks
                      I do but he is not that great at packing for the cruise. his excuse is that 'I fold better than him'!! but I do make sure he gets out what he wants to take and packs most of it. I usually just fold his shirts. when we arrive in our cabin or back home he will unpack one case while unpack the other.
                      don't want to work, just want to cruise.

Comment

Hi Liz
                        I enjoyed your post so much. So much truth in it, especially the bit about having a houseful of clothes you might never wear. I used to go on holiday thinking, like you, that a couple of "dressed up" outfits was all that would be needed. And then I got addicted to cruising and looking for clothes to dress up in so that for 2 short weeks I could live out my fantasy of being comfortably off. Nice to know that there are like minded ladies out there who wear comfortable shoes rather than "jimmy choos". At the moment I am trying to plan how I am going to pack all my stuff into one case and a cabin bag as I prepare for our holiday in september. First fly cruise for about 3 years and I have got too used to sailing from southampton and packing everything but the kitchen sink. Wish me luck. I will think of your lovely post as I am trying to cram everything into the case. Thank you, you made me smile. regards Pat

Comment

Hillbilly,I too wonder how I would manage if I did a flycruise , I have cases of clothes up in the loft, and I have a fashion show with my DIL before every cruise, it's a great laugh, some fit , some don't and still I buy more!!
                          One pair of evening shoes that are special and the rest casual and comfy.
                          I leave the camera and all the paraphanelia that goes with it to my OH, as for all the instructions I keep a sheet and add comments to them from every cruise so I don't forget anything. CG
                          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Christiaan, Richmond View Post
                            Hello Liz

There is a saying ' Take half the clothes and twice the money ' but we females never seem to resist packing a few extra things.

If it makes you feel any better a group of friends and I arrived wearing short nighties at a pyjama party that was not until the following night . Not our mistake , it was a joke by a member of the crew !

Have a Happy Cruise!
                            Christiaan
                            Went to Turkey this year and at the home weigh in we were spot on. On the airport scales i was 2kg over !!!!! I set about transferring 2 kg into my pockets etc (dead easy) when i noticed that i had some clothing and stuff other than mine in my case !! Turns out that my other half had put some "just in case" stuff in my case and pushed me over the limit.
                            Oh well .................... it happens.

Comment

Originally posted by QUOTE: [URL="http://www.cruises.co.uk/695-useful_cruising_info_printables_downloads/22132-stressed_packing.html#post298859"
                              [/URL]
                              And the guys have an even easier way of unpacking when you arrive home. Simply stand next to the laundry basket and tip it all out! !
                              Originally posted by Mrs M View Post
                              Funny that...must be wired into the DNA on the Y chromosome.
                              Mmm, guess I must have a bit of a short circuit as except for underwear and socks (do think about hygiene ) simply fold and place back in drawers. Course my wife might get in the act and suggest it does need to be washed at which point I bow to her wisdom.
                              Last edited by RobBar, Canada; 18th August 2011, 06:21 AM.
                              sigpicRob
                              Next Cruise:> QM2 2016 / My Blog robbarcruises.com

Comment

We use cookies to give you the
                              best experience possible.

By continuing to use our website you
                              agree to our cookie policy

Working...
                              X