• Ahoy there! Why not join the UK’s largest cruising forum? The Cruise.co.uk forum is the perfect place to meet and interact with likeminded cruisers to have invaluable conversations. Whether you're a veteran cruiser or looking to set sail on the sea for the first time, everyone is welcome on our forum to participate in the hottest conversations in the cruising world. So, what are you waiting for? Join the forum today by clicking here to register!

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Paying a Penny to help NHS

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hi Annie
    I'd rather pick fruit..lots of jobs in that field..
    Regards
    Garfield

Comment

Annie,stop hitting the old, one day you will get to the stage where you will need every penny that you have saved cos the state pension is not enough on its own to keep you and your dependants .

looking for money to help the NHS?I would suggest cutting down an the foreign aid that we give to corrupt countries,

jim

Comment

Originally posted by jimtheoldsalt, felixstowe View Post
        Annie,stop hitting the old, one day you will get to the stage where you will need every penny that you have saved cos the state pension is not enough on its own to keep you and your dependants .

looking for money to help the NHS?I would suggest cutting down an the foreign aid that we give to corrupt countries,

jim
        Hi Jim

I am at that stage. I am a retiree. OK I don't have any dependents - you win that one.

Yes I saved so that I can enjoy my holidays.

I think the cost of the NHS should be spread equally across all age groups.

Annie
        Last edited by annie, Glasgow; 7th June 2018, 10:06 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Mariers2, Rushden View Post
          From what I read recently, a lot of people are in favour of paying an extra penny to help fund the NHS.

On the face of it, it seems little enough to ask, though a dark thought has crept into my brain.

As the underlying idea is to destroy the NHS in covert ways, and promote privatisation, is it possible that more stringent cuts would be made in various services on order to wipe out the funding people would be creating?

Can someone tell me that could not happen?
          What on earth makes you say "the underlying idea is to destroy the NHS in covert ways and promote privatisation"? Do you have any sound evidence for this?

The problem always with hypothecation (ring fencing) is those setting the budgets can then reduce their contribution by the ring fenced amount and still keep the overall spend the same.

I wonder, how much would an extra penny on income tax bring in and would it be enough to make any difference?

Regardless of whichever party is in power there will never ever be enough money for the NHS. Each year new and frequently more expensive treatments and drugs become available and more and more people are "saved" to live longer and then to need more and more treatments.

Comment

Is the problem:

Money
            Life style
            Life expectanacy
            Bed blocking
            Poor provision of social care
            Management
            Non "essential" medical care
            New drugs
            Unique and high cost treatments

In reality the list is potentially endless and the problems insurmountable, at some point a cross party initiative that looks at the whole provision of both health and social care needs to come up with recommendations for a new fit for purpose NHS.

Are the politicians willing to step up?

John

Comment

I'm sure many commentators have said that just throwing money at the NHS will not solve all of it's problems. Yes more funding would be a good thing, but perhaps they really do need to 'pause and evaluate' what is being delivered - scaling up current activites would just cause the same issues, but with perhaps shorter waiting times.

Comment

Originally posted by Garfield, Waterlooville View Post
                I agree..tax those that can afford it..not those that can't.
                Just think how many we could get off the dole to administer means testing.
                Regards
                Garfield
                Is that not how the tax system works? If you earn or get enough income you pay tax.
                If your income is not high enough to pay tax you would pay nothing, IMO it is not fair to just add to NI deduction as this only applies to those working.
                We all use the NHS so it is fairer for all of us to pay into it....Taffy
                ​Taffy

Comment

Originally posted by 1fifthavenue, birmingham View Post
                  I'm sure many commentators have said that just throwing money at the NHS will not solve all of it's problems. Yes more funding would be a good thing, but perhaps they really do need to 'pause and evaluate' what is being delivered - scaling up current activites would just cause the same issues, but with perhaps shorter waiting times.
                  I agree a "Pause and evaluate" would be a great idea, I have thought for a long time the NHS is a badly managed asset....Taffy
                  ​Taffy

Comment

Originally posted by Haworth, Wokingham View Post

In reality the list is potentially endless and the problems insurmountable, at some point a cross party initiative that looks at the whole provision of both health and social care needs to come up with recommendations for a new fit for purpose NHS.

Are the politicians willing to step up?

John
                    I suspect not.

Whenever a hospital trust, having studied it's area in detail, comes up with a proposal to close a small local hospital and treat those patients in a not too far away bigger, better hospital with more facilities there is an outcry from the local MP downwards.

We have to face up to the fact that we cannot have advanced facilities in every hospital and it is much more efficient for the NHS to centralise many advanced facilities and get better utilisation of expensive equipment.

Comment

I would gladly pay an extra penny. IF, It went to the right places within the NHS, Not on directors/Managers fancy offices. And yes, Stop all the foreign aid to countries that are NOT poor, (India etc) That money could be put to great use here. Jan.

Comment

Plenty of evidence of creeping privatisation in NHS and Labour were not blameless in this.
                        Deliberate rationing of resources and allowing things to wither have been in existence for years.
                        People with complex health needs and those requiring care that is dementia related are in a 2 tier system already,you can get much better care if you are prepared to have some of your care paid for.
                        There is also postcode lottery of different standards of care in different areas.
                        I'm pretty sure all of these things are covertly damaging/destroying the NHS and the creeping privitisation is there for all to see.
                        Some of the worst performing GP providers are privately run.
                        70% of services put out to tender by the NHS in 2017/18 were won by private companies,£2.43 billion worth.

Comment

Originally posted by Taffy, Wales View Post
                          Is that not how the tax system works? If you earn or get enough income you pay tax.
                          If your income is not high enough to pay tax you would pay nothing, IMO it is not fair to just add to NI deduction as this only applies to those working.
                          We all use the NHS so it is fairer for all of us to pay into it....Taffy
                          NI is just another label for Income Tax.

However not everyone pays it irrespective of Income.

Annie

Comment

Then after this sorts out the NHS all the road tax can go to improve the roads ???. When the NHS started it was to save lives and be free at source nowadays a lot or some is for cosmetic surgery well sorry this should be for special cases only if you want a boob job or tummy tuck or tattoo removed YOU pay sorry about your human rights, now the one they would all be frightened to mention "MPs" all these drunks at weekends if they get so mortal they need an ambulance make them pay and I mean full amount 2/3 thousand people die while they deal with drunks but as I said they are all to frightened to bring this in.

Comment

Originally posted by George, Gateshead (3) View Post
                              Then after this sorts out the NHS all the road tax can go to improve the roads ???. When the NHS started it was to save lives and be free at source nowadays a lot or some is for cosmetic surgery well sorry this should be for special cases only if you want a boob job or tummy tuck or tattoo removed YOU pay sorry about your human rights, now the one they would all be frightened to mention "MPs" all these drunks at weekends if they get so mortal they need an ambulance make them pay and I mean full amount 2/3 thousand people die while they deal with drunks but as I said they are all to frightened to bring this in.
                              Hi George

I was about to post something similar and those forum members who work on the front line of the NHS will have a better feel for this than I do:

How many GP visits or hospital appointments are for conditions related to poor lifestyle choices we choose to make?

I have relatives who work or have worked in the NHS and their estimates are staggering.

Annie

Comment

Originally posted by annie, Glasgow View Post
                                Hi George

I was about to post something similar and those forum members who work on the front line of the NHS will have a better feel for this than I do:

How many GP visits or hospital appointments are for conditions related to poor lifestyle choices we choose to make?

I have relatives who work or have worked in the NHS and their estimates are staggering.

Annie
                                Hi! Annie, made a mistake should have been make them pay full amount £2/3 thousand not people dying sorry.

Comment

We use cookies to give you the
                                best experience possible.

By continuing to use our website you
                                agree to our cookie policy

Working...
                                X