• Ahoy there! Why not join the UK’s largest cruising forum? The Cruise.co.uk forum is the perfect place to meet and interact with likeminded cruisers to have invaluable conversations. Whether you're a veteran cruiser or looking to set sail on the sea for the first time, everyone is welcome on our forum to participate in the hottest conversations in the cruising world. So, what are you waiting for? Join the forum today by clicking here to register!

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Police Road Closed Signs

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Police Road Closed Signs

When the Police put a sign on the road to say it has been closed, is it legal for somebody to move it to one side,and use the road anyway?

In our town during the Bank Holiday weekend, there was a fire at a public house in the High street. Two roads have the notices positioned,as a preventative measure while scaffolding is being erected to make the roof and upper storey safe.

I have seen several vehicles going straight by the notice in the High Street, and when they approach the area nearer to the pub,another notice (red and white,instead of blue and white) and tape stops them from going further. Some vehicles turn up the road that had been closed at the top, managing to by-pass the other police notice. Others turn around and continue down another road. This morning a lady said she had watched someone get out of their car, move the police notice to the side of the road,which,sited behind a large van was not clearly visible to oncoming traffic. Consequently more traffic went down the street.

Can the Police take action if a member of the public moves a sign, and would s/he be responsible if an incident occurred?

Originally posted by Mariers2, Rushden View Post
    When the Police put a sign on the road to say it has been closed, is it legal for somebody to move it to one side,and use the road anyway?

In our town during the Bank Holiday weekend, there was a fire at a public house in the High street. Two roads have the notices positioned,as a preventative measure while scaffolding is being erected to make the roof and upper storey safe.

I have seen several vehicles going straight by the notice in the High Street, and when they approach the area nearer to the pub,another notice (red and white,instead of blue and white) and tape stops them from going further. Some vehicles turn up the road that had been closed at the top, managing to by-pass the other police notice. Others turn around and continue down another road. This morning a lady said she had watched someone get out of their car, move the police notice to the side of the road,which,sited behind a large van was not clearly visible to oncoming traffic. Consequently more traffic went down the street.

Can the Police take action if a member of the public moves a sign, and would s/he be responsible if an incident occurred?
    I am sure that there are enough laws from which the police can choose which would cover most eventualities should they be so inclined.

Sounds to me though that too many members of the wonderful British public believe that nothing is meant for them, only others, how dare someone block their way. ......Neil

Comment

Originally posted by Neil Down, Southampton View Post
      I am sure that there are enough laws from which the police can choose which would cover most eventualities should they be so inclined.

Sounds to me though that too many members of the wonderful British public believe that nothing is meant for them, only others, how dare someone block their way. ......Neil
      It was like that when I went to The Barbican Centre last month. I came out of the tube station and the road to the Centre was taped off, with police presence. People were picking up the tape and walking through. I ended up finding another way in, as did the friend that I was meeting. I still don't know why the road was closed, but someone said that an unexploded WW2 bomb had been found.
      2018-
      Queen Victoria - Mediterranean Explorer

2019 -
      NCL Getaway - Norway and Iceland
      Adventure of the Seas - Fall Foliage

2020 -
      Jewel of the Seas - Abu Dhabi & Dubai
      Magellan - Panama Canal

Comment

I saw a TV programme about the A66, which climbs over the Pennines from Cumbria, and gathers large amounts of snow in winter. There are gates which can be drawn across, but people still open them because they just want to go a few miles up the road... so after the police have given the warning, they then have to go out and rescue those who've ignored it.
        Jo.

Comment

We use cookies to give you the
        best experience possible.

By continuing to use our website you
        agree to our cookie policy

Working...
        X