• Ahoy there! Why not join the UK’s largest cruising forum? The Cruise.co.uk forum is the perfect place to meet and interact with likeminded cruisers to have invaluable conversations. Whether you're a veteran cruiser or looking to set sail on the sea for the first time, everyone is welcome on our forum to participate in the hottest conversations in the cruising world. So, what are you waiting for? Join the forum today by clicking here to register!

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What's your view on Uber?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    What's your view on Uber?

    Currently there is an issue in York about Uber drivers licenced in other towns and cities. I did a little research and it turns out the law was changed in 2015 and a private hire driver licenced in any town can now work in any other area, as long as the journey is pre-booked.

    So Uber drivers are getting licences in a low cost town and then simply working all over the place, as the Uber App is non-geographic.

    https://www.theguardian.com/technolo...gmb-union-says

    In Leeds there is an active team of inspectors and a strict set of controls on drivers and cars, but they are only empowered to check on Leeds taxis, they can't stop drivers from other areas.

    So is it just the new way or should we be worried as to who is controlling them?

    Cheers

    Tony B

    #2
    Used to think it was a good thing, but recently they've started cancelling trips, not turning up, driving past etc - have deleted the app. A local mini cab firm has launched an app so use that now

    Comment


      #3
      When Uber work well, they work really well, and can track where you are by your phone.

      But then you always hear the bad stories too, my daughters friend paid for a taxi, but they said they couldn't find her, and wouldn't go and get her until she had paid again. .................................................. .................................Carol

      Comment


        #4
        Originally posted by 1fifthavenue, birmingham View Post
        Used to think it was a good thing, but recently they've started cancelling trips, not turning up, driving past etc - have deleted the app. A local mini cab firm has launched an app so use that now
        I cannot speak for Uber but the local taxi companies have upped their game. They have an App, still unused, but I can track the car, know the registration number etc. Quite impressed.

        I also use another local company who gives priority to solo women late at night.

        Annie
        Last edited by annie, Glasgow; 12th December 2017, 09:24 PM.

        Comment


          #5
          We rarely use taxis, but if we do it is always a local firm.

          Comment


            #6
            We have a local company, like Annie, book on line, get details of driver, registration, arrival time etc all via an app

            I used to live in East London and knew a few "black cab drivers" they spend years doing the knowledge can't compare with Uber who don't seem to have equivalent legislation.

            John

            Comment


              #7
              So Uber drivers are getting licences in a low cost town and then simply working all over the place,

              Not just uber doing that.

              If it gets the small boys to up their game it is a good thing.

              we already have a price war and fixed price anywhere within the town so Uber can't undercut that.

              What is needed is more shared ride services.

              Comment


                #8
                I only ever use Uber when I'm in London and they have always worked well for me.

                I feel for the black cab drivers who have had to acquire 'The Knowledge' in order to get their licence. That said, Uber is so much cheaper and I don't have to stand and hail a passing black cab.

                Times they are a changing.
                Jill

                Comment


                  #9
                  Originally posted by Smith7 View Post
                  I only ever use Uber when I'm in London and they have always worked well for me.

                  I feel for the black cab drivers who have had to acquire 'The Knowledge' in order to get their licence. That said, Uber is so much cheaper and I don't have to stand and hail a passing black cab.

                  Times they are a changing.
                  They certainly are.

                  We use black cabs or local taxi firms. Uber is the natural ''go-to'' for the [much] younger generation as far as I can see.

                  Comment


                    #10
                    looks like black cabs are starting to think about being part of an integrated public transports system in London.

                    Project Black Bus

                    offering blackcabs on fixed routes for £3. like a bus but better and get on/off anywhere on the route.

                    also running are "get together" services in London

                    https://gett.com/uk/gett-together/

                    and Manchester although this one may have stopped
                    https://gett.com/uk/gtt/
                    Last edited by Topdeck, London; 13th December 2017, 09:12 AM.

                    Comment


                      #11
                      I pretty much use Uber whenever I need a taxi and the service is available. The service I've had has been consistently better than the service from the established firms. They've had a monopoly on the business and this has stopped them advancing with the times.

                      I know that I don't need cash for an Uber (no trips via an ATM). I know the driver's name and vehicle registration. I've never had a dodgy route or driver who didn't know where he was going.

                      It's simply more convenient and a better service than the competitors can offer. It also means that when I travel, I can often use the same app and get the same experience without having to work out how the local taxi game works.

                      I also love that if it's busy, Uber increases the price to encourage more drivers to sign on and decrease demand. This means that even if you have to pay 1.5x, 2x the fare, you're likely to still get a ride quickly. Don't fancy waiting in a taxi queue for ages, thankyouverymuch!

                      I do have some moral qualms about the company, but until there is a viable alternative the Uber app with remain on my iPhone.
                      Last edited by dst87, Falkirk; 13th December 2017, 09:13 AM.
                      Duncan S

                      See my blog!

                      Comment


                        #12
                        Originally posted by dst87, Falkirk View Post
                        I pretty much use Uber whenever I need a taxi and the service is available. The service I've had has been consistently better than the service from the established firms. They've had a monopoly on the business and this has stopped them advancing with the times.

                        I know that I don't need cash for an Uber (no trips via an ATM). I know the driver's name and vehicle registration. I've never had a dodgy route or driver who didn't know where he was going.

                        It's simply more convenient and a better service than the competitors can offer. It also means that when I travel, I can often use the same app and get the same experience without having to work out how the local taxi game works.

                        I also love that if it's busy, Uber increases the price to encourage more drivers to sign on and decrease demand. This means that even if you have to pay 1.5x, 2x the fare, you're likely to still get a ride quickly. Don't fancy waiting in a taxi queue for ages, thankyouverymuch!

                        I do have some moral qualms about the company, but until there is a viable alternative the Uber app with remain on my iPhone.
                        Hi Duncan

                        I confess I have moral qualms re Uber, Amazon and Starbucks - fortunately there are local alternatives for most of my purchasing. I do readily concede if I was living in the Highlands Amazon would be very useful.

                        My local firm allows me to pay via their App too. I prefer to keep business local.

                        uber are responsible for the improvements made by local taxi firms.

                        Annie

                        Comment


                          #13
                          Originally posted by annie, Glasgow View Post
                          Hi Duncan

                          I confess I have moral qualms re Uber, Amazon and Starbucks - fortunately there are local alternatives for most of my purchasing. I do readily concede if I was living in the Highlands Amazon would be very useful.

                          My local firm allows me to pay via their App too. I prefer to keep business local.

                          uber are responsible for the improvements made by local taxi firms.

                          Annie
                          Of the three, Amazon is the one I couldn't live without.

                          Starbucks isn't my favourite of the big chains (Caffè Nero is the winner there) though I do get a free Starbucks drink every week through my life insurance company.

                          Uber is the most convenient, but there are other OK alternatives like Gett, though Gett isn't as universal as Uber.

                          But Amazon... I cannot imagine life without my 1-day shipping (or, recently to my location, same-day shipping). Amazon's customer support is also the best I've seen from any company of scale except Apple. And unlike taxi firms who have got better because of Uber, nobody else seems to have improved as a result of Amazon. It's millennial impatience I think, but waiting multiple days for an item is just not OK!
                          Duncan S

                          See my blog!

                          Comment


                            #14
                            Originally posted by dst87, Falkirk View Post
                            ...I do get a free Starbucks drink every week through my life insurance company.
                            Duncan, does coffee help you live longer?
                            See my cruise blog: HERE

                            Comment


                              #15
                              I find it quite ironic how many of my friends protest about poor workers rights, how the Government will dissolve them once we leave the EU, how big corporations don't pay enough tax yet they all have Apple phones, Amazon Prime subscriptions, trainers from Sports Direct, drink Starbucks and travel everywhere by Uber, but of course it's the government's fault, not theirs for supporting such companies...

                              Comment


                              We use cookies to give you the
                              best experience possible.


                              By continuing to use our website you
                              agree to our cookie policy

                              Working...
                              X