• Ahoy there! Why not join the UK’s largest cruising forum? The Cruise.co.uk forum is the perfect place to meet and interact with likeminded cruisers to have invaluable conversations. Whether you're a veteran cruiser or looking to set sail on the sea for the first time, everyone is welcome on our forum to participate in the hottest conversations in the cruising world. So, what are you waiting for? Join the forum today by clicking here to register!

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What's your view on Uber?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by dst87, Falkirk View Post
    What impact on the retail sector don’t you like? Retail can’t (or won’t) compete with Amazon... and I don’t just mean on price. Even if things were the same price in store as they were on Amazon (or slightly more expensive) I’d still use Amazon as the service is excellent. So if the tax system is sorted so Amazon have to pay more, I’d still shop with them with higher prices.

Shop closures and lost jobs. Shopping is a social interactive experience. Just look at the backlash beginning to form in the USA. Taking over Wholefoods - is there a monopoly being created? Then jack the prices up? I won't have Alexa at hone although I accept some can find it fun

Is there a danger we will become so dependent upon the Internet and fast broadband that prices will be increased again?

I also take into account how a company treats it employees. Zero or part-time contracts for employees. Ensuring employees don't work enough hours so NIC is NOT triggered and therefore not contributing to the NHS. There is an easy answer but no government wishes to take it.

Retail can get it right - look at John Lewis and Waitrose.

Annie
    Last edited by annie, Glasgow; 13th December 2017, 01:46 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by annie, Glasgow View Post
      Shop closures and lost jobs. Shopping is a social interactive experience. Just look at the backlash beginning to form in the USA. Taking over Wholefoods - is there a monopoly being created? Then jack the prices up? I won't have Alexa at hone although I accept some can find it fun

Is there a danger we will become so dependent upon the Internet and fast broadband that prices will be increased again?

I also take into account how a company treats it employees. Zero or part-time contracts for employees. Ensuring employees don't work enough hours so NIC is NOT triggered and therefore not contributing to the NHS. There is an easy answer but no government wishes to take it.

Retail can get it right - look at John Lewis and Waitrose.

Annie
      Fair comments Annie. Problem is retail is dying because people prefer shopping online. It’s more convenient, you don’t have to contend with parking etc. There are a lot of benefits, even ignoring prices.

Waitrose is excellent, I’ll give you. It’s our go-to now. John Lewis, not so much. The Edinburgh store is a disaster. Rude staff and a bizarre queuing system to talk to someone... isn’t that supposed to be the point of retail? The personal touch? Expert knowledge? Absent from John Lewis IMO. Richer Sounds - now there’s a company who have it right. Staff who know what they’re talking about!

I agree with your points on working condition etc. But to limit that criticism to online retailers is unfair as plenty of the brick and mortar stores do the same. This isn’t an Amazon problem, it’s a legislation problem. Plenty of small companies (5/6 employees) with zero-hour contracts and minimum wage jobs...

Someone could stand on a platform of increasing taxes to fund services and strengthening working conditions... but nobody will vote for them!

EDIT: I’d say we’re already depending on the internet, in more ways than people think about. That’s why the net neutrality fight in the US right now is so important.
      Duncan S

See my blog!

Comment

Fair comments Annie. Problem is retail is dying because people prefer shopping online. It’s more convenient, you don’t have to contend with parking etc. There are a lot of benefits, even ignoring prices.

Waitrose is excellent, I’ll give you. It’s our go-to now. John Lewis, not so much. The Edinburgh store is a disaster. Rude staff and a bizarre queuing system to talk to someone... isn’t that supposed to be the point of retail? The personal touch? Expert knowledge? Absent from John Lewis IMO. Richer Sounds - now there’s a company who have it right. Staff who know what they’re talking about!

I agree with your points on working condition etc. But to limit that criticism to online retailers is unfair as plenty of the brick and mortar stores do the same. This isn’t an Amazon problem, it’s a legislation problem. Plenty of small companies (5/6 employees) with zero-hour contracts and minimum wage jobs...

Someone could stand on a platform of increasing taxes to fund services and strengthening working conditions... but nobody will vote for them!

EDIT: I’d say we’re already depending on the internet, in more ways than people think about. That’s why the net neutrality fight in the US right now is so important.
        I concede that High Street retailers are no angels. Think Tesco who deliberately limit the hours offered to employees knowing that their wages will be topped up by Tax Credits. Sorry I'll stop there.

I cannot comment on JL Edinburgh but my recent experiences at the Glasgow store were excellent. In complete agreement with you on Richer Sounds.

My local Waitrose branch is exceptional and possibly the best in the UK - JMO based on comparative shopping experiences in their London area stores.

What it does show is retail can get it right if that is their goal.

Home delivery is very reliant on willing neighbours taking in deliveries. I am on 1st name terms with some courier drivers maybe it is time I went out shopping - but again I only window shop

Annie
        Last edited by annie, Glasgow; 13th December 2017, 02:28 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by 1fifthavenue, birmingham View Post
          I find it quite ironic how many of my friends protest about poor workers rights, how the Government will dissolve them once we leave the EU, how big corporations don't pay enough tax yet they all have Apple phones, Amazon Prime subscriptions, trainers from Sports Direct, drink Starbucks and travel everywhere by Uber, but of course it's the government's fault, not theirs for supporting such companies...
          As far as I am aware no one is forced to work for Sports Direct and the like and the fact remains these companies have created many, many jobs.

Amazon, Starbucks etc. are the same as us and the man in the street - none of us pays a penny more than the law demands. As I understand it the UK cannot tackle this issue alone, it requires all countries in the world to do so. Until they do Luxembourg, Ireland and the like will arrange their tax systems to encourage large corporations to headquarter their operations in those countries.

Comment

Originally posted by JohnR, Chippenham View Post
            As far as I am aware no one is forced to work for Sports Direct and the like and the fact remains these companies have created many, many jobs.

Amazon, Starbucks etc. are the same as us and the man in the street - none of us pays a penny more than the law demands. As I understand it the UK cannot tackle this issue alone, it requires all countries in the world to do so. Until they do Luxembourg, Ireland and the like will arrange their tax systems to encourage large corporations to headquarter their operations in those countries.
            Don't get me wrong John, I am not taking any kind of moral high ground here, and all of these companies operate within the law. It's the hypocritical 'outrage' I find as questionable as some of the working practices.

Comment

Sorry JohnR, Of course people are forced to work for Sports Direct etc, Otherwise what else are they going to do? They are the only jobs available at times so they don't have a choice. Good employers will offer a proper contract and look after good staff, But some of these companies are more than wiling to exploit people as much as is within the letter of the law. JMO. Jan.

Comment

Originally posted by annie, Glasgow View Post

I also take into account how a company treats it employees. Zero or part-time contracts for employees.
                Annie
                Many many folk like the freedom Zero hours contracts give them.

I don't know for sure but I expect the cruise terminal staff are on Zero hours contracts. No ships in today no need of check-in, security, baggage handlers etc. 5 ships in today many, many staff required.

I spoke to several of the boarding assistant staff when my wife was in a wheel chair following an operation and they liked the freedom to work only when they wished with the opportunity to decline to work on a particular day.

There must be many businesses with uneven work flows that need to operate on a similar basis.

Comment

Originally posted by toshtosh, Guiseley View Post
                  Currently there is an issue in York about Uber drivers licenced in other towns and cities. I did a little research and it turns out the law was changed in 2015 and a private hire driver licenced in any town can now work in any other area, as long as the journey is pre-booked.

So Uber drivers are getting licences in a low cost town and then simply working all over the place, as the Uber App is non-geographic.

https://www.theguardian.com/technolo...gmb-union-says

In Leeds there is an active team of inspectors and a strict set of controls on drivers and cars, but they are only empowered to check on Leeds taxis, they can't stop drivers from other areas.

So is it just the new way or should we be worried as to who is controlling them?

Cheers

Tony B
                  Uber clearly provides a service much appreciated by millions of people. It is "the new way".

If Uber drivers are getting licenses in "low cost" towns that has to be good. The "high cost" town will have to bring down their costs to compete.

No reason to think a "low cost" town is lax in it's requirements and controls to the extent of endangering it's citizens is there?

Comment

Originally posted by 1fifthavenue, birmingham View Post
                    Don't get me wrong John, I am not taking any kind of moral high ground here, and all of these companies operate within the law. It's the hypocritical 'outrage' I find as questionable as some of the working practices.
                    I am with you

None more hypocritical than the BBC which is forever banging about these matters and berating the companies and at the same time employs many of it's higher paid staff through outfits that can and do exploit the tax system.

Comment

Originally posted by jan lowden, sunderland (2) View Post
                      Sorry JohnR, Of course people are forced to work for Sports Direct etc, Otherwise what else are they going to do? They are the only jobs available at times so they don't have a choice. Good employers will offer a proper contract and look after good staff, But some of these companies are more than wiling to exploit people as much as is within the letter of the law. JMO. Jan.
                      I am with you Jan.

If they don't accept these jobs, they probably will be sanctioned by DWP.

On the upside, it keeps the number of registered unemployed down

Annie

Comment

Originally posted by toshtosh, Guiseley View Post
                        Currently there is an issue in York about Uber drivers licenced in other towns and cities. I did a little research and it turns out the law was changed in 2015 and a private hire driver licenced in any town can now work in any other area, as long as the journey is pre-booked.

So Uber drivers are getting licences in a low cost town and then simply working all over the place, as the Uber App is non-geographic.

https://www.theguardian.com/technolo...gmb-union-says

In Leeds there is an active team of inspectors and a strict set of controls on drivers and cars, but they are only empowered to check on Leeds taxis, they can't stop drivers from other areas.

So is it just the new way or should we be worried as to who is controlling them?

Cheers

Tony B
                        Uber has lost their taxi licence in York.

Annie

Comment

In relation to NI we are finding more and more parking restrictions in town centres which affects high street shops forcing many to close. This in turn makes people look to 'out of town' stores like Tesco and Asda and for the rest, home deliveries are the answer. I admit to shopping online - I Have just purchased a couple of large kitchen appliances and the company who delivers will take away the old ones. How convenient! They sent me a text to say the order was being processed, another to say the time the goods will be delivered and will ring me an hour before arrival to ensure I am at home. I did try to buy locally but the product wasn't available - their loss!

Comment

Originally posted by cruiser, Larne View Post
                            In relation to NI we are finding more and more parking restrictions in town centres which affects high street shops forcing many to close. This in turn makes people look to 'out of town' stores like Tesco and Asda and for the rest, home deliveries are the answer. I admit to shopping online - I Have just purchased a couple of large kitchen appliances and the company who delivers will take away the old ones. How convenient! They sent me a text to say the order was being processed, another to say the time the goods will be delivered and will ring me an hour before arrival to ensure I am at home. I did try to buy locally but the product wasn't available - their loss!
                            I think this is the key thing where retail just cannot compete. The service, convenience, and availability of products online is second-to-none. We now have access to a wealth of online resources to help identify which new appliance is right for you, but no retail store can realistically have them all. Seeing products is the big advantage of retail, so when they don’t even have the thing you want they’re already losing.

I also have the problem that some of the nicer shops turn their noses up at me because I go in with jeans and a hoodie on. Maybe I look like I can’t afford it and they don’t want to give me the time of day? I include John Lewis (Edinburgh) in this. Their loss. Online stores only care if my credit card is accepted!
                            Duncan S

See my blog!

Comment

I think this is the key thing where retail just cannot compete. The service, convenience, and availability of products online is second-to-none. We now have access to a wealth of online resources to help identify which new appliance is right for you, but no retail store can realistically have them all. Seeing products is the big advantage of retail, so when they don’t even have the thing you want they’re already losing.

I also have the problem that some of the nicer shops turn their noses up at me because I go in with jeans and a hoodie on. Maybe I look like I can’t afford it and they don’t want to give me the time of day? I include John Lewis (Edinburgh) in this. Their loss. Online stores only care if my credit card is accepted!
                              Sounds like a scene from Prettty Woman Duncan

Back to retail not displaying all stock alternatives. What is the current wheeze - customers visit physical stores, examine the goods and return home and order them from some retailer like AO !

Annie

Comment

Originally posted by jan lowden, sunderland (2) View Post
                                Our taxi company has an App, Its fine for the young and more computer savvy older customers. But a lot of customers cant get by with our automated booking system and want to speak to a "real" person. The best thing about an old fashioned booking by phone is all calls are recorded, So any doubt / complaint can be looked into promptly and efficiently. Also all licensed Hackney carriages are regulated by the council and are constantly checked out, both drivers (who are all CRB checked) and their cars/cabs. Jan.
                                Our council are hot on the private hire they wander round town in packs stopping them and doing checks.

Why it needs 4 of them to check one cab I have no idea, saw them the other day 3 of the 4 discussing some dirt on the door of an otherwise clean cab.

Comment

We use cookies to give you the
                                best experience possible.

By continuing to use our website you
                                agree to our cookie policy

Working...
                                X