• Ahoy there! Why not join the UK’s largest cruising forum? The Cruise.co.uk forum is the perfect place to meet and interact with likeminded cruisers to have invaluable conversations. Whether you're a veteran cruiser or looking to set sail on the sea for the first time, everyone is welcome on our forum to participate in the hottest conversations in the cruising world. So, what are you waiting for? Join the forum today by clicking here to register!

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Architecural follies worth visiting.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• toshtosh, Guiseley
    started a topic Architecural follies worth visiting.

Architecural follies worth visiting.

As more cruise itineraries are released around the UK it set me thinking about where these cruisers might visit on an excursion. One thought might be a tour of architectural Follies. They may also be places fellow forum members might find interesting.

In architecture, a folly is a building constructed primarily for decoration, but suggesting through its appearance some other purpose, or of such extravagant appearance that it transcends the range of garden ornaments usually associated with the class of buildings to which it belongs.

Although not exactly by the coast I immediately thought of a couple in Yorkshire.

The first is just outside Halifax and is called Wainhouse Tower. It is the tallest folly in the world - according to Wikipedia,- and on a few days of the year it is open for the public to climb its 403 steps to the observation platform. (It has been seen on Happy Valley).

https://www.calderdale.gov.uk/wtw/so...wainhouse.html

The second is a collection of follies in the Forbidden Corner in Middleham, Near Leyburn in North Yorkshire.

The Forbidden Corner is a unique labyrinth of tunnels, chambers, follies and surprises created within a four acre garden in the heart of Tupgill Park and the Yorkshire Dales. A tourist visitor attraction unlike anywhere that you have been before, ideal for the adventurers and those young at heart!

The Forbidden Corner | Tourist Attraction in North Yorkshire

Note - if you visit the Forbidden Corner you need to pre-purchase your tickets from the sales office in Middleham - a few miles away.

Note 2 - The F C is an ideal place for grandparents to take their grandchildren and be as creative as you like with your stories.

So the obvious question to forum members is do you have a folly near you to recommend for this excursion?

Actually I am being a little selfish because I am planning a UK touring holiday and enjoy visiting quirky attractions.

(The idea of the excursion was just to make it relevant to the forum)

Cheers

Tony B
    Last edited by toshtosh, Guiseley; 16th May 2017, 07:50 AM.

• History Addict, Alfreton
    replied
    Originally posted by 1fifthavenue, birmingham View Post
    Hi Sue, visited the Tramway museum, with a friend whilst camping near Amber Gate / Codnor, used to spend a lot of time around Codnor / Waingroves / Ripley. Some of the nicest, most genuine people and beautiful countryside round there
    That's all my neck of the woods - Codnor and Ripley both within 5 miles and Ambergate just a little further! We're right on the doorstep of the beautiful Peak District and folk around here are some of the friendliest in the country. But then I am a little biased.

Leave a comment:

• toshtosh, Guiseley
    replied
    Suggestions so far are excellent and going in the to visit file. (Sydney may be a while yet).
    Keep the suggestions coming - any follies north of the border or would a visit be a folly in itself? (TIC)

Alison has just suggested that Southampton town centre (as the main UK port for cruises from Hamburg and Le Havre) is one big architectural folly - can you convince her otherwise?

cheers

Tony B

Leave a comment:

• 1fifthavenue, birmingham
    replied
    Originally posted by History Addict, Alfreton View Post
    I haven't been to Crich Stand in many years but can highly recommend a trip to Crich. Not only there is a stunning view from the monument but also next door you have the excellent National Tram Museum.

It is local to us - you can see the monument for miles around in any direction.
    Hi Sue, visited the Tramway museum, with a friend whilst camping near Amber Gate / Codnor, used to spend a lot of time around Codnor / Waingroves / Ripley. Some of the nicest, most genuine people and beautiful countryside round there

Leave a comment:

replied
    Originally posted by 1fifthavenue, birmingham View Post
    I haven't been to Crich Stand in many years but can highly recommend a trip to Crich. Not only there is a stunning view from the monument but also next door you have the excellent National Tram Museum.

It is local to us - you can see the monument for miles around in any direction.

Leave a comment:

• 1fifthavenue, birmingham
    replied
    Perrott's folly in Birmingham
    Birmingham's Hidden Spaces: Perrott's Folly a source of intrigue and inspiration - Birmingham Post

And although a memorial, not technically a folly, the Sherwood Foresters at Crich
    Crich memorial The sherwood foresters world war memorial. Crich stand crich war memorial

Leave a comment:

replied
    I would like to nominate the Palace of Knossos on Crete as an architectural folly of interest to cruisers.

Whilst appearing to fall outside the definition, it is a structure built from the original building remains purely for decoration with the suggestion of previous use with, as far as I could understand, a large degree of artistic interpretation and little concern for true historic representation. As a historic monument, the place makes me angry however viewed in the light of a folly I can just about recommend it.

Leave a comment:

• mauden, billingham
    replied
    We used to take my grandson and his friend to Forbidden Corner when they were younger , they loved it , must say I rather enjoyed it myself .

Leave a comment:

• ilovesunshine, east yorks
    replied
    Forbidden corner is a fabulous place to visit especially if you have children with you. Hard to describe if you have never been. My grandchildren love it there and not a theme park ride in sight . We have seen a few follies around the world. The most memorable was in a park in Sydney. We were admiring Mrs Maguires folly when we're were attacked by bats.

Leave a comment:

• Bradbury, Coventry
    replied
    I haven't been yet, but plan to later this year
    Hawkstone Follies Near Shrewsbury
    Home - Hawkstone Park

Leave a comment:

• Guy, Ormskirk
    replied
    According to Wikipedia it does!..

It may be covered by ...'extravagant appearance..... of garden ornament'...Carol

Leave a comment:

• toshtosh, Guiseley
    replied
    Great, and I have visited it a few years ago, but does it qualify as a folly?

Remember the definition.

In architecture, a folly is a building constructed primarily for decoration, but suggesting through its appearance some other purpose, or of such extravagant appearance that it transcends the range of garden ornaments usually associated with the class of buildings to which it belongs.

So come on folks - or is it only Yorkshire that shines in the world of follies?

Cheers

Tony B

Leave a comment:

• Guy, Ormskirk
    replied
    If you are in the Lancaster area then have a look at the Ashton Memorial in Williamson Park.

It is easily spotted as a landmark from the M6 and was completed in 1909 as a memorial to Lord Ahton's wife. It is a beautiful building in a lovely park and has a butterfly house and tiny small animal area to wander around adjacent to it. There is a cafe if you want to have a snack or coffee.

Climb to the viewing gallery on the first floor for stunning views across Morecombe Bay.

My daughter was married there so I have a special affinity for the building...Carol

Leave a comment:

• toshtosh, Guiseley
    replied
    Originally posted by rdw123, peterborough View Post
    Have you ever looked at Landmark Trust? They let out unusual buildings for holidays. We have had several holidays in unusual places, usually difficult to find! We stayed in Knole House once down Derbyshire way. That was quirky it has a brick summerhouse which is your lounge. Their properties are very comfortable but they do not have televisions. Was lovely to walk in the woods listening to the owls instead.
    Thanks for that - will keep it in mind

Cheers

Tony B

Leave a comment:

• rdw123, peterborough
    replied
    Have you ever looked at Landmark Trust? They let out unusual buildings for holidays. We have had several holidays in unusual places, usually difficult to find! We stayed in Knole House once down Derbyshire way. That was quirky it has a brick summerhouse which is your lounge. Their properties are very comfortable but they do not have televisions. Was lovely to walk in the woods listening to the owls instead.

Leave a comment:

We use cookies to give you the
best experience possible.

By continuing to use our website you
agree to our cookie policy

Working...
X