• Ahoy there! Why not join the UK’s largest cruising forum? The Cruise.co.uk forum is the perfect place to meet and interact with likeminded cruisers to have invaluable conversations. Whether you're a veteran cruiser or looking to set sail on the sea for the first time, everyone is welcome on our forum to participate in the hottest conversations in the cruising world. So, what are you waiting for? Join the forum today by clicking here to register!

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What's your big idea?......

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What's your big idea?......

I have started to write my autobiography. It is going to be a long project, but using the template in MS Word allows me to flit back and forth revising and developing chapters as I go along. Of course principally this is for the benefit of my daughter and grandson but it also pushes me to explore memories long forgotten - definitely not a vanity project. I suppose it will resemble a family tree but with extended friends and adventures thrown in.

As you write (type) it is a bit like the spider falling in the inkwell - one thought generates another and so on. It needs a bit of discipline to follow these strands (without overlooking them) and keep them in context.

Of course I benefit immensely as well by reliving events long since forgotten.

Anyone else doing (have done) this?

LMM

Lawnmowerman

My cousin 2 years younger than me and stayed local (Strathpeffer) to my mums side of the family for a lot longer than us had a far better memory of a lot of events than I will ever have, lost her a while back now and we realised too late.

​​​​None is written down an probably lost for ever.

As well as a narrative you could try a calender to jot down notes of things that come up as memory joggers/todo list.
    Often the chronology can trigger new memories.

Comment

Originally posted by Topdeck, London View Post
      My cousin 2 years younger than me and stayed local (Strathpeffer) to my mums side of the family for a lot longer than us had a far better memory of a lot of events than I will ever have, lost her a while back now and we realised too late.

​​​​None is written down an probably lost for ever.

As well as a narrative you could try a calender to jot down notes of things that come up as memory joggers/todo list.
      Often the chronology can trigger new memories.
      Yes, thanks TD - good idea.

LMM

Lawnmowerman

Comment

My eldest brother in New Jersey is researching our family tree. Our ancestors were from Sweden and Germany on my dad’s side and from Ireland from my mother’s side. I had heard years ago from my aunt that my Swedish great grandparents met on the ship going from Sweden to NY and fell in love. By the time they arrived in NY they were either engaged or were well on the way to it. He was a crew member and she was a passenger but I don’t know if they had the same rules about not fraternising with the other side back in 1900 as they do now. It certainly makes for interesting reading. I have a monumental task ahead of me at some point. We have thousands of family photos that need to be either boxed or put in albums and catalogued.

Take care and stay well. Helen

Comment

Won’t comment about ‘merits’ of an ‘autobiography’. My mum, encouraged by her special granddaughter (my daughter) started recording her life story in m****cript without posing with eloquent articulation during her last five years of life and left just short of 200 A4 pages. Emotionally wonderful. That prompted me to start keeping a contemporaneous m****cript record, notes, of ‘moments’ shared between my wife and I with our special granddaughter (who is now 13). Now have 185 A4 pages; now in a sealed envelope My granddaughter will be given when she is 18 and, if later, I am no more.

Comment

No idea why “m****cript” came out as “ m****script”!

Comment

M A N U S C R I P T. Perhaps Cruisedot don’t understand the word in this IT world.

Comment

Originally posted by tdb, Brentwood View Post
                No idea why “m****cript” came out as “ m****script”!
                That is very funny! I wonder what other words it freaks out on? 😁

Comment

Many thanks Helen. I really don’t understand wha ‘m****cript’ (M****CRIPT) came out - twice - as ‘m****script.

Comment

It did it again!! OK Cruisedot, you force me to type M A N U SC R I P T whenever I mean M****CRIPt

Comment

Could it be because of the 4 letters which are being replaced by asterisks!

Comment

Originally posted by Sparkle, UK View Post
                        That makes A HOLE lot of sense! * 😉😉 nudge nudge . Puts me in mind of Preparation H 🤣 Oops!

Comment

Originally posted by Sparkle, UK View Post
                          Good thinking. I’ll check with my cockerel.

Comment

A good idea, a friend of mine did this a while ago and she said it was amazing what memories surfaced as she did it. Things she had forgotten about.

Have to say my sister who is nearly three years younger than me seems to remember far more than I do about our childhood. We remember different things but I suppose memory is selective.

Comment

Originally posted by tdb, Brentwood View Post

Good thinking. I’ll check with my cockerel.

Dick Whittington was alright for some at the quiz last night...

Comment

We use cookies to give you the
                              best experience possible.

By continuing to use our website you
                              agree to our cookie policy

Working...
                              X