• Ahoy there! Why not join the UK’s largest cruising forum? The Cruise.co.uk forum is the perfect place to meet and interact with likeminded cruisers to have invaluable conversations. Whether you're a veteran cruiser or looking to set sail on the sea for the first time, everyone is welcome on our forum to participate in the hottest conversations in the cruising world. So, what are you waiting for? Join the forum today by clicking here to register!

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Lockdown TV, What is/has been your favourite

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Lockdown TV, What is/has been your favourite

I can tell I'm bored. I am beginning to watch the television ''live'' as opposed to recording to watch later.

Ch 5 has been our go to channel this year.

All Creatures Great and Small
    Our Yorkshire Farm
    Escape to the Farm
    This week on the Farm

Bit of a theme emerging here

Oh and Susan Calman

Add Drew Pritchard into the mix with his antique hunting, plus The Repair shop and add a dollop of QI and and that's been our ''live'' television menu.

As an avid cook, I have also discovered a Youtube sensation. James May in the bug-out bunker Kitchen. His Pimp my Beans Master Class made sure his spam'n beans on toast MUST go down as gourmet par excellence.

Anyone got anything to share worth watching from non pay for view television or internet?

Try Schitts Creek on Netflix - very funny.

Comment

Originally posted by lucy, sutton View Post
      Try Schitts Creek on Netflix - very funny.
      So I've heard, but don't you have to pay for Netflix?
      My choices are all non pay to view as there are some strange folk like me, who don't pay for their television viewing apart from the BBC licence [ignore Sky Sports which we have in one room asit's an item I have never used].

Comment

Originally posted by Mrs M View Post
        I can tell I'm bored. I am beginning to watch the television ''live'' as opposed to recording to watch later.

Ch 5 has been our go to channel this year.

All Creatures Great and Small
        Our Yorkshire Farm
        Escape to the Farm
        This week on the Farm

Bit of a theme emerging here

Oh and Susan Calman

Add Drew Pritchard into the mix with his antique hunting, plus The Repair shop and add a dollop of QI and and that's been our ''live'' television menu.

As an avid cook, I have also discovered a Youtube sensation. James May in the bug-out bunker Kitchen. His Pimp my Beans Master Class made sure his spam'n beans on toast MUST go down as gourmet par excellence.

Anyone got anything to share worth watching from non pay for view television or internet?
        Have you tried the Yorkshire Vet , Rocky Mountain Vet, the Supervet and the other vet programmes. I love watching all of these.

I also like to watch GP practice type programmes and watch in amazement at the number of patients that come in with such trivial ailments. It must be really boring for the GP to have to go through stubbed toes, a bit of a cough/cold, feeling a bit down, with the occasional genuine case for the GP's attention. There are so many old folk who just want to come in for a bit of chat as well, with nothing much wrong with them. No wonder the NHS is in a mess and you couldn't get an appointment before Covid 19 happened. Now pretty much everything is on the phone or video link appointment, then you can get 5 minutes with a doctor if required. However, more recently the government has started to make suggestions that GP's get back to something like normality with more in person consultations, with the right PPE.

Comment

Yes. Have seen some GP programmes and am happy to see lovely medical staff looking after their patients.

However, this was posted as a light-hearted, golly I'm bored stiff, non confrontational, silly, non cruising thread, just because non of us are cruising and most of us have another few weeks of utter boredom to add to the months of burgeoning boredom earlier on in the year.

All gripes can be aired on a Gripe Thread.

Comment

Like you Mrs M, I watch all the farming programmes. Added to your list for me is Jimmy's Farm My Little Farm (with Kate Humble) and Friday on the Farm.

I also enjoy all the medical programmes including Doctor Pimple Popper and The Bad Skin Clinic.

As history interests me too, I've been watching The History of the Tower on Thursday evenings. Channel 5 certainly has a lot to offer during these 'stop at home' times.
            Jill

Comment

We have been recording all the old Spooks, Morse, Lewis, Vera etc. Better than a lot of the junk currently being made. My OH is currently binge watching old Christmas moves on 5. That's why I'm on my lap top!

Comment

Our go-to free to view channel is Walter Presents, which is part of All4. It is packed with foreign language programmes from around the world and has some fantastic crime dramas. We have recently watched The Lawyer and Stockholm Requiem. The programmes are subtitled but we don't mind that!

Another unusual free channel is Talking Pictures. This is a family business, run by people who wanted to preserve the best of lesser known old British films and TV series. Fascinating if you like the idea of delving into the archives.

Comment

We had thread early in the first lockdown.

Focus was on horror/pandemic series for a while.

Caught up on most
                  Walking dead work beyond is current.

Man in high castle was hard going that is paused.

Trying Truth seekers.

Going to resurrect and finish
                  homecoming
                  Handmaid's tail
                  Mrs Maisal

still to start
                  VIKINGS.

Worth a watch
                  HANNA
                  PICARD

Just picked up the calman scotland new series.
                  And going to pick up his dark materials series2

There are others weekly filling gaps like only connect, last leg etc.

Comment

We've also been watching Father Ted, which is currently available free on All4.

If you're not familiar with it, it's a comedy from the 1990s and it follows the misadventures of three Roman Catholic priests exiled on Craggy Island for previous misdemeanors.

We've re-watched all the episodes many times over the years and we still laugh out loud at it.

Comment

We don’t pay for any TV our main TV is watched via FreeSat, we recently acquired a new TV which has a number of the pay to view channels built in including Netflix, which we are able to view FOC via our sons Amazon account.

Although the TV never seems to be off in this home, my wife being in charge of the remotes. I only tend to view it via one eye and that’s the one with limited vision, the other eye fixed firmly on my iPad and you tube via, sound via a decent set of headphones.

My wife tends not to flick around the channels, when not watching her favourite live channels, choosing ITV3 and the Drama Channel, watching programmes such as Endeavour, Inspector George Gently, Line Of Duty etc.

She loves her costume drama, during Lockdown we have have the whole 5 series of Poldark, series 1-4 she has recorded, series 5 a box set after which it has been Downton Abbey she watched the last episode this afternoon. I asked her what’s next she said probably Poldark again.

In Bed she watches Sky drama channel on her phone via our daughters account.

I just keep taking the tablets.😳😎
                      Last edited by Delboy, Essex; 14th November 2020, 06:39 PM.
                      Delboy

Photo Albums

https://www.flickriver.com/photos/delboyalbums/sets/

or

https://www.flickr.com/photos/delboyalbums/albums

Comment

Originally posted by sandraggg, Newcastle View Post
                        We've also been watching Father Ted, which is currently available free on All4.

If you're not familiar with it, it's a comedy from the 1990s and it follows the misadventures of three Roman Catholic priests exiled on Craggy Island for previous misdemeanors.

We've re-watched all the episodes many times over the years and we still laugh out loud at it.
                        Golly, I loved that programme years ago and I never knew why the three were altogether on Craggy Island.

Comment

Originally posted by sandraggg, Newcastle View Post
                          Our go-to free to view channel is Walter Presents, which is part of All4. It is packed with foreign language programmes from around the world and has some fantastic crime dramas. We have recently watched The Lawyer and Stockholm Requiem. The programmes are subtitled but we don't mind that!

Another unusual free channel is Talking Pictures. This is a family business, run by people who wanted to preserve the best of lesser known old British films and TV series. Fascinating if you like the idea of delving into the archives.
                          Hi Sandra.
                          I have a Smart telly...with Freeview,Virgin ,,,,,,,where do I find All4,,is that the channel I’m looking for.

ps I signed up for the 30 day free trial with Amazon Prime this morning just to get the Autumn Nations Cup rugby.
                          JC
                          Last edited by jc, liverpool; 14th November 2020, 06:07 PM.
                          C P Scott,,,,,"Comment is Free,,but Facts are Sacred"
                          "You are entitled to your opinion. But you are not entitled to your own facts.

Comment

Originally posted by Topdeck, London View Post
                            We had thread early in the first lockdown.

Focus was on horror/pandemic series for a while.

Caught up on most
                            Walking dead work beyond is current.
                            That’ll be us by the time we get back to cruising 😂

Comment

Originally posted by jc, liverpool View Post
                              Hi Sandra.
                              I have a Smart telly...with Freeview,Virgin ,,,,,,,where do I find All4,,is that the channel I’m looking for.

ps I signed up for the 30 day free trial with Amazon Prime this morning just to get the Autumn Nations Cup rugby.
                              JC
                              All 4 is the channel 4 streaming service, do you not have the choice as one of the selections along with Amazon, iplayer, now tv, etc.

Just watched the rugby on my small laptop screen, then switched on tv to watch a film and saw it was on Prime
                              Last edited by andyn, Bucks; 14th November 2020, 06:41 PM.

Comment

We use cookies to give you the
                              best experience possible.

By continuing to use our website you
                              agree to our cookie policy

Working...
                              X