• Ahoy there! Why not join the UK’s largest cruising forum? The Cruise.co.uk forum is the perfect place to meet and interact with likeminded cruisers to have invaluable conversations. Whether you're a veteran cruiser or looking to set sail on the sea for the first time, everyone is welcome on our forum to participate in the hottest conversations in the cruising world. So, what are you waiting for? Join the forum today by clicking here to register!

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The Mayonnaise Jar

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Mayonnaise Jar

When things in your life seem almost to much to handle, When 24 hours a day is not enough;
    remember the mayonnaise jar and two cups of coffee.

A professor stood before his philosophy class
    and had some items in front of him.

When the class began he picked up a very large mayonnaise jar and started to fill it with golf balls.

He then asked the students if the jar was full - they agreed that it was.

The professor then picked up a box of pebbles and poured them into the jar, he shook the jar lightly.
    The pebbles rolled into the open area's between the golf balls.

He then asked the students again if the jar was full, they agreed that it was.

The professor then picked up a box of sand and poured that into the jar, the sand filled up everything else. He asked once more if the jar was full.... The students that it was.

The professor then produced two cups of coffee from under the table and poured the contents into the jar filling the empty space between the sand.

Now said the professor - I want you to recognise that this jar represents your life.

The golf balls are the important things - God, family, children, health, friends, and favourite passions. Things that if everything else was lost and only they remained your life would still be full.

The pebbles are the things that matter like your job, house or car.

The sand is everything else - The small stuff.

If you put the sand into the jar first, there is no room for the pebbles or the golf balls - The same goes for life.

If you spend all your time and energy on the small stuff, you will never have time for the things that are important to you.

So... Pay attention to the things that are critical to your happiness.

Play with your children/grandchildren, take time to get medical checkups and take your Golf Cub managers out to lunch.

There will always be time to clean the house and fix the dripping tap.

Take care of the golf balls first - the things that realy matter. Set your priorities. The rest is just sand.

One of the students raised her hand and asked what the coffee represented. The professor smiled: 'I'm glad you asked'.

It just goes to show that no matter how full your life may seem , there's always room for a couple of cups of coffee with a friend.
    sigpic
    Cruisings Cool

Brilliant, Just Brilliant... I love it.

Comment

Great stuff Barrowman. Thanks!

Comment

... but where does the mayonnaise go..?

Comment

Originally posted by Pomplemous, Pomplemous View Post
          ... but where does the mayonnaise go..?
          On your chips.

Comment

great Barrowman just love it. very thought provoking.
            don't want to work, just want to cruise.

Comment

While since I read this, always a good piece to set perspectives
              sigpic
              Twitter: @cruisegrant l Blog: cruisegrant.wordpress.com l
              Next cruises: Celebrity Eclipse (May 2015)
              Past 6 years: Independence of the Seas (x3), Queen Mary 2 (x7), Celebrity Eclipse (x2), NCL Norwegian Jade, P&O Aurora (2), NCL Getaway
              Ship Visits: MSC Opera, HAL Ryndam, Royal Princess, MSC Magnifica

Comment

I loved this. What a great way to look at your life. I will show this to my sons!

Comment

Not heard any better

I think we all appreciate logical thought like that and so neatly put as well. If only all professors lectures could be like that we would all have listened and learned so much more, unfortunately that is seldom the case.

It reminded me of a sermon I heard when I was a student in London given by the famous Donald Soper:

The local vicar was wandering down through his village when he met old Bill. Bill was only seen in church for weddings and funerals so the vicar said to him, "That's a wonderful garden that you and God have got there."
                  Bill, looked at the garden and then at the vicar and said, "Thank you, Vicar, but you should have seen it when God had it to himself." ......Neil

Comment

one hundred and ten percent BRILLIANT

Originally posted by Barrowman, Bedford View Post
                    When things in your life seem almost to much to handle, When 24 hours a day is not enough;
                    remember the mayonnaise jar and two cups of coffee.

A professor stood before his philosophy class
                    and had some items in front of him.

When the class began he picked up a very large mayonnaise jar and started to fill it with golf balls.

He then asked the students if the jar was full - they agreed that it was.

The professor then picked up a box of pebbles and poured them into the jar, he shook the jar lightly.
                    The pebbles rolled into the open area's between the golf balls.

He then asked the students again if the jar was full, they agreed that it was.

The professor then picked up a box of sand and poured that into the jar, the sand filled up everything else. He asked once more if the jar was full.... The students that it was.

The professor then produced two cups of coffee from under the table and poured the contents into the jar filling the empty space between the sand.

Now said the professor - I want you to recognise that this jar represents your life.

The golf balls are the important things - God, family, children, health, friends, and favourite passions. Things that if everything else was lost and only they remained your life would still be full.

The pebbles are the things that matter like your job, house or car.

The sand is everything else - The small stuff.

If you put the sand into the jar first, there is no room for the pebbles or the golf balls - The same goes for life.

If you spend all your time and energy on the small stuff, you will never have time for the things that are important to you.

So... Pay attention to the things that are critical to your happiness.

Play with your children/grandchildren, take time to get medical checkups and take your Golf Cub managers out to lunch.

There will always be time to clean the house and fix the dripping tap.

Take care of the golf balls first - the things that realy matter. Set your priorities. The rest is just sand.

One of the students raised her hand and asked what the coffee represented. The professor smiled: 'I'm glad you asked'.

It just goes to show that no matter how full your life may seem , there's always room for a couple of cups of coffee with a friend.
                    - ta muchley

Comment

lol, a great quote Neil

Originally posted by Neil Down, Southampton View Post
                      I think we all appreciate logical thought like that and so neatly put as well. If only all professors lectures could be like that we would all have listened and learned so much more, unfortunately that is seldom the case.

It reminded me of a sermon I heard when I was a student in London given by the famous Donald Soper:

The local vicar was wandering down through his village when he met old Bill. Bill was only seen in church for weddings and funerals so the vicar said to him, "That's a wonderful garden that you and God have got there."
                      Bill, looked at the garden and then at the vicar and said, "Thank you, Vicar, but you should have seen it when God had it to himself." ......Neil
                      Would do well on a placard outside every garden.:p

Comment

We use cookies to give you the
                      best experience possible.

By continuing to use our website you
                      agree to our cookie policy

Working...
                      X