• Ahoy there! Why not join the UK’s largest cruising forum? The Cruise.co.uk forum is the perfect place to meet and interact with likeminded cruisers to have invaluable conversations. Whether you're a veteran cruiser or looking to set sail on the sea for the first time, everyone is welcome on our forum to participate in the hottest conversations in the cruising world. So, what are you waiting for? Join the forum today by clicking here to register!

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Where do you keep your cruising clothes?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Where do you keep your cruising clothes?

It's quite a problem, now we've moved.....we had wardrobes, rails- even a small dressing room- in our last house, but now, especially as we're waiting for builders, decorators etc, trying to find rail room for long dresses, skirts, evening trousers and tops- and I seem to have gained a drawer full of pashimas, evening bags, sarongs etc- is quite a problem.
    I'm thinking about folding everything and putting them in one vast suitcase.
    Do you cram everything into your wardrobes- and do you have a cruising drawer?
    Jo.

Hi Jo

Would it surprise you if I said that I don't have any special cruising clothes??

Whether on sea or land - the same wardrobe does.

Annie

Comment

Hi Jo

My bedroom needs a good sort out. I have my best long dresses in a wardrobe on their own, but everything else is all over the place.

Don't you like the formal dining Annie. I never seem to go anywhere nice enough to wear my 'posh frocks' too when I'm at home, so they just have to wait until the next cruise............................................ ..................Carol

Comment

Originally posted by carol, welwyn garden city View Post
        Hi Jo

My bedroom needs a good sort out. I have my best long dresses in a wardrobe on their own, but everything else is all over the place.

Don't you like the formal dining Annie. I never seem to go anywhere nice enough to wear my 'posh frocks' too when I'm at home, so they just have to wait until the next cruise............................................ ..................Carol
        'Posh Frocks' - I don't own any

My standard is black bottom half and coloured top half or maybe black. Slip on a string of pearls - that's me done. No handbag - slip what I need into trouser pocket - sorted.

Annie

Comment

Originally posted by Jocap, Cumbria View Post
          It's quite a problem, now we've moved.....we had wardrobes, rails- even a small dressing room- in our last house, but now, especially as we're waiting for builders, decorators etc, trying to find rail room for long dresses, skirts, evening trousers and tops- and I seem to have gained a drawer full of pashimas, evening bags, sarongs etc- is quite a problem.
          The only clothes which I would say are more cruising than 'home' clothes are some of my long dresses as I don't need too many 'long' at home.
          Can I suggest vacuum storage bags as a start. I store most of my woollen stuff in them over the summer as they're sealed and roll/vacuum into a small space.

Comment

As the sole occupier of a home that once held seven people I have spread out to fill the space. Have to make drawer space when the children visit.

I do have some evening clothes only worn when cruising. Since I no longer work my best clothes seldom see light of day except on holiday.

I tend to wear those I can dog walk in or don't mind them sitting on or tugging at!!

When my husband retired I used to nag him for pottering in the same clothes- now I do the same!

Comment

Originally posted by annie, Glasgow View Post
              'Posh Frocks' - I don't own any

My standard is black bottom half and coloured top half or maybe black. Slip on a string of pearls - that's me done. No handbag - slip what I need into trouser pocket - sorted.

Annie
              And I bet you look as presentable as any. I often feel less than comfortable about my outfit and know if I kept it simple I would look and feel better.

Comment

I have to have suitable clothes, being an unfashionable person.....if it wasn't for my friends, I'd always be in the same old jeans and tops. They sort me out,and tell me when there's a long dress to fit me- usually in a charity shop. 2 friends have guided me into Oxfam for stoles, which are hanging from a picture rail right now.....
                I've told this story before: I had to go to a very posh wedding, with royalty, celebs etc and was reviewing my dull wardrobe. Several of the staff at school spent their dinner hours guiding me round Wakefield market, buying material, then making me a suitable dress, jacket and even covering a hat shape for me. I had to obey their orders for navy shoes, tights, bag.....and it was a good idea, because I ended up on the top table. I don't think I ever wore the outfit again, but the matching scarf entered my cruising wardrobe.....
                Jo.

Comment

I have to have suitable clothes, being an unfashionable person.....if it wasn't for my friends, I'd always be in the same old jeans and tops. They sort me out,and tell me when there's a long dress to fit me- usually in a charity shop. 2 friends have guided me into Oxfam for stoles, which are hanging from a picture rail right now.....
                  I've told this story before: I had to go to a very posh wedding, with royalty, celebs etc and was reviewing my dull wardrobe. Several of the staff at school spent their dinner hours guiding me round Wakefield market, buying material, then making me a suitable dress, jacket and even covering a hat shape for me. I had to obey their orders for navy shoes, tights, bag.....and it was a good idea, because I ended up on the top table. I don't think I ever wore the outfit again, but the matching scarf entered my cruising wardrobe.....
                  It can be a good idea to get the advise of others - they see more of us than we do. My husband was always good at giving feedback on my outfits. I sometimes ask my daughters for advise. I'm not always pleased with their feedback- they are not as indulgent as their Dad was!

Comment

Originally posted by Lacey, Wirral View Post
                    And I bet you look as presentable as any. I often feel less than comfortable about my outfit and know if I kept it simple I would look and feel better.
                    Thank you Lacey - yes I do simply because I am comfortable.

Annie

Comment

I keep mine in the attic Jo. There's a wardrobe up there where I store all my cruise clothes & OH built a hanging rail so I can hang things that are too long for the wardrobe.
                      Actually I now store my summer or winter wear there now too to free up space in the bedroom.....stops OH complaining about having no space for his stuff, although I have to confess that other than his dinner suit & kilt, all his clothes (summer & winter) fit just fine in his allotted space in the wardrobe

TARKAH

Comment

From the lone male point of view,all my shirts short and long sleeved are in drawers under the bed in the spare room.My tux and dress shirts are in plastic bags in the wardrobe in the other small bedroom.My wife has three wardrobes and the drawers under our bed,shoes fill the bottom of all the wardrobes.

jim

Comment

We have a large double warbrobe in one of our spare bedrooms where I store my long dresses, wraps, dancing shoes, bags etc. and of course there is space for my husband to store his tux, dress shirts, shoes etc. Packing for a cruise is relatively easy as most of the things we want to take are all in one place. Happy future cruising.
                          Oriana
                          Oceana
                          Ventura
                          Queen Mary 2
                          Queen Victoria
                          Queen Elizabeth

Comment

We keep our Cruise things in a storage facility in Southampton.We rent the room on an annual basis.There is no way we could travel back and forth to Cyprus with the amount of things we take on our longer cruises. So most of it is suitcases and when we arrive for our next cruise we will take the clothes to our hotel.We then have the dry cleaning done and any pressing and things before we join the ship. It is all returned back into storage on our return.
                            I think if I ever stop cruising I could start a dress hire with amount of clothes I have.

Comment

Originally posted by Lacey, Wirral View Post
                              I do have some evening clothes only worn when cruising. Since I no longer work my best clothes seldom see light of day except on holiday.

I tend to wear those I can dog walk in or don't mind them sitting on or tugging at!!

When my husband retired I used to nag him for pottering in the same clothes- now I do the same!
                              I'm exactly the same Mrs Lacey. Since I retired I've more than halved my washing and ironing, because I don't need to wear a different outfit every day and things don't get as grubby as they did at school. A denim skirt and a top suitable for the weather and that's me sorted at home.

Cruise clothes live in the wardrobe in the spare room (with the stuff that will fit me one day!) although the long dresses get an outing a few times in the dinner dance season. Judith

Comment

We use cookies to give you the
                              best experience possible.

By continuing to use our website you
                              agree to our cookie policy

Working...
                              X