• Ahoy there! Why not join the UK’s largest cruising forum? The Cruise.co.uk forum is the perfect place to meet and interact with likeminded cruisers to have invaluable conversations. Whether you're a veteran cruiser or looking to set sail on the sea for the first time, everyone is welcome on our forum to participate in the hottest conversations in the cruising world. So, what are you waiting for? Join the forum today by clicking here to register!

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Nails

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Balmcake, Leeds (2)
    started a topic Nails

Nails

Has anyone got any tips for natural nails, I grew mine to about a quarter of an inch over the end of my fingers but filed them down because they kept catching now they are about a16th of an inch over the end and typical three of them split across the nail bed 'ouch' so I used the tea bag nail glue method to repair them, I am going to buy some silk wraps to cover them and hopefully strengthen them until the split grows out, has anyone got any tips on how to remove the hard glue without damaging natural nails? I bought some crackle nail polish from QVC and put it over a pearl white enamel to cover the imperfections which worked, because a lady in the Levi's shop and one in Debenhams said 'they liked my nails' the crackle polish is very good for hiding things.
    Wendy

• Neil Down, Southampton
    replied
    Originally posted by Mrs M View Post
    Thanks Nail, or if you're from the rest of the UK [and depending of course on accent], Neil.

It's marvellous the way we garner these little bon mots over the years and I'm sure I'm not the only one who feels the information re your own nail status plus of course, your ear investigation habits have enhanced this thread and totally added to the forum cruising bank tips.

May your nails never break or snag and may you continue to investigate your ears with the required perfect length of finger nail.
    It has been my pleasure to add to this surprisingly agile thread. It has turned more corners than a newspaper delivery boy on a bike.

And may your forefinger never become a fivefinger. Cutically yours.....Neil

Leave a comment:

• Mrs M
    replied
    Originally posted by Neil Down, Southampton View Post
    Why is it that my nails seldom if ever break unless I am being stupid and turning screws with the because I can't be bothered to get a screwdriver; the tool that is not the drink?

I grow them to about 1/8 to a 1/4 of an inch above my finger and never need superglue.

I have to admit that I like the Chinese habit of growing each of the little finger nails a little longer so that I can investigate the inside of my ears to my satisfaction.

As to hygiene; I am quite meticulous with my washing and brushing habits I will have you know.

Now you see how ingeniously this thread of yesteryear can not only be stretched but enhanced.

Clip-clip, file-file, buff-buff ......Neil----------- or if you are from Northern Ireland, Nail
    Thanks Nail, or if you're from the rest of the UK [and depending of course on accent], Neil.

It's marvellous the way we garner these little bon mots over the years and I'm sure I'm not the only one who feels the information re your own nail status plus of course, your ear investigation habits have enhanced this thread and totally added to the forum cruising bank tips.

May your nails never break or snag and may you continue to investigate your ears with the required perfect length of finger nail.

Leave a comment:

• Taffy, Wales
    replied
    Nail advice update
    Snagged a nail yesterday whilst gardening, but ignored it. As my nails are [were, since filed right down!!] too long, it caught as I put the washed bedding on the bed last night. I half tore the nail right off, way below the nail line.

Huge ouch [said more than that!!!] and lots of blood. I used superglue to initially stick it together placed a small piece of single toilet tissue, just a bit bigger than the rip, on it, smoothed down with a cocktail stick, then another layer of superglue and then filed it all down as low as I could once it had dried. It still hurts this morning but it's rock hard and won't snag.
    A coating of clear nail varnish should finish the job. Hopefully, it should stay in place for a while and I'll keep refreshing until the rip grows out, which looking at how low it is, could be 4/6 weeks.
    Made my eyes water and brought back some not to pleasant memories, hope it grows out soon...Taffy

Leave a comment:

• Neil Down, Southampton
    replied
    Why is it that my nails seldom if ever break unless I am being stupid and turning screws with the because I can't be bothered to get a screwdriver; the tool that is not the drink?

I grow them to about 1/8 to a 1/4 of an inch above my finger and never need superglue.

I have to admit that I like the Chinese habit of growing each of the little finger nails a little longer so that I can investigate the inside of my ears to my satisfaction.

As to hygiene; I am quite meticulous with my washing and brushing habits I will have you know.

Now you see how ingeniously this thread of yesteryear can not only be stretched but enhanced.

Clip-clip, file-file, buff-buff ......Neil----------- or if you are from Northern Ireland, Nail

Leave a comment:

• Mrs M
    replied
    Originally posted by Jocap, Cumbria View Post
    Oh, Mrs M! I can feel the pain...and that's a long time to wait...
    I have worried a little on cruises when I've seen females with inch long false nails dabbling their hands in water in the Ladies', and wondered how many germs are lurking under those talons...
    Thanks Jo.
    I've been feeling the pain too. Still am but thanks for the kind words.

Superglue and loo paper is still rock hard. I think 8 wks might just about do it looking at how low down the tear is so I'm cautiously optimistic it will survive a few weeks before needing renewing.

Leave a comment:

• Mrs M
    replied
    You are quite right, nobody makes me do anything I don't want to do. It is one of the pleasures of being old but trust me..... they are getting less abundant, the pleasures that is.

Another of my pleasures is and always has been, being facetious. I might as well slide into obsequiousness if that was disallowed on here……

But it ain't and I am a happy bunny, allowing myself the verbosity and absolute freedom of being able to comment or abstain wherever and whenever I wish or until cruisedot really mess up the IT and that…. Is in the lap of the gods….as am I.

My finest felicitations to all who have managed to get to the end of this (insert your own word) …….Neil
    I managed to get to the end of your offering. Definitely full of verbosity [why use a few words when a few sentences will do] and verging on the grumpy, but not half so grumpy as you would be if you ripped your nail half way down whilst on holiday and ended up in the bowels of the ship at the medical centre.

My little tip might save you $$$.

Leave a comment:

• Mariers2, Rushden
    replied
    [QUOTE=Neil Down, Southampton;811454]You are quite right, nobody makes me do anything I don't want to do. It is one of the pleasures of being old but trust me..... they are getting less abundant, the pleasures that is.

Another of my pleasures is and always has been, being facetious. I might as well slide into obsequiousness if that was disallowed on here……

But it ain't and I am a happy bunny, allowing myself the verbosity and absolute freedom of being able to comment or abstain wherever and whenever I wish or until cruisedot really mess up the IT and that…. Is in the lap of the gods….as am I.

My finest felicitations to all who have managed to get to the end of this (insert your own word) …….Neil [/QUOTE

That was quite entertaining, Neil, and the bonus for me is that it was gratuitously given.

Leave a comment:

• Neil Down, Southampton
    replied
    Originally posted by Cooke, Ashby View Post
    Nobody makes you read them Neil.
    You are quite right, nobody makes me do anything I don't want to do. It is one of the pleasures of being old but trust me..... they are getting less abundant, the pleasures that is.

My finest felicitations to all who have managed to get to the end of this (insert your own word) …….Neil

Leave a comment:

• Dancing Queen, Chesterfield
    replied
    Where have all these fascinating threads gone? Same way as some of the banned contributors I see.

That passed an interesting hour or two whilst I was passing an hour or two that I will never see again. .....Neil

I rather enjoyed reading the thread Neil although I can understand it probably isn't of much interest to men thanks Mrs M a good tip and solution for a quick nail repair.

Leave a comment:

• Cooke, Ashby
    replied
    Where have all these fascinating threads gone? Same way as some of the banned contributors I see.

That passed an interesting hour or two whilst I was passing an hour or two that I will never see again. .....Neil
    Nobody makes you read them Neil.

Leave a comment:

• Mrs M
    replied

Is this a subtle Neil Down put down?

My ripped nail is still intact, painful, but intact. I trust you'll get some Superglue in on the strength [sorry] of my research!

Leave a comment:

• Neil Down, Southampton
    replied

Leave a comment:

• Jocap, Cumbria
    replied
    Nail advice update
    Snagged a nail yesterday whilst gardening, but ignored it. As my nails are [were, since filed right down!!] too long, it caught as I put the washed bedding on the bed last night. I half tore the nail right off, way below the nail line.

Huge ouch [said more than that!!!] and lots of blood. I used superglue to initially stick it together placed a small piece of single toilet tissue, just a bit bigger than the rip, on it, smoothed down with a cocktail stick, then another layer of superglue and then filed it all down as low as I could once it had dried. It still hurts this morning but it's rock hard and won't snag.
    A coating of clear nail varnish should finish the job. Hopefully, it should stay in place for a while and I'll keep refreshing until the rip grows out, which looking at how low it is, could be 4/6 weeks.
    Oh, Mrs M! I can feel the pain...and that's a long time to wait...
    I have worried a little on cruises when I've seen females with inch long false nails dabbling their hands in water in the Ladies', and wondered how many germs are lurking under those talons...

Leave a comment:

• Mrs M
    replied
    Nail advice update

Leave a comment:

We use cookies to give you the
best experience possible.

By continuing to use our website you
agree to our cookie policy

Working...
X