• Ahoy there! Why not join the UK’s largest cruising forum? The Cruise.co.uk forum is the perfect place to meet and interact with likeminded cruisers to have invaluable conversations. Whether you're a veteran cruiser or looking to set sail on the sea for the first time, everyone is welcome on our forum to participate in the hottest conversations in the cruising world. So, what are you waiting for? Join the forum today by clicking here to register!

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Nails

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Diva18, UK
    replied
    Originally posted by Elsie's Mum View Post
    I have been podding broad beans for weeks, dead heading and general mucking about in the garden, so my nails are manky and so are my hands. Nails and hair are weak anyway from medication, but I have lots more things to take my attention like a friend in the final stages of Parkinsons disease. No longer able to eat or drink but her mind remains razor sharp.

Anyone in good health at whatever age, enjoy it.

Liz
    Well said, Liz, far more important things in life to worry about. I too have manky nails and hands from keeping the garden under control and all the outside DIY work and painting that needs to be done at this time of year, because I have to do it.

However, my nails pass muster when I have done them to death with a nailbrush, scraped and scrubbed the dirt out and applied a generous application of hand cream.

Leave a comment:

• Mrs M
    replied
    Originally posted by MAGGIEMOU, CYPRUS View Post
    I trained as a manicurist as part of my Citiy and Guilds years ago, Nails are the same as hair, they are made up of keratin,so if your nails are weak often your hair will be the same. Eat healthy and use Sally Hasen NAIL GROWTH MIRACLE. It really works and you will see the difference within five days. It is on offer in Boots at the moment buy one and get a second half price. I know this for sure as I am in the UK and I always stock up on this product. Forget wraps and extentions. Just file your nails each week gently even if they are short and apply the SH nail growth miracle. It is all you need. I do have SH No more crack but like all things I broke a nail this week and did not have with me! Sods law but I am not too bothered I know by next week it will have grown back with the nailgrowth miracle.
    Maggie, I was a G.G., always prepared. I always travel with the S.H. nail powder and super glue!

Leave a comment:

• MAGGIEMOU, CYPRUS
    replied
    I trained as a manicurist as part of my Citiy and Guilds years ago, Nails are the same as hair, they are made up of keratin,so if your nails are weak often your hair will be the same. Eat healthy and use Sally Hasen NAIL GROWTH MIRACLE. It really works and you will see the difference within five days. It is on offer in Boots at the moment buy one and get a second half price. I know this for sure as I am in the UK and I always stock up on this product. Forget wraps and extentions. Just file your nails each week gently even if they are short and apply the SH nail growth miracle. It is all you need. I do have SH No more crack but like all things I broke a nail this week and did not have with me! Sods law but I am not too bothered I know by next week it will have grown back with the nailgrowth miracle.

Leave a comment:

• Balmcake, Leeds (2)
    replied
    Thank you for the replies to my query, I think some of you may have misunderstood, I have natural nails, and have never had acrylic or gel fake ones, I use OPI nail envy plus pro strong and various nail oils plus I have the nail eat and nail drink which I bought years ago, the problem is' my natural nails well three of them' have split horizontally across the nail bed about 3/16th of an inch past the top of the nail bed which I was bothered about catching as it would have been very painfull so I used a tea bag cut it to the shape of my nail and used nail glue to stick it with, to mend the tear until it grows out, silk wraps are ready shaped and self adhesive and mostly only available at a wholesalers and much stronger than tea bags but the glue may be a problem to get off,so thank you to those that gave me some ideas,and thanks to the others for advise, I think I am going to have to use acetone to soften it and see how that works, that sounds like a good idea, I am still using my nail envy over the top of the teabag and glue plus oil will let you know how I get on.
    Wendy

Leave a comment:

• Elsie's Mum
    replied
    I have been podding broad beans for weeks, dead heading and general mucking about in the garden, so my nails are manky and so are my hands. Nails and hair are weak anyway from medication, but I have lots more things to take my attention like a friend in the final stages of Parkinsons disease. No longer able to eat or drink but her mind remains razor sharp.

Anyone in good health at whatever age, enjoy it.

Liz

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    Try OPI Nail Envy, online or from QVC shopping channel, they also do a product by Pro-Strong, both are to strengthen and protect nails whilst growing. Pro-Strong have some pretty good before and after photos. My salon recently introduced Geleration, which is a gel polish by Jessica and set under UV light. It last two weeks, then I have a refresh, same colour, or deeper colour, and you can have french too, and on the 4th week, it is removed with a special remover and the process started over.

Leave a comment:

• Cooke, Ashby
    replied
    I gave up on my nails long ago. When I was a radiographer the boss said "long, pointed, painted nails" were unprofessional. When i ran a playgroup short nails were necessary and when I started teaching IT short nails were needed too. Since my hysterectomy both my hair and nails have suffered and need lots of help. Judith

Leave a comment:

• Dancing Queen, Chesterfield
    replied
    You could try an acetone free nail varnish remover .. I know someone who has used this to remove glue successfully.

As for silk wraps, they look very nice but they do weaken your own nails over time, try to persevere and grow your own, I swear by Mavala products, they do a very good nail strengthener - it only has to be applied once a week to the tip of the nail - looks expensive at around £5.99 for a tiny little bottle but it lasts for ages, their cuticle remover is great too.

I have beautiful long nails, have had for years and I put it down to using Mavala and also to never doing household chores without wearing my "marigolds".

Leave a comment:

• Mrs M
    replied
    Originally posted by Balmcake, Leeds (2) View Post
    Has anyone got any tips for natural nails, I grew mine to about a quarter of an inch over the end of my fingers but filed them down because they kept catching now they are about a16th of an inch over the end and typical three of them split across the nail bed 'ouch' so I used the tea bag nail glue method to repair them, I am going to buy some silk wraps to cover them and hopefully strengthen them until the split grows out, has anyone got any tips on how to remove the hard glue without damaging natural nails? I bought some crackle nail polish from QVC and put it over a pearl white enamel to cover the imperfections which worked, because a lady in the Levi's shop and one in Debenhams said 'they liked my nails' the crackle polish is very good for hiding things.
    Wendy
    I don't wear nail polish or anything as my hands are in and out of water so much. I found years ago that, like your hair, nails reflected your state of health. My nails look as if they have had a french manicure. Healthy pink nails and very white, strong tips.

If I snag one, I used to use Sally Hansen's 'No More Cracks' but for some reason it's discontinued. I managed to stock up on some two years ago from Amazon.com which means I have a decade worth of nail powder. For glue, I use whatever Super Glue we have around. Works a treat!!

Leave a comment:

• spartan, kent
    replied
    Originally posted by Balmcake, Leeds (2) View Post
    Has anyone got any tips for natural nails, I grew mine to about a quarter of an inch over the end of my fingers but filed them down because they kept catching now they are about a16th of an inch over the end and typical three of them split across the nail bed 'ouch' so I used the tea bag nail glue method to repair them, I am going to buy some silk wraps to cover them and hopefully strengthen them until the split grows out, has anyone got any tips on how to remove the hard glue without damaging natural nails? I bought some crackle nail polish from QVC and put it over a pearl white enamel to cover the imperfections which worked, because a lady in the Levi's shop and one in Debenhams said 'they liked my nails' the crackle polish is very good for hiding things.
    Wendy
    I often place mine in jointing compound this lubricates the nail, when soldering copper pipe I find the flux cleans the nail well and leaves a healthy shine

Pass the spanner

Leave a comment:

• Bigsis, Waterlooville
    replied
    Try using a buffer to remove the glue but carefully. Too much friction will cause more splits

My nails have been terrible for a few years, always breaking and flaking. Last year I had acylic extensions done in a salon I should have given a very wide berth which wrecked them even more. Thank goodness for 'Shellac'. A gel nail colour that sets with UV light and lasts at least 2 weeks. I had mine done for last cruise (cost £20) and they didn't snap, chip or fade. What's more is it's gentler on your natural nail and protects them while they grow

Leave a comment:

• Sophiesnores, Basingstoke
    replied
    I've only heard to soak them in warm lemon slices in warm water (helps whiten as well as the oils breaking down the glue). Have short n poor nails now as am working in a kitchen but had my best and strong nails when working in a stables and used saddle soap and neats hoof oil every day. My friend rubs hers with almond oil and swears it makes them stronger

Leave a comment:

We use cookies to give you the
best experience possible.

By continuing to use our website you
agree to our cookie policy

Working...
X