• Ahoy there! Why not join the UK’s largest cruising forum? The Cruise.co.uk forum is the perfect place to meet and interact with likeminded cruisers to have invaluable conversations. Whether you're a veteran cruiser or looking to set sail on the sea for the first time, everyone is welcome on our forum to participate in the hottest conversations in the cruising world. So, what are you waiting for? Join the forum today by clicking here to register!

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Nails

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Balmcake, Leeds (2)
    replied
    Hi Lizzie, an update I bought almond oil from Holland and Barrett i asked if it would be any good for nails and the lady said it was a base oil and could be used for anything that it was used with other oils for masaging, I bought a bottle at the princely sum of £3.99 or slightly less, also I went to a wholesaler and bought some precut silk wraps to put over the splits until the split grows out and tried them tonight and they are very good they are really smooth looking at them you cant tell and they just match the normal nails, plus I found a way to get the glue off with no problems.
    Wendy
    Originally posted by Lizzie, Lymington View Post
    Hi Wendy,

Lots of places sell it Amazon etc......However Body Shop do it in pen format, which means you only need to squeeze a teeny drop per nail.

I bought mine from a local Beauty Salon, titchy little bottle, called 'Solar Oil' it was only afterwards, I realised it was almond oil

So, when it runs out I shall be looking for a cheaper replacement!

Lizzie.

Leave a comment:

• Balmcake, Leeds (2)
    replied
    B]Thanks for that tip Lizzie, I will find out where my nearest branch is and pay them a visit, you made me chuckle when you said the rest of you was falling apart yet your nails were brilliant it reminds me of me I can hear the knees grinding when I get out of a chair or my car and whe I fisrt get up or out of car I could do with an ironing board to straighten me out, and we have a lovely long drive from Leeds to Southampton next month, thank heavens for cruise (in the car) control I think I will need it [/B]
    Hi Wendy,

Lots of places sell it Amazon etc......However Body Shop do it in pen format, which means you only need to squeeze a teeny drop per nail.

I bought mine from a local Beauty Salon, titchy little bottle, called 'Solar Oil' it was only afterwards, I realised it was almond oil

Lizzie.

Leave a comment:

• Lizzie, Lymington
    replied
    Hi Wendy,

Lizzie.

Leave a comment:

• Balmcake, Leeds (2)
    replied
    LOL thanks for that tip where do you get the almond oil from ?
    Wendy
    This will not help your current problem, but should prevent it reoccurring, Buy some almond oil, put it in a small 'dropper bottle' and put a drop on each nail at night time, rub it in and leave alone.

Hope it helps, the rest of me is slowly falling apart, but my nails are brilliant!

Lizzie.

Leave a comment:

• Lizzie, Lymington
    replied
    This will not help your current problem, but should prevent it reoccurring, Buy some almond oil, put it in a small 'dropper bottle' and put a drop on each nail at night time, rub it in and leave alone.

Hope it helps, the rest of me is slowly falling apart, but my nails are brilliant!

Lizzie.

Leave a comment:

• Balmcake, Leeds (2)
    replied
    Yes it makes my eyes water at the prospect of it,the tea bag thing does work but you do need camouflage nail enamel on to cover the slight raise on the edge I suppose it's better than lots of plasters, actually micropore is quite thin even that might be a good fix to go direct on the nail , you may just be onto something there
    Wendy
    Originally posted by Mrs M View Post
    EEEW...too much info. Think you def. have a problem. Makes my toes curl at the thought. If I were you, I'd tape the finger up with micropore surgical tape.

Leave a comment:

• Mrs M
    replied
    Originally posted by Balmcake, Leeds (2) View Post
    ..., I dont want anyone to get the impression that I am wrapped up in how I look because that certainly isn't the case , I just don't want my finger nail to tear right across my finger because it will hurt like hell, and I wont be able to do anything with loads of plasters stuck on my fingers, I will end up looking like Micheal Jackson did
    EEEW...too much info. Think you def. have a problem. Makes my toes curl at the thought. If I were you, I'd tape the finger up with micropore surgical tape.

Leave a comment:

• Balmcake, Leeds (2)
    replied
    I sympathise with your freind, I have seen what that disease does to people and it's shocking, I looked after my younger sister for more than a year whilst working full time , looking after an autistic son( who I still look after now and hes 41yrs old) my sister died but I used to take her everywhere in a wheeel chair, I have had to retire at 62 , I didnt want to but nature rewarded me with osteo arthritis of both kness and my right hip, life throws some dirt at us and we have to keep going, I dont want anyone to get the impression that I am wrapped up in how I look because that certainly isn't the case , I just don't want my finger nail to tear right across my finger because it will hurt like hell, and I wont be able to do anything with loads of plasters stuck on my fingers, I will end up looking like Micheal Jackson did
    Originally posted by Elsie's Mum View Post
    I have been podding broad beans for weeks, dead heading and general mucking about in the garden, so my nails are manky and so are my hands. Nails and hair are weak anyway from medication, but I have lots more things to take my attention like a friend in the final stages of Parkinsons disease. No longer able to eat or drink but her mind remains razor sharp.

Anyone in good health at whatever age, enjoy it.

Liz
    Last edited by Balmcake, Leeds (2); 21st August 2011, 05:35 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Balmcake, Leeds (2)
    replied
    Hi Maggie, my hair is quite good in condition and always has been, it grows quite quick too, I don't believe in over processing it so it stays in good shape, I have tried the Sally Hanson nail growth stuff, it was the same as OPI I have enough to keep me going for a while, the problem is that the natural nail is cracked about halfway down the nail bed so is in danger of causing me problems, it would be very painful if I ripped it, I read somewhere that the silk wrap is good for stopping the crack from going straight across until the crack grows out, I use a Leighton Denny crystal file which is very good for filing nails neatly and my nails are currently only about 3mm long from the end of the nail bed. I think its safer to keep them short, I have been on medication recently high doses of anti biotics and think that may have caused problems this is why I need something just for a couple of weeks until the crack grows over the end of the nail bed.
    Wendy
    Originally posted by MAGGIEMOU, CYPRUS View Post
    I trained as a manicurist as part of my Citiy and Guilds years ago, Nails are the same as hair, they are made up of keratin,so if your nails are weak often your hair will be the same. Eat healthy and use Sally Hasen NAIL GROWTH MIRACLE. It really works and you will see the difference within five days. It is on offer in Boots at the moment buy one and get a second half price. I know this for sure as I am in the UK and I always stock up on this product. Forget wraps and extentions. Just file your nails each week gently even if they are short and apply the SH nail growth miracle. It is all you need. I do have SH No more crack but like all things I broke a nail this week and did not have with me! Sods law but I am not too bothered I know by next week it will have grown back with the nailgrowth miracle.

Leave a comment:

• Balmcake, Leeds (2)
    replied
    I saw this woman she has the longest nails in the world they are really revolting, God only knows how she eats drinks washes etc millimetres are enough for me.
    Originally posted by tomvet, limerick, roi View Post
    I think you have already thrown in it the works. I am not going in to retrieve it for you, now with all this chat about talons and claws!

Mrs M - bet your nails are not as healthy as this!

This is gross!

Leave a comment:

• Hirst, Salisbury
    replied
    Hundreds of years ago when I was a teenager I remember reading that if you ate a jelly cube a day the gelatine contained therein would help strengthen your nails. At that time I had very weak, bendy nails, so I tried it. Lo and behold it seemed to work! Nowadays my nails are really hard and grow at a tremendous rate. They still break from time to time, but that's when I know I should cut them down again.

Who knows whether the improvement in condition was due to the jelly or just a coincidence? Who cares?!

Jenny

Leave a comment:

• Dancing Queen, Chesterfield
    replied
    I think you have already thrown in it the works. I am not going in to retrieve it for you, now with all this chat about talons and claws!

This is gross!

Aren't they just. Yuk !!! A couple of years ago on Aurora I was having a manicure and the girl doing it had nails which were about an inch and a half long even they looked gross.

Leave a comment:

• Mrs M
    replied
    Mrs M - do you ever get caught unawares? ever?
    Yep...should have said 'Be prepared'! I wasn't a terribly good G.G.

Nails are different though...always prepared!

Leave a comment:

• tomvet, limerick, roi
    replied
    Originally posted by Mrs M View Post
    Maggie, I was a G.G., always prepared. I always travel with the S.H. nail powder and super glue!
    Mrs M - do you ever get caught unawares? ever?

Leave a comment:

• tomvet, limerick, roi
    replied
    Originally posted by spartan, kent View Post
    I often place mine in jointing compound this lubricates the nail, when soldering copper pipe I find the flux cleans the nail well and leaves a healthy shine

Pass the spanner

This is gross!

Leave a comment:

We use cookies to give you the
best experience possible.

By continuing to use our website you
agree to our cookie policy

Working...
X