• Ahoy there! Why not join the UK’s largest cruising forum? The Cruise.co.uk forum is the perfect place to meet and interact with likeminded cruisers to have invaluable conversations. Whether you're a veteran cruiser or looking to set sail on the sea for the first time, everyone is welcome on our forum to participate in the hottest conversations in the cruising world. So, what are you waiting for? Join the forum today by clicking here to register!

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Are Diets any Good?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I have just just spent a month on a cruise and not gained any weight. I ate three full meals a day but I choose carefully from the menu. I did my normal work out daily in the gym, or if not I power walked the deck 10 laps, approx 3 and a bit miles, never took the elevator, used the stairs. Plus I never drink wine but I have a couple of glasses of champers daily before dinner. It is all down to discipline. Eat what you know is good for you and exercise and be disciplined that is the answer.Forget diets.
    There was a lady at our table on the cruise and she was very slim and in her eighties. Someone said she was lucky to be slim. She said rubbish it is not luck I have worked at it all my life. I had to agree with her as I have done the same.
    Sat next to the slim lady was another lady and she was grossly overweight. She ate 9 to 10 courses each meal time. I felt sick watching her. It was gluttony and nothing else. She had four starters, three main courses, and three to four desserts with a salad in between some nights. On the last night of the cruise she brought to the table a paper bag with suger in. She said it was Slender her favourite light sugar. She preferred it to Sweetex.I could not resist this as she had four desserts lined up in front of her. I said how come you are so concerned about the make of sugar when you eat all that sugar in desserts. This got the whole table going then as we were all horrified at the amount she consumed. She said she did not eat like that at home which made it worse as she was eating all she could as she felt she had paid for it! It was disgusting to watch.
    Maggiemou.

Comment

You see this happening in hotel buffet meals maggiemou. Although I am looking forward to the nice food on board I am hoping I can be a bit disciplined. Will have to hit the gym every day. Always try and use the stairs like we do if we are booked into a hotel somewhere.

Comment

Originally posted by Smith, Crayford View Post
        Oh Edna, if only I could be that disciplined.:o
        I'm not. That is why he has to keep reminding me all the time.

Hi Maggiemou, glad you had a great trip/ Missed you on the Black and White Ball. Thought you were going to swim over in your Ball Gown.:D
        EDNA

Comment

Originally posted by Edna , Cardiff View Post
          I'm not. That is why he has to keep reminding me all the time.

Hi Maggiemou, glad you had a great trip/ Missed you on the Black and White Ball. Thought you were going to swim over in your Ball Gown.:D
          EDNA
          Hi Edna,
          Sorry the water was too deep Also too cold Burrrr! Did give you all a wave from time to time during the crossing. It was fun wasn't it? Loved it when we got the force 12 gale.
          I Heard you met Spanish Lady. She is now all settled in on QE. I did her hair for her before I departed. She wanted a bit of purple in the front of her hair to shock her friends in LA. Now saving for the world voyage next year. regards Maggiemou. x

Comment

Originally posted by MAGGIEMOU, CYPRUS View Post
            Hi Edna,
            Sorry the water was too deep Also too cold Burrrr! Did give you all a wave from time to time during the crossing. It was fun wasn't it? Loved it when we got the force 12 gale.
            I Heard you met Spanish Lady. She is now all settled in on QE. I did her hair for her before I departed. She wanted a bit of purple in the front of her hair to shock her friends in LA. Now saving for the world voyage next year. regards Maggiemou. x
            Hi Maggiemou,
            Pleased you had a good trip, sorry not been in touch recently but love and all good New Year wishes to you and JT MBE.
            Liz
            xxxx

Comment

Are diets any good ?

Not really. Because you lose the weight and most likely you will put it on again. Healthy eating and exercise might be better. Cutting out fat and sugar. Or only having small amounts so as not to deprive yourself. When something becomes a not to have it makes you want it more.

Comment

I have read tips on here and another cruise forum on how to keep weight off on a cruise but all of them advocate exercising, not using the elevators etc. I have Chronic Lyme disease and have to manage my energy levels. I love to dance but I have to make sacrifices in other areas in order to have the energy to do it. I think just walking around the ship getting from one place to another will be a challenge for me. Does anyone have advice for those of us with mobility problems. I have managed to lose over 2st, still need to lose more but my weight is now stuck at certain level, moving up and down between a few pounds. I would love to lose another stone or two but am struggling. I'm really anxious about putting all the weight back on again on my cruise in October. I love my food and don't really want to feel as though I'm missing out/depriving myself whilst on holiday. It is so difficult to get the balance right.
                Sailed 24th October 2016 Queen Elizabeth (very 1st Cruise)

Comment

Firstly well done on the weight loss. I can empathise, having lost over two stones myself, but it took two years. If we hadn't done five cruises last year (very unusual) I should be another two stones lighter! I too have issues with activity levels as I have chronic knee pain. We use the stairs mostly, but sometimes it is just too painful. I love dancing, but just can't do it anymore. I follow a low carb, low calorie regime at home, but once in board, all bets are off. Life is too short to feel deprived on a cruise. Good luck. Judith

Comment

I have always loved brazil nuts, and many diets regard them as no nos, and i knew that would make me want to eat them all the more.
                    I don't know if it works for others, but I told myself brazils are medicine. This is usually a matter of small doses, so I would have 2, up to 3 times a day. I kept that up for so long, that quite often I forgot to take my "medicine" for weeks.

Now I tend to read how much sugar is in any foodstuff, because these companies that shout about low fat/no fat simply pile in the sugar, which is even worse than the fat. They don't really care about helping people to eat healthier things, they just want to make money.
                    When I go on a cruise I take my hula hoop (it comes in 6 pieces) to the gym, and if I can't walk round the deck, I use a machine, so being active is my way of keeping my mind busy.

Comment

We use cookies to give you the
                    best experience possible.

By continuing to use our website you
                    agree to our cookie policy

Working...
                    X